Author Topic: Getting rid of old tools.  (Read 1445 times)

Getting rid of old tools.
« on: 13 September, 2019, 10:50:37 am »
I have a load of old tools, building and woodworking, that I would like to donate to a good cause. 

Unfortunately local charity shops are not that interested but I understand there are charities who send tools to Africa.

Any recommendations in the York area would be appreciated, I can't seem to find a collection point in a reasonable distance so far.

Move Faster and Bake Things

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Getting rid of old tools.
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2019, 11:09:15 am »
Maybe a local hackspace?
Or a tool library?
Or a wood recycling project? https://www.communitywoodrecycling.org.uk/stores/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2019, 11:23:18 am »
Workaid have a collection point in the Ilkley area but being a softy southerner I don't know how far that is from you.

https://workaid.org/
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2019, 11:37:09 am »
Workaid have a collection point in the Ilkley area but being a softy southerner I don't know how far that is from you.

https://workaid.org/

It's not too bad if I need to go to Harrogate, make a nice trip in the Dales, weather like this.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:28:02 pm »
Not exactly a charity but a good cause - is there a nearby "Men's Shed" ?   

They make all sorts of stuff that is frequently sold for charity - and it keeps bored, retired men's minds occupied ... and in some instances they assist people teaching them DIY skills.

Rob

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:34:59 pm »
I have a load of old tools, building and woodworking, that I would like to donate to a good cause. 

Unfortunately local charity shops are not that interested but I understand there are charities who send tools to Africa.

Any recommendations in the York area would be appreciated, I can't seem to find a collection point in a reasonable distance so far.

The Friends of Sierra Leone Railway Museum desperately need tools, and the chairperson lives in York (off Boroughbridge Road). We are a registered Charity, (I am its treasurer, but I don't live in York).  Hope this helps (both you, and us!)  if this suits, I'll DM the address and contact details.
Wombat

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2019, 09:46:26 pm »
Tools for Self reliance build up tool sets for Africans to become self employed with skills that help their communities.
If you contact them they have people who collect the tools for them in many parts of the country.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2019, 12:11:06 am »
If you can't find a good place to donate them, some of the shops in Kirkbymoorside do a trade in old tools.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:35:08 am »
Wickes had some scheme - don't know if it's still running.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2019, 11:21:18 pm »

I run woodworking and craft programmes for children and young people, and am often looking for duplicate tools.  I recycle what can’t be used and proceeds go to Tools for Self Reliance.  I live near York. Happy to discuss via dm etc

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2019, 07:52:28 am »
That ^^^ sounds like a good idea.  I have a chum who runs classes like that; it's great to see what the kids turn out, and their pride in doing it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight