Author Topic: Noisy PSU fan  (Read 1454 times)

Noisy PSU fan
« on: 25 March, 2013, 08:41:40 am »
I have a PC that's been noisy on and off for ages. It's the PSU fan. It's been quiet for months, but now it's back to grumbling away. I gave it a blast of air the other day to give it a bit of a clean and that made it better for a while, but I think the simplest solution will be to just replace it.

I don't know anything about such things. The current one is only 350W. In fact, it is this one:

Can I simply replace it with this? I hope so, as it's only a tenner!

Is it simply a case of unplugging the old one, removing it and replacing? Anything I need to know or look out for?

Ta.

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Noisy PSU fan
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:52:39 am »
If you have an ATX based system then it'll go in and you'll have the necessary plugs for your mobo.

Consider also replacing the fan of the PSU.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:55:31 am »
Hi Bobb,

Yes, it's just as easy as unplugging one and plugging in t'other. However a cheap tenner's PSU from Maplin possibly won't be massively quieter than the one you have now, especially as the fan appears to be smaller on the Maplin one (and so faster and louder).

If you can stretch to fifteen quid, something like this with a 120mm fan should be quieter still.

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2013, 09:25:47 am »
Consider also replacing the fan of the PSU.

The fan is the only thing that's knackered. As it's a sealed unit*, that's the reason for replacement.

* Well, it says don't fuck with it and I'm not going to argue as I don't know what I'm doing!

If you can stretch to fifteen quid, something like this with a 120mm fan should be quieter still.

Nice one! Will that fit OK - a straight swap?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2013, 09:31:19 am »

Should do. They're all standard fitments (the relevant TLA you're looking for is "ATX").

C

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2013, 09:33:41 am »
They say don't fuck with it because the capacitors can retain a dangerous amount of charge for a long time after disconnecting.  That's not going to stop me, though, with my more expensive PSU, but of course it's not worth it for a cheap one.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2013, 10:15:30 am »
There is one thing you should check. If you have a SATA disk, they have a different connector which may not be one of the standard leads that comes from the PSU - I guess most new PSUs would have this. Alternatively adapter cables are available.

216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2013, 10:23:48 am »
OK, I'm just gunna check what connectors I need, I notice in some of the reviews some people are complaining about lack of certain connectors etc...

« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2013, 10:37:09 am »
As you would expect, you will get what you pay for.  I have moved to Enermax psu's.  Expensive but so far 100 % reliable and long lasting.

I would also consider dismantling a psu taking great care.

« Reply #9 on: 25 March, 2013, 12:45:46 pm »

Should do. They're all standard fitments (the relevant TLA you're looking for is "ATX").

C

OK, that's ordered. Having checked, I think everything should be fine. If it isn't, I shall hold you personally responsible  :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »
I've replaced PSU fans, but I do a reasonable impression of someone who knows what they're doing.

Connectors are the main thing to watch out for.

Posh high-efficiency PSUs with large diameter (= slower, quieter) fans are well worth it for machines that get a lot of use.

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2013, 07:56:21 am »
I now haz new PSU installed. The silence is defening  :P  Cheers for the advice  :)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2013, 08:31:20 am »
I now haz new PSU installed. The silence is defening  :P  Cheers for the advice  :)

I once built a PC to run 24/7 in my room student halls, 3ft from my bed. The PC running all night in the room next door kept me awake  :facepalm:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2013, 09:38:54 am »
I've already got a quiet fan in mine, but I fancy fitting an even quieter one.  I have a Noctua standing by.  Just got to find out how to do it safely.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●