Author Topic: Ribbon cable removal  (Read 1086 times)

Ribbon cable removal
« on: 21 January, 2019, 12:51:49 pm »
Taking a Garmin apart, the ribbon connector appears to be one I'm not confident how to disassemble, and rather than apply  force, there's probably a technique to remove. My #1 technique will probably be to replace the battery with the cable in place but as even the battery link seems to have an unusual latch on it, I'd rather strip it off

Anyone know how these work?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Ribbon cable removal
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:53:46 pm »
The little pips, either end of the cream bit should push upwards (i.e. away from the pins).  The plastic strip is on an angled strip which tightens down on the contacts the more you push it down.

Hope that makes sense.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:54:29 pm »
The two black cylindrical things at either end of the row of terminals are clips - which need to be un-clipped before tugging on the plug.

ETA Beaten to it by Tiermat.

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2019, 01:36:36 pm »
It's what I thought, but blowed if I can do it......

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:04:29 pm »
The pictures a bit indistinct but it looks like it might be the kind where you hinge up the rear (black) part to unlock it.

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:35:16 pm »
No, it's not that.

The more I look at it, the more it seems to be designed as a locking clip for single use.

« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »
The solution is in the first response.

Looks like someone has tried to pry it open at some point and snapped off a piece on the off white section.

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2019, 10:54:19 am »
Replaced battery successfully without removing the screen ribbon, all good.