Author Topic: Six Nations 2024  (Read 3883 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Six Nations 2024
« Reply #75 on: 16 March, 2024, 09:18:46 pm »
Good show Scotlandland; made the Irish work for it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #76 on: 16 March, 2024, 10:53:47 pm »
Pesky French.  Bah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #77 on: 17 March, 2024, 08:13:28 am »
<pesky chuckle>

Damned close-run thing, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #78 on: 17 March, 2024, 08:54:47 am »
Gosh, so many close results.  Great competition this year.

Gatland appears to be investing in the future. C'mon Wales, things can only get better.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #79 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:06:35 am »
I may have seen a more inept Welsh performance than yesterday's first half but I'm struggling to remember when.

« Reply #80 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:14:26 am »
I saw the score just after England had scored a quick brace of trys.  All the hyperbole at the time made me certain that they would lose.
Is this the first time Italy have won two games (and they were so close to a third v France!)?  Let's remember this when we talk about kicking Italy (or Scotland) out because of their consistent poor record.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #81 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:21:32 am »
I may have seen a more inept Welsh performance than yesterday's first half but I'm struggling to remember when.

I started watching just in time to see the Welsh full back ( I think) going for the catch, but collide with team mate and drop the ball.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #82 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:41:43 am »
Is this the first time Italy have won two games (and they were so close to a third v France!)?
Two wins and a draw is their best result, but they got two wins in 2013 and 2007.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #83 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:45:21 am »
According to one of the colemantators Italy's result yesterday puts them ninth in the world rankings, one place ahead of…

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #84 on: 17 March, 2024, 12:40:06 pm »
There is no emoji that lols loud enough for that.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #85 on: 17 March, 2024, 12:53:43 pm »
That was a great day of rugby, unless you're Welsh. Even they woke up in the second half. Proper entertainment, which is what it's all about.

However, the scoring system for the table is odd. How come Scotland (W2, L3, 12 points) beat Italy (W2, D1, L2, 11 points) in the league?

« Reply #86 on: 17 March, 2024, 01:11:23 pm »
That was a great day of rugby, unless you're Welsh. Even they woke up in the second half. Proper entertainment, which is what it's all about.

However, the scoring system for the table is odd. How come Scotland (W2, L3, 12 points) beat Italy (W2, D1, L2, 11 points) in the league?

As well as four points being awarded for a win and two points for a draw, bonus points awarded for scoring 4+ tries in a match or for losing by 7 or fewer points.

Scotland's three losses were all by 7 or fewer points, and they scored 4+ tries in one match, hence they picked up 4 bonus points to add to the 8 points from two wins.
Italy picked up one bonus point because one of their two losses was by 7 or fewer points, to add to the 10 points from 2 wins and a draw.

https://www.rugbypass.com/six-nations/standings/

Edited
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #87 on: 17 March, 2024, 02:13:13 pm »
The bonus point system is a deliberate choice to encourage attacking rugby and points scoring. An exception is the three bonus points awarded for a grand slam. these are purely result based. In most grand slam years the grand slam bonus points are irrelevant but they are present specifically to prevent the other bonus points overriding a grand slam. The system could have been that bonus points only break ties in the win/loss standings, but that is not what was chosen, rather the system is explicitly designed to allow bonus points to change the win/loss standings.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #88 on: 17 March, 2024, 04:10:49 pm »
The bonus point system is a deliberate choice to encourage attacking rugby and points scoring.

In other words to provide more entertainment for the TV audience and make more money for the rugby unions involved.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #89 on: 17 March, 2024, 05:13:22 pm »
The bonus point system is a deliberate choice to encourage attacking rugby and points scoring.

In other words to provide more entertainment for the TV audience and make more money for the rugby unions involved.
at least they don't (yet) pause for adverts after each and every drive.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #90 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:23:47 pm »
Scotland also get a bonus point for having more South Africans than Italy.

« Reply #91 on: 17 March, 2024, 09:51:06 pm »
The most unexpected thing for me was watching a post-match interview (on S4C) with one of the Italian players conducted in Welsh (Stephen Lorenzo Varney, born and brought up in Pembrokeshire, Italian mother).

« Reply #92 on: 18 March, 2024, 09:12:36 pm »
Egads, to imagine that people would watch union for enjoyment!

« Reply #93 on: 19 March, 2024, 07:09:47 pm »
Just watched the BBC's beat trys of the 6 nation.  All but 4 of them were nothing to tune in for.