Author Topic: Genesis Steel Frame Warranty??  (Read 3133 times)

Genesis Steel Frame Warranty??
« on: 21 June, 2019, 05:00:16 pm »
Anyone got an idea what the warranty is on their steel frames? I can only find reference to carbon and aluminium.
The lower part of both lugs on the steerer/top and down tube, seem to have developed some rusting.
The bike is a 2018 Longitude - 13 months old
Thanks

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Genesis Steel Frame Warranty??
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:06:54 pm »
Can't see any pictures but if it's external corrosion then that is specific to the paint finish, not the frame. The dealer you bought the bike from is your first point of contact.

Seeing as it's a mountain bike you may have difficulty convincing them it's a paint fault, the finish could have easily been damaged riding off-road in muddy conditions or by stone chips and the like.

Worth pointing out that if you are not the original owner of the bike neither the shop nor the manufacturer has any obligation to honour any warranty and that the warranty period is specifically from the original date of purchase. After that it's down to good will from the manufacturer.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:37:16 pm »
Thanks, I'll be going over to the dealer tomorrow (I am the original purchaser) to see what they say.
The rust is on both lugs. Under both tubes at the rear of the lugs. There is no welding on that part, so I'm assuming that's how there was water getting in. Given the position of it, it's difficult to see how anyone could say it is caused by damage
I'll try again with a Google Drive link
Downtube
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-54Lvda-aROvZZMTrznoAmVo0Lbiz7GP/view?usp=sharing

Top tube - obviously this should have been taken horizontally
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3frAMbWc4ru6kOr9GoO15LNSuRN9GC4/view?usp=sharing

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:19:34 pm »
Not protected by the paint?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2019, 07:48:54 pm »
I agree about the paint damage, it's not arguable. Just poor application of insufficient paint in production.

I expect Genesis will act all surprised but i'd guess you're not the first to have that issue...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2019, 10:27:07 pm »
Not protected by the paint?
There seems to be a miniscule gap where there is no weld, probably not enough to keep water off unprotected steel

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2019, 04:04:18 pm »
Took it back to the shop today. LBS Man took a few pics after saying "Ooh, it is, isn't it"
They'll be getting emailed to Warranty Man/Woman, or I might have to give it to them for further inspection (which is awkward as I use it for commuting)
Best get myself comfortable, it took 8 weeks to get a broken 3 week old saddle swapped  :-[

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2019, 04:26:19 pm »

There seems to be a miniscule gap where there is no weld, probably not enough to keep water off unprotected steel

It's not a lug, it's a gusset.  :o Designed to strengthen the joint without losing the 'feel' of a steel frame.
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2019, 08:09:39 am »
Took it back to the shop today. LBS Man took a few pics after saying "Ooh, it is, isn't it"
They'll be getting emailed to Warranty Man/Woman, or I might have to give it to them for further inspection (which is awkward as I use it for commuting)
Best get myself comfortable, it took 8 weeks to get a broken 3 week old saddle swapped  :-[

Sounds like a valid reason for n+1.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2019, 08:14:04 am »
It is a gusset, they have cut corners by not welding all the way round and the paint hasn't 'sealed' it.

That is poor, the kind of thing I'd expect on a £70 supermarket bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2019, 10:36:53 am »
Yes it is a gusset, you're both correct. For some unknown reason, I had it in my head that it enveloped the tubes  :facepalm:

Sounds like a valid reason for n+1.
Sshh, I've already drawn up a shortlist  ::-)
https://bikepacking.com/index/rigid-steel-off-road-touring-bikes/

fuzzy

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:08:48 am »
genesis is distributed by Madison. They generally want the item back for inspection before making their decision.

Having said that, most manufacturers want bikes back first.....

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2019, 05:10:34 pm »
So, I had the following response from the LBS today
This would be considered a maintenance issue, rather than the result of any manufacturing defect.  You can advise your customer that after riding in wet conditions he could use a water-dispersing spray to avoid the build-up of moisture in these areas.

Kind regards,

Darrel Stadlen
Warranty Technician

And I've responded with

Thanks for copying their response, which I find disappointing and unacceptable.
Can you tell them that I disagree, and the the rust is obviously due to a manufacturing problem due to not being painted or protected properly.
And also ask if there is anything in the owners manual or website, that warns me that there are hidden, unpainted areas on the frame that require the treatment he suggests.
I am now left with a frame that has rusted within a year, and I have no way to check how far it has gone due to the hidden nature of where it is. The fact that there are gussets welded in this area, suggests that they are a critical part of the structure.
If the frame fails while I am riding the bike, the results could be catastrophic, again, I have no way to check how badly the rust has developed under the gussets

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2019, 06:09:40 pm »
This was all I could find:

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/files/docs/Reynolds%20frame%20care%20guide%20V4.pdf

If you are still in 1 year, isn't a manufacturing defect?

ETA: PDF from here: https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/contact
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2019, 02:46:06 pm »
Hmm, that may be a fly in the ointment. Although I only noticed it 13 months in, I would think it was obviously there before that. Also, not as obvious an area to treat, like the inside of the frame.
Fingers crossed then (and it's " MJÖLNIR " steel, not Reynolds, no mention of that anywhere  ;D )
Thanks for that