Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442212 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3325 on: 16 September, 2022, 08:28:54 am »
Almost too mundane for here, but exactly HOW many years have I been baking bread ? (ans: very lots). I bake 2 x 750g of flour big loaves at least once a week. How in the name of the sainted Delia did I manage to leave out the salt?

I've done that.  Once.  A mistake never to be repeated!

Because I start with an autolyse it is easier than you might imagine to forget the salt.  I changed my routine to leaving a ramekin with the salt in it beside the autolyse.

« Reply #3326 on: 16 September, 2022, 09:11:05 am »
This could go in so many places and not really divvery but anyway

Yesterday morning littlest monkey decided she wanted to use the apple corer/peeler but wouldn't work and I didnt have time to deal with. Last night looked at and realised she was trying to use the spiraliser not the apple corer

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3327 on: 25 September, 2022, 05:32:08 pm »
Yesterday I met some cousins. One of my cousins told this tale in which her husband committed arguably three instances of divvery culminating in an instance of great misfortunate coincidence.

He went for a long bike ride. This is the last good bit. Getting back home, he was too tired to put his bike away, so left it in the car. This was his first and arguably greatest mistake. He also left his wallet in the car. Mistake number two. Mistake number three was not paying attention to the texts from his bank that subsequently arrived in the middle of the night.

Waking up next morning, he tries to remember where he left the bike. Oh, it was in the car. Goes out to car. It is missing a window and the bike, and his wallet. Checks his phone. Looks like the thief has maxed out his bank card on cigarettes and scratch cards (it is not know whether he won anything). So he drives to the police station to report the thefts and...

...while he's in the police station, a random motorist crashes into his parked car, writing it off. The driver, who hadn't been wearing a seat belt, was found staggering around with blood pouring down his face and only wearing one shoe. "We'll call an ambulance. Sit down here and get your injuries seen to till it arrives." "I don't need an ambulance!" Jumps into car and drives off. Leaving my cousin's husband without bike, wallet or functional car, all in the space of 12 hours.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3328 on: 28 September, 2022, 09:46:33 am »
Measured the diameter of a thistle in our garden (110 cm), then let the tape roll back into its case. Realized with 40 cm to go that the thistle was dripping from last night's rain and I'd run a healthy dose back in with it. Now have to dry the thing out.  :(

Or ignore it. It's not a tape I'm fond of (Stanley Powerlock) and if it rusts I can get a new one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3329 on: 28 September, 2022, 02:11:46 pm »
Measured the diameter of a thistle in our garden

That demands an explanation!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3330 on: 28 September, 2022, 02:16:56 pm »
110cm?  Blimey.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3331 on: 28 September, 2022, 02:48:07 pm »

It was a little tasty patch he was keeping for his birthday, but, after all, what ARE birthdays? Here today and gone tomorrow.

« Reply #3332 on: 28 September, 2022, 04:46:15 pm »
I needed to fit a kayak hoist to get MrsC's kayak out of the way.

Lots of faff, including discovering that the supplied rope is too short.

Brackets up, more rope arrives, I get up ladders and thread 30m of rope around pulleys. Did I mention I don't like going up ladders and this is at the very top of a long double extension ladder?

Pat on back, job done. Try hoisting. Nope, won't work. Because the pulleys are designed to work when horizontal, and I've screwed them to sloping rafters.

Going to have to make some wooden wedges, fasten those VERY securely, then move the brackets.

I kind of knew this might happen, but didn't want to have to make and fasten the wedges.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3333 on: 28 September, 2022, 04:50:02 pm »
That is good to know as I've been pondering whether it would be possible to put one of those pully clothes drying things in the understair cupboard. Possibly not then...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3334 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:04:35 pm »

This one here:

MrsT has a wild-flower plot and this appeared in it.

« Reply #3335 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:38:17 pm »
That is good to know as I've been pondering whether it would be possible to put one of those pully clothes drying things in the understair cupboard. Possibly not then...

They are considerably more tolerant of odd angles.

the kayak thing has sheet metal sides around the pulleys, hence rope exiting at an angle rubs on the side.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3336 on: 28 September, 2022, 06:37:35 pm »
There’s generally two ways to source components for a pulley system, cheaply or right. Cheap blocks are usually constructed with fixed sheaves and need to be installed perpendicular to the floor, better blocks can be suspended by a single point, but these are generally sold as sailing accessories and are thus very much more expensive.

