Author Topic: Boar - what to do with it?  (Read 5255 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Boar - what to do with it?
« on: 17 December, 2008, 04:50:26 pm »
Anyone got some first hand hints 'n' tips on how to turn a lump of dead boar into something yummy?  And what goes with it too?  I could use google, but first hand tips would be better!

My knowledge of boar is from this:

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

rae

Re: Baor - what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2008, 04:53:45 pm »
Um, whatever works for pig, but with a stronger flavour?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Boar - what to do with it?
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:01:50 pm »
What sort of cut is it?  How long has it been matured?

The best way to treat boar is in the same way you'd treat venison.  Depending on the cut and how long it has been matured, then it may need slow cooking or it could be fine for frying or barbecuing.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »
...The best way to treat boar is in the same way you'd treat venison...

Curiously, I agree ;)

leave it on the hoof
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »

It's a leg, but I dunno how long it's been matured for.

Niiiieeennnkkeeeee? - do you know?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Regulator

« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:09:05 pm »

It's a leg, but I dunno how long it's been matured for.

Niiiieeennnkkeeeee? - do you know?

I'd be tempted to bone it and adapt this recipe for Rolled Loin of Boar with Juniper Berries...

Ingredients

* 3lbs boned and rolled loin of wild boar

Marinade

* 1/3 pt red wine
    * 3tbsp vinegar
    * 2 sliced carrots
    * 1 sliced onion
    * 2 shallots roughly chopped
    * 2 crushed cloves of garlic
    * 2 bay leaves
    * small bunch parsley
    * few sprigs fresh thyme
    * few sprigs marjoram
    * 9 whole juniper berries
    * 2 tsp salt

Sauce :

* 3/4 pt stock
    * 1oz flour
    * 1 1/2 tbsp lard or olive oil

Method

Bring all the marinade ingredients to the boil, and simmer for 3 minutes. Leave to cool. Score the fat on the loin lightly across the top, and place the meat in a deep dish, covering with the marinade. Leave for 2 or 3 days, turning the meat twice a day. Remove the meat and wipe it dry. Place it in an oven-proof braising pan or heavy casserole dish over heat, and add the oil or lard. Brown the meat well and remove it from the pan. Bring the marinade to the boil in a second pan. Mix the fat and the flour into a roux in the pan, and strain over the hot marinade, stirring until smooth. Add enough warm stock to thin the mixture. Put back the meat, cover the pan and cook in a low oven (330 deg. F, 170 deg. C, gas 3) for 2 1/2 hours. Place meat in a serving dish. Transfer the sauce into a pan, skim off the fat and bring to the boil.

If you can get hold of a copy, I'd thoroughly recommend getting hold of Martin Knight's 'Wild Boar Recipe Book' - it's great.

Green Party Councillor

Nienke

« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:27:42 pm »
Great! Exactly the sort of thing I was after. I think it comes boned already, not sure about the rolling though, or about the maturing.

Now to find juniper berries...

« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2008, 06:05:27 pm »
I would think that the same things that apply to other game apply to boar. It will have less fat than a domesticated animal like a pig and a stringer taste so cook it in a way it doesn't dry out and be quite liberal with whatever flavourings you use.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2008, 06:09:40 pm »
Find someone to lend you a copy of "Silver Spoon", the Italian cook book, then take your pick :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:11:55 pm »
Sloooow pot roast and chocolate sauce.

Srsly. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:15:39 pm »
I say, those are my juniper bushes...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

goatpebble

« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:26:51 pm »
Find someone to lend you a copy of "Silver Spoon", the Italian cook book, then take your pick :)

Sir, this book is my bible!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Everyone should have this, immediately to hand in their kitchens!

I have an old copy (in Italian) which I sometimes try to explore. I now have the English translation, but the magic and struggle of trying to translate has gone!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #12 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:29:57 pm »
Don't tell me you've got a copy of Silver Spoon & instead tell me what it says about boar!   :D

Regulator

« Reply #13 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:30:09 pm »
The fat content will depend on what time of year the boar was killed (as happens with other game such as deer).  Boar has a higher fat content than a lot of other wild game, so doesn't always need to be marinaded.  

If you can hang it for a week or two, the flavour will develop beautifully.  Contrary to what you might think, boar isn't an overly strong flavour.  It is robust but can be overpowered - aim for subtle flavourings that will enhance the meat rather than something that will dominate it.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #14 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:10:12 pm »
Makes good burgers :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

goatpebble

« Reply #15 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »
The fat content will depend on what time of year the boar was killed (as happens with other game such as deer).  Boar has a higher fat content than a lot of other wild game, so doesn't always need to be marinaded.  

If you can hang it for a week or two, the flavour will develop beautifully.  Contrary to what you might think, boar isn't an overly strong flavour.  It is robust but can be overpowered - aim for subtle flavourings that will enhance the meat rather than something that will dominate it.

Boar is supremely flexible! I do not like pork, and was surprised at the flavour of wild boar. I don't like eating meat, but wild boar is so nice!

One of my neighbours farms boar, and there are wild boar in the forests nearby.

Regulator

« Reply #16 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:20:01 pm »
I shall have to wangle an invite to yours for dinner then, GP....  :P :P :P

;D

Green Party Councillor

Nienke

« Reply #17 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:53:06 pm »

Adam had some wild boar sausages the other week that were very nice as well. This may have something to do with us acquiring it now...

Sadly there will not be any time for hanging on our side, but I'll check with the butcher what's been done to it before.

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 17 December, 2008, 11:05:34 pm »

Adam had some wild boar sausages the other week that were very nice as well. This may have something to do with us acquiring it now...

Sadly there will not be any time for hanging on our side, but I'll check with the butcher what's been done to it before.

If it's come from a decent butcher (or game dealer in the UK - not sure where you are at the moment) then it's probably already been hung and will be ready to cook.

Green Party Councillor

αdαmsκι

« Reply #19 on: 20 December, 2008, 09:43:23 am »
It's coming from a decent butchers in The Netherlands and it better be ready to cook or we'll be having to find something else for dinner.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #20 on: 20 December, 2008, 10:40:58 am »
Don't tell me you've got a copy of Silver Spoon & instead tell me what it says about boar!   :D

I would do, but my copy is 250 miles away... :(

Oh and the Venison stew detailed within those pages is to die for (lots or red wine, cinnamon and lots of garlic is the jist of it :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #21 on: 20 December, 2008, 11:22:26 am »
My Sister and Brother-in-law live in the backwoods of the Massif Central. He culls a couple of boar every year on his piece of wilderness there...
His favorite way of doing things is to marinade in red wine with onions, garlic and herbs for a week or so and then spit roast over a slow fire. Quite labour intensive but it helps to have a motorised spit and gas fired coal bed...
The meal is a drawn out, sociable affair with chunks carved off the roast when needed.
We don't visit them near often enough....

Jezza

« Reply #22 on: 20 December, 2008, 12:33:11 pm »
I misread the title as 'bear'.

I expect the same suggestions apply.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 20 December, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »
Except THE LIVER IS POISONOUS!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 20 December, 2008, 01:33:23 pm »
I'd be tempted to bone it

The man's depravity knows no limits.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.