Author Topic: Instead of mildenhall camping weekend  (Read 6674 times)

Instead of mildenhall camping weekend
« on: 17 May, 2019, 09:25:24 am »
I found a camping site  near Stratford upon Avon called twiteys   tipis , lowe farm,
Hunscote lane, weĺlesbourne,Warwick,  Warwickshire  cv35 9ex which might make a nice forum meeting place as there is no mildenhall rally this year. This does not need to be the bank holiday weekend of course but around that time  . :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Instead of mildenhall camping weekend
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:30:49 am »

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2019, 11:05:00 am »
Looks promising.
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2019, 02:18:15 pm »
Having had time to have a proper look, it does seem promising.  Facilities, FIRE, non-tent options for anyone who's logistically challenged.  And they'll have more than one small tent on a 10m pitch.

Location is an easy ride from Stratford-upon-Avon (which has bike-friendly local trains to Stourbridge via Middle Earth, and Leamington Spa), or a bit further from Coventry, which is on the mainline.

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:27:05 pm »
Possible will let you know definitely nearer the time.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »
There seems to be a good network of lane's to explore   . We just need to herd cat's re a date's  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:05:59 pm »
There seems to be a good network of lane's to explore   . We just need to herd cat's re a date's  :)

Yeah, some good cycling around those parts.  The roads into Stratford can all be a bit busy, but you can find nice rolling lanes in most other directions.

I also note the airfield opposite the site has an audax-approved cafe (and, undoubtedly, wheelpants), as does the hayfever centre at Charlecote.  It's also within cycling distance of Henley-in-Icecream.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:11:12 pm »
Stratford itself is a bit like Bath with a Bard instead of Romans, but sort out a date and I'll try to be there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:04:46 pm »
I know of Michael Twite that owns the place - he's a landscape gardener and his men did a load of work at our house in SuA about 2004 - I didn't know he was doing the camping stuff.

Various positive comments above are all pretty true : there is an easy and safe way into SuA via Loxley, the Touchdown Cafe at Wellesbourne Airfield (about 400 yards from Michael's place) is a regular push and motor-cycle stop serving the all-day breakfast to die for and the ultimate bread-pudding (it's also an Audax control now and again), there is a Sainsburys about a mile away, a Co-op and 2 pubs in Wellesbourne, a few places of interest around with loads of quiet lanes ... and there's an LBS called Cycle Route Warks in the centre of Wellesbourne village managed by a smashing bloke who's really helpful*

The one possible downside, but only for a few hours, is that there is a MASSIVE market at Wellesbourne Airfiled (the other side from the campsite) on Saturdays and Bank Holiday Mondays (from about 0900 - 1500) and traffic on the main Warwick/M40junc - Stow/Cirencester road gets busy.

Rob

* there's a picture of the LBS manager at left hand side of this post  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2019, 02:32:51 pm »

Yeah, some good cycling around those parts.  The roads into Stratford can all be a bit busy, but you can find nice rolling lanes in most other directions.

I also note the airfield opposite the site has an audax-approved cafe (and, undoubtedly, wheelpants), as does the hayfever centre at Charlecote.  It's also within cycling distance of Henley-in-Icecream.

The ALC camped in the other nearby site a few years ago and Clarion can tell you about the planes. I can't remember about wheelpants, but there is an implausible Vulcan.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2019, 10:28:26 pm »
Implausible or Iillogical?  :D do people want the bank holiday weekend or a weekend in September?

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:32:13 am »
The ALC camped in the other nearby site a few years ago and Clarion can tell you about the planes. I can't remember about wheelpants, but there is an implausible Vulcan.

Nice airfield I did my flying instructors rating there many years ago.
Home

« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:34:03 am »
Implausible or Iillogical?  :D do people want the bank holiday weekend or a weekend in September?

Either of the dates and the location would normally suit me but the situation with Pauline dictates whether or not I can be there.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:29:17 pm »
Peering at the calendar, I'd suggest either the Mildenhall weekend, or if September the 7-8th to avoid FNRttC and ALC clashes.

Is Wowbagger still plotting a rival event in Suffolk?  That would be a deciding factor...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2019, 04:06:20 pm »
I thought Wowbagger had been forced to abandon the Baggerhall plan due to LIFETM?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:21:28 pm »
I thought Wowbagger had been forced to abandon the Baggerhall plan due to LIFETM?

I thought that was a dry run... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111579.0

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:52:17 am »
You know, for a minute I was thinking "It's a bit late to be organising things for the bank holiday weekend". But... as you were. Too many bank holidays. Not to mention half terms (which, for the childless among you, start tomorrow; I'm sure the last one only finished two weeks ago... ).

So, I'd vote for August bank holiday weekend. If we were voting or something. September 7-8 is good too.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2019, 12:32:22 pm »

I thought that was a dry run... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111579.0

It was supposed to be a dry run. I still haven't abandoned the idea completely.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2019, 08:59:47 pm »
I am happy to move this to accommodate wowbaggers meet if  it  helps. If so let me know what dates you are thinking would be good. I think September  7/8 is the best choice as although only a weekend the campsite should be cheaper? , and quieter ☺

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 26 May, 2019, 11:40:38 am »
I am happy to move this to accommodate wowbaggers meet if  it  helps. If so let me know what dates you are thinking would be good. I think September  7/8 is the best choice as although only a weekend the campsite should be cheaper? , and quieter ☺

Sounds like a good idea, two camping weekends are better than one, and it sort of makes sense to do the Mildenhall-substitute in that part of the world.  :thumbsup:

(Agreed that early September is an excellent time to go camping, as the kids are back at school but the weather's usually decent.)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 26 May, 2019, 12:44:19 pm »
OK. I must make the effort of going out to examine this campsite. Will probably do it in late June, as I'm off to Wales on Tues 4th with some Old Buggers. We are doing the Lon Las Cymru, meeting in Newport at lunchtime, and finishing in Holyhead on Weds 12th. So I'll have a look at the diary towards the end of June and try the place out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21 on: 01 July, 2019, 10:03:58 pm »
Any movement on this? I am becoming listless. The Cock at Broom has not gone away.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: 02 July, 2019, 07:49:35 am »
It has gone quiet hasn't it. I'm quite happy to contact twiteys if there is any interest   :)

« Reply #23 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:31:45 pm »
Is the Wellsbourne weekend still on?
Home

« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2019, 09:43:20 am »
What are everybody's plans for the Mildenhall weekend now? If nothing else is booked, we might make some different plans.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.