I’ve found the best ones to get for lighter loads (cycles, kayaks and the like) are those that are copy’s of old fashioned ones used for creels (clothes racks), becasue these have a single (longish) screw attached to the sheaves and frame and can thus be screwed in at an angle to the ceiling.

(Search for Pulley Maid if you’re looking)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3337 on: 28 September, 2022, 07:13:47 pm »
Anything with 'boat' in the product description automatically qualifies the seller to double the price (at least).
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3338 on: 29 September, 2022, 08:46:00 am »
Anything with 'boat' in the product description automatically qualifies the seller to double the price (at least).

I once read that a boat was a wooden shape in the water, into which one poured money.

« Reply #3339 on: 29 September, 2022, 09:04:06 am »

I once read that a boat was a wooden shape in the water, into which one poured money.

Bung
On
Another
Thousand

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3340 on: 01 October, 2022, 09:22:19 am »
Having completed a more important than usual backup of my NAS did I put it in the fire safe in a separate building?  No I did not, I left it sat next to the NAS just backed up.  Pillock 'tween.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3341 on: 01 October, 2022, 07:45:07 pm »
Lawnmower blade needs sharpening. I take it off, look at it; loads of dings and blunt bits. Using the bench grinder will be quick.

Run extension cord over, where are my safety glasses? Not on shelves, not in the endless piles of crap.

Bugger.

Well, I'll be really careful, don't want to damage my (very expensive) glasses.

Start grinding. Something in the way, that's annoying. What is it?

Oh. The strap of the safety glasses. Sensibly hung on the grinder for use.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3342 on: 02 October, 2022, 05:27:12 pm »
Went for a ride this morning, got about 5km down the road and wondered why I was feeling the cutout of the Brooks. Then I remembered, I was going to go out on the recumbent, but took the Fairlight instead to try it with a bar bag.

I don't wear padded shorts for the recumbent, forgot that I was wearing compression shorts under the MTB shorts
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3343 on: 08 October, 2022, 03:22:42 pm »
Two in close succession

Firstly wandered to lidl for some pizza toppings and beer to go with pizza I'm making for dinner, get through till, open wallet. Bollocks cards are in pocket of work jacket which is at home. Thankfully it's only five minutes walk to shoot home and get card

Decide to do some gardening and plant out some kale my mum gave me, my youngest loves an ice cream so we put the sticks in a jar to use for plant labels. I'm merrily potting out and think why is there a jar lid in my raised bed and chuck the lid down the garden towards bin. Thankfully found it once I'd realised

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3344 on: 09 October, 2022, 03:29:01 pm »
Spent a half-hour this morning hunting through chest, boxes & bags for my Paclite rain jacket, the red one that sticks out like a sore thumb. Finally MrsT goes "ooh, what's that?" and picks up a black zipped pouch. Me: but that's black, mine's re-... mine bundles down into the back pocket which is, er, black.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3345 on: 13 October, 2022, 11:10:20 am »
Realised about halfway to the station that I'd left my glasses at home this morning. Aaarrrrgghh!!

To compound the annoyance, the train was delayed so I probably would have had time to go home and pick them up.  >:(

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3346 on: 13 October, 2022, 12:09:03 pm »
Realised about halfway to the station that I'd left my glasses at home this morning. Aaarrrrgghh!!

To compound the annoyance, the train was delayed so I probably would have had time to go home and pick them up.  >:(

I have a collection of pound shop ones in my bag as I would not be able to work without some glasses. - They're not very good, but they will do in pinch.

« Reply #3347 on: 13 October, 2022, 12:24:11 pm »

I have a collection of pound shop ones in my bag as I would not be able to work without some glasses. - They're not very good, but they will do in pinch.
I have a pair that live at work permanently. Which was all very well until the first lockdown, when I broke the ones I  have at home. At that time work was a six train return ride from home to work and back again. Or an £80.00 mini cab ride  >:(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3348 on: 13 October, 2022, 12:54:41 pm »
I would keep a pair at work but I don't have anywhere to store them (the joy of hotdesking).

I only need glasses for reading, fortunately. I might see if there's a meeting room free - I'll be fine if I can sit at one end of the room and use the big screen at the opposite end...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3349 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:20:55 am »
My daily 'breakfast' is a protein shake comprising milk, protein powder and bananas.

We're out of bananas. I thought I'd use some frozen mango chunks we have in the freezer.

It tastes rank. It was butternut squash.