Author Topic: Parking brake and 2009 ICE Q  (Read 2027 times)

Parking brake and 2009 ICE Q
« on: 19 July, 2018, 03:37:30 pm »
Overhauling my ICE Q prior to my second attempt to fit a motor I am wondering about fitting a parking brake while all is easily accessible. It would be a disc on the Alfine 11 IGH
On my last ICE (QNT and hub brakes) I used a velcro strap to hold one brake lever on. It always worked.

Is there much or any advantage to fitting a disc to the rear and a ratchet lever under the seat?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Parking brake and 2009 ICE Q
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »
I use it the vbrake on the rear wheel as I would a hand brake on a car.  The drum brakes on the front wheels are my main driving brakes  ☺
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2018, 06:09:31 pm »
A shifter's a fair bit more convenient than a velcro strap, especially when you want to stop briefly and do something with both hands (add/remove clothing, take photos, that sort of thing).  I have an auxiliary V-brake on my Streetmachine that I use like a car handbrake (also functions as source of donor parts should I damage a gear shifter mid-tour).  Unless you need it for legal compliance[1], if you're happy with velcro, that's fine too.

Main advantage to having a rear brake on a tadpole trike is for handbrake turns when it's icy.   :demon:

[1] If you've got a setup where a single lever operates both front brakes like barakta and Tigerbiten have, you need the rear parking brake as an independent braking system.

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2018, 07:30:38 am »
OK. Thank you both

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2018, 09:47:33 am »
You should be able to pick up a MTB friction lever for £5-10.
Match it with a BB7 caliper and a gear cable you're done.
But ......
Remember it has to 100% off before you start pedalling otherwise it's hard work ........  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2018, 09:58:58 am »

Remember it has to 100% off before you start pedalling otherwise it's hard work ........  ;D

Been there done that.  10 miles on the tandem.  Thought the stoker had her feet up   ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2018, 10:43:40 am »

My XXL has a little sticker on top of the front derailleur post readind "BRAKE!!1!" after the hardest 23 km evvah on the Denmead Summer 200  :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2018, 11:15:16 am »
The corollary to that is that when you do have a parking brake, you'll find yourself groping for it in the vague hope that you've accidentally left it on every time the going gets tough...

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2018, 02:57:55 pm »
Unless you are Jonathan notp   ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »
I've managed to ride away slowly with the velcro around a front brake.
Cycleman was there so I will blame him  :P

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »
Sorted. A Shimano rotor, mechanical caliper and a very old ratchet thumby.
Not sure I have the cable run right but it works up in the air on my workstand. :)