Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442217 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3575 on: 28 February, 2023, 10:09:14 am »
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

[“Unlikely!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3576 on: 01 March, 2023, 09:28:37 pm »
I am wearing my hearing aid, scrolling through this and building the enthusiasm to go for a post ride shower.

:) What could possibly go wrong between sitting here and soaking the litlle electronic device for the 3rd time.

Fingers crossed!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #3577 on: 03 March, 2023, 10:06:18 am »
We have a lovely chalk board meal planner by our back door. It says something like the heart of the home is the kitchen and has a heart cut out. We hang our back door key in the heart cut out. Yesterday went to lock back door. Caught key in the hole and pulled the whole thing off wall. A fumbled catch and wife had to help as I'd got it but was hanging over the dog bowls. We now have no Friday on the board and scared the life out the hound

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3578 on: 03 March, 2023, 02:26:50 pm »
I think, on balance, that this belongs here rather than, "Weird Dreams".

This morning I dreamt my alarm clock was going off and I woke up because of it.  My alarm was set for one whole, desperately needed, hour later.  Gahhh!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3579 on: 04 March, 2023, 10:35:38 am »
Heavy traffic on Billet Road last night.  “Aha!” says Mr Larrington.  “I will sneak down these side streets thereby circumventing the queueueueueue!”

Then clobbers the left front wheel of the Fast-Appreciating Future Classic against a kerb.  Bye-bye tyre with 3 months and fewer than a thousand miles use >:(  Pit stop inna-F1-stylee only took 20 minutes.  Even Haas can do better than that :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3580 on: 04 March, 2023, 03:27:37 pm »
Replacing rear brake cable & housing with a view to riding after lunch. Snipped cable, pulled it through, heard stuff going pock-pock-pock on floor as the wee rubber rings landed and pingfuckitted away out of sight.

"Oh well" and opened cable box to find half a dozen gear cables and none for brakes.  :facepalm:

Off to Decathlon after lunch.

Only not: replaced outer after lunch, finagling a bit to make the total run ~1 cm shorter, had enough of the inner left to make it through the caliper.  Cable runs freely, alles paletti.

Only it's still going to bloody snow tomorrow and I didn't get a ride.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3581 on: 06 March, 2023, 04:21:29 pm »
Mum wanted something hung on the kitchen wall.  I said it would be better on the opposite wall, where there are no services.  She insisted it went on the wall with the (few) sockets.  Turns out the water pipes for the utility room are, inexplicably, run down the kitchen side of a solid wall.  The masonry drill has grazed a water pipe, which is mercifully copper and hasn't sprung a leak.

Not sure whether to just leave it (masonry drills aren't sharp and it is quite likely to have merely burnished the copper pipe a bit) or cut a bigger hole in the wall and look.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3582 on: 06 March, 2023, 05:39:40 pm »
If you cut a bigger hole too,check, it’ll be fine but if you leave it, then the leak will start gushing water at 11pm tonight.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3583 on: 06 March, 2023, 06:44:53 pm »
If you cut a bigger hole to check, you'll find the original bit was just burnishing. But you'll cut through a hidden mains cable and a different water pipe whilst doing so.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3584 on: 06 March, 2023, 08:28:36 pm »
20230306_193704 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Untouched, by about 2mm.  The drill was snagging on the felt wrapping, not the pipe.

The weighing scales are now on the opposite wall and these holes have been filled.

I have some photos of the house at first fix stage, which are bloody useful for identifying safe bits of wall.  The stud/pipe/cable detectors are woefully random.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3585 on: 07 March, 2023, 10:01:41 am »
Hope that's just condensation...

rogerzilla

« Reply #3586 on: 07 March, 2023, 11:00:26 am »
It's dust!  It was a very hard photo to take.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3587 on: 07 March, 2023, 12:56:31 pm »
Gotcha.

