Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442219 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3825 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:24:26 pm »
I has a several of pairs of Reef slides, the sole of the rh of which features a bottle opener.
I think it is a surfer ting.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3826 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:26:25 pm »
I used to have one of the tin openers from military rat-packs as a key-ring, again, played havoc with trousers

I've got one in the kitchen drawer, or did have the last time I looked.  It's probably responsible for eating the tongs, coz I can’t find them anywhere.

As for bottle openers, I have a shark-shaped aluminium one on my big set of keys and one that’s part of a Jethro Tule.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3827 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:27:07 pm »
?

There are species of train carriages that have an arrangement of air vents that make a very good bottle opener, almost as good as a shimano cleat.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3828 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:52:59 pm »
At the York Rally last weekend I was using the bottle opener on my Topeak Alien multitool to open a few bottles.   It was closer to hand than the SAK.

Travelsplodges usually have a bottle opener fixed to the underside of a desk or table, but provide nothing for those of us that enjoy the grape...  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3829 on: 30 June, 2023, 09:03:42 pm »
My boy scout belt was a good bottle opener.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3830 on: 30 June, 2023, 09:49:42 pm »
My man always has a selection of devices to open any bottle I might desire. One never knows if the grape or the grain will tickle one’s fancy.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3831 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:53:34 pm »
I used to have one of the tin openers from military rat-packs as a key-ring, again, played havoc with trousers

Just a shame they were less effective on the tins that accompanied them in the rat-racks

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3832 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:05:47 pm »
At the previous igloo I had a suitably arranged SPD pedal in the shid.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3833 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:23:54 pm »
As a Penniless Student Oafette, Professor Larrington's party piece was opening BEER bottles with her teeth.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3834 on: 01 July, 2023, 01:08:05 am »

On holiday in Germany this week I bought a couple of bottles of localish beer to enjoy back at my cabin.

Hmm, how to open? Fortunately I remembered that the tailfin cargo cages have a bottle opener built into the bottom. Only other time I've used them was at munchen Hbf last year, some youths were failing to open bottles by banging them in a bench, and just damaging the bench. So I opened them for them. Much to their amazement.

Not really a tail of divery. More an addition to the bottle opener discussion.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3835 on: 01 July, 2023, 10:36:04 am »
Enough of this bottle opening - I am trying to remain / get sober for this evening's ride.  ;D

My tale of divery today concerns the discovery that ordinary disinfectant (that cheap thin brown stuff, just a capfull of which is great for stopping the smell that occasionally wafts up from the overflow in our bathroom's hand basin) - just a splash of it - does a great job of drying out the skin on your foot, to the point that 12 hours later it starts to sting like a bast...., and it might even wake you up thinking that you have just been stung by an 'orrible insect.

It took me another 12 hours to realise/remember the most probable cause of the dried skin and the stinging sensation, which was not improving with the age of the unwashed drip of disinfectant. It felt like the sting of an insect was still in the skin, but 'er indoors couldn't see anything amiss other than unusually dry scaly skin (even with a magnifying glass and reading glasses), where the splash had landed on the socked foot 24hrs earlier.

Now sitting with both feet in a bowl of warm salty water, hoping that the sting will stop, and sooner rather than later, if you don't mind.

What a div!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3836 on: 01 July, 2023, 11:53:22 am »
It's had the battery removed, poo washed off, been given a thorough squirting of IPA[1] and is now getting the warm dry air treatment in the back of the server rack.  I'm not hopeful.

Predictably, it boots up and sounds terrible.  I'm guessing the IPA has saved the electronics, and de-lubricated the transducer (which is the usual weak point of these things).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3837 on: 01 July, 2023, 07:29:18 pm »
Thought I'd save time and electron consumption for the Monthly Great Big Backup of All Things by copying those files from this disk to that ^^^^ one manually.  Instead copied folder containing said files to the same disk.  About 15 GB of video.

<== Div

« Reply #3838 on: 03 July, 2023, 02:19:39 pm »
Me

Event at work office next week

MrsC agrees I should go, and take opportunity to visit children on the way.

I make the complicated bookings (2 plane, 4 train, one Abnb)

MrsC looks at my travel dates "You will be missing the music festival"

Effing blocoks

Try to undo bookings. AbnB refund a bit of money. loganair let me rebook, no charge.
Bloody LNER require me to book a new ticket, then pay an 'admin fee', for something I'm doing on their website.

FFS, if only I'd looked at the calendar.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3839 on: 06 July, 2023, 03:54:31 pm »
And of course everyone knows that bottle-openers are kept in the bathroom.
Perhaps there is or was a species of USanian cosmetics that needed to be opened with a bottle opener? Or could it be that, in a hangover from prohibition, American hotels assume their guests will be ashamed of drinking beer and therefore want to hide in the bathroom to do so?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3840 on: 06 July, 2023, 04:24:01 pm »
The bathroom seems like a sensible place to have it to avoid issues with frisky beer.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3841 on: 06 July, 2023, 05:22:25 pm »
And of course everyone knows that bottle-openers are kept in the bathroom.
Perhaps there is or was a species of USanian cosmetics that needed to be opened with a bottle opener? Or could it be that, in a hangover from prohibition, American hotels assume their guests will be ashamed of drinking beer and therefore want to hide in the bathroom to do so?

Not the pikey ones this Unit stays in ;D

« Reply #3842 on: 06 July, 2023, 05:35:53 pm »
Americans have twist off caps, something you don't really see much of here. Once you learn as a student that a 3 pin plug or cheap lighter can be used to open bottles, you discover that people are lazy, and that "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" is bollocks. Once you learn to open a bottle, no one else wants to learn, they just want you to open their bottle.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3843 on: 06 July, 2023, 06:22:23 pm »
Don't any of you do the "lever off the cap with the cap of another bottle" trick? Involves holding one bottle upside down with the cap wedged under that of the bottle you wish to open plus an index finger as a fulcrum. Opening the last bottle is left as an exercise for the reader drinker.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3844 on: 06 July, 2023, 06:50:24 pm »
Don't any of you do the "lever off the cap with the cap of another bottle" trick? Involves holding one bottle upside down with the cap wedged under that of the bottle you wish to open plus an index finger as a fulcrum. Opening the last bottle is left as an exercise for the reader drinker.

I was Seriously Impressed the first time I saw someone do this, and if I were a drinker of BEER would make an effort to learn it, off-by-one errors be damned.

« Reply #3845 on: 08 July, 2023, 09:09:37 am »
This headline appears on my phone, Robert Jenrick has cartoon murals painted over at children’s asylum centre and I read it as "Robert Jenrick has cartoon murals painted, over at children’s asylum centre" and I thought, that's nice but why is it a headline?  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3846 on: 12 July, 2023, 07:22:12 pm »
And she's already got an appointment in a couple of weeks time to be upgraded to the New! Shiny! thinks-it's-even-more-cleverer-than-you latest model, which she will inevitably hate because of some combination of: AGC, inability to give her a sharp response peak at 1kHz, stateful beep-based UI, over-reliance on The Devil's Other Radio, general fiddliness and a lack of physical buttons.  (Seriously, the only thing worse than barakta swearing at Microsoft/Adobe products, is barakta with a new hearing aid.  She's also not wrong.)

The deed is done.  Barakta has been upgraded to a New! Shiny! thinks-it's-even-more-cleverer-than-you not-quite-latest model (because the latest one is a work of Stan for people more interested in pretending they're not a hearing aid user than hearing properly).  So far she's struggled to attach them to her head; found the undocumented mute feature that means it's not unfit-for-purpose; arsed about with The Devil's Other Radio, and had it spontaneously start playing Queen.  I expect there will be further updates in the rant thread, unless she manages to bogwash it first.

(click to show/hide)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3847 on: 12 July, 2023, 08:49:53 pm »
The reason I don’t get the latest New. Shiny. from the ENT department is, I’ve always assumed, because the major manufactures won’t sell them in bulk to the NHS at a reduced rate because they want to continue to be able to gouge folk the rough the private clinics first. When they introduce the latest tech to the private clinics, they then move the current gouge worthy products onto the NHS to ask room for the new. 

I suspect that given the fewer numbers of BAHA users there’s less of an incentive to keep the old tech in production when they introduce new stuffs.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3848 on: 12 July, 2023, 08:56:46 pm »
We've got with the future Beardy. BAHAs are made by Cochlear (who're mainly famous for cochlea implants) and Oticon who are a credible general hearing aid manufacturer.

Both types of BAHA use the standard Gadget-Wot-Works-With-All-Aids/CIs thankfully so there's less 1 aid + a different gadget for each fuckery than they used to have.

I've jumped ship from Cochlear back to Oticon which I did always prefer but had had to ditch due to obnoxious AGC. So far newOticonBAHA seems not to be doing obnoxious AGC but we shall see. Audi(ologist) also felt the new-Cochlear one was 1) not good at feedback suppression (a vital characteristic for a bone conduction aid which is physically vibrating to transmit sound) and 2) has no onboard volume control which was a dealbreaker for me.

So far, it sounds weird and I'm exhausted, but I don't hate it...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3849 on: 12 July, 2023, 10:37:31 pm »
Please don't call audiologists Audis.  It gives the wrong impression.  Especially on a cycling forum.