« Reply #3588 on: 20 March, 2023, 09:17:49 pm »
I'm putting this down to tiredness and just being too busy

This morning our Cockerell was loud, i deliberately dont let the chickens out as early as did before one of the poults we were given turned out to be a boy. When went to let them out they were wandering round the run waiting for their food and water. Id not shut the door properly,  ill offer the possibility of a disclaimer that i cleaned the door which opens to become exit ramp so the encrusted mud probably ment the door latch was tighter

I am also Chicken sitting for  friend. Got home from work and wandered into their garden to give the chickens some grain and get eggs, it's still closed, strange wondered if the wife and youngest had been over and closed up. Nope I just forgotten to open it. They shot out for food and water but seemed ok

« Reply #3589 on: 24 March, 2023, 08:48:00 pm »
Fitted a new bottle cage on the MTB before going for a ride.

Old one had broken, and was mounted with the pump bracket on the seat tube.

Fitting new one, the cage would not fit nicely with the pump on the left side. So fitted it with the pump on the right side.

Rode the entire ride wondering why the smallest chainring was no longer an option. (It did improve my speed up hills though.)  The pump was actually stopping the front derailleur from going any further left. I lifted the pump in the bracket half an inch, and all 3 front rings are selectable again.

What a div
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3590 on: 24 March, 2023, 11:22:53 pm »
Good effort  :thumbsup:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3591 on: 28 March, 2023, 11:23:14 am »
Part 1:
Yesterday I dropped my hoover mini hand-held vac.  It no longer worked.  Not an expensive item and quite old so I make that about 4/10 on the divvery scale.

Part 2:
Today I picked up said vac switched it on & shook it & tapped it gently to see if there was a dodgy contact perhaps.  No dice so placed it on the counter while making a cup of tea & did a few other chores.  After a while I noticed a smell.  An electrical smell. Opened the back door to see if it was coming from outside - nope.  Penny dropped, I'd left the vac switched on.   It was, ahem, quite warm and after about 5 minutes still quite warm, possibly getting warmer.  9/10 on the divvery scale.  Only avoids the full 10 because I had caught it before thermal runaway set in.  After 30 mins outside on a hard surface far from anything flammable it had cooled.

Now dismantled & with the motor shifted back to the correct place it works again.  I will be monitoring it very carefully indeed for the next few charges!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3592 on: 28 March, 2023, 11:48:30 am »
Rolled over in bed last night and went straight onto the floor.

It's a double bed and I was on my own so no reason to have migrated to the edge.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #3593 on: 28 March, 2023, 12:14:06 pm »

It's a double bed and I was on my own so no reason to have migrated to the edge.
That is spectacular.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3594 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:14:38 pm »

That is spectacular.

Rolling out of bed can be a symptom.  Balance problems, or something (usually illness, medication or old age) interfering with the brain's mechanism for keeping us still during REM sleep.  Something to be aware of if you find you're making a habit of it.

« Reply #3595 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:28:21 pm »

That is spectacular.

Rolling out of bed can be a symptom.  Balance problems, or something (usually illness, medication or old age) interfering with the brain's mechanism for keeping us still during REM sleep.  Something to be aware of if you find you're making a habit of it.
I think it is a symptom of gravity.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3596 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:49:56 pm »
As I frequently observe, the sooner someone works out how to turn the gravity down in bed the better.  It would be a lot more convenient than detachable arms, which would also help.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3597 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:05:27 pm »
I leapt out of a double bed, but unfortunately leapt the wrong way. Consequently, I was still in bed.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3598 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:08:00 pm »
Seriously though, our ability to (normally) stay put when asleep is impressive.  Legacy of tree-dwelling apes, presumably.

« Reply #3599 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:12:23 pm »

That is spectacular.

First time for me (ignore the Uni days when the beds were 2'6 wide and 5' 10 long and your partner could easily push you out of it)

I think the problem is more mundane - I have a memory foam mattress topper which can migrate round a little and ruck up. I must have moved away from the ridge and ended up at the edge.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams