Author Topic: Minor pootle in Surrey  (Read 2078 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Minor pootle in Surrey
« on: 13 April, 2015, 02:35:37 pm »
Having not done any decent ride for a while I made some time for myself yesterday and got the hell out of dodge. It also gave me a change to test out the new soot bike on some actual hills and for a decent distance. I have planned out a route that takes me from home (Raynes Park) to Ranmore Common and then back home via Box Hill. Its about 68km in total with just under 800m of climbing.

Left home at about 8.30 am with only a strong coffee to fuel me, went via the cashpoint at Raynes Park station and then spun through the back roads of Raynes Park, Motspur Park (past the Fulham training ground) and then through Old Malden. Its a nice little decent down Church Road and it almost looks like a bit of countryside with paddocks and the Hogsmill River running along side. The road is a little rough but there are few cars and you can get up a good head of steam. I quickly ended up back in Suburbia by the Hogsmill Inn Carvery and then made my way through Hook and the back roads of Epsom- all highly forgettable but fine to ride.

You really feel like you are in the countryside once you come round the back of Epsom Hospital and then get onto Wilmershatch Lane- the trees get big (as do the houses) and then after the first real incline the countryside and the areas where the racehorses train opens up. You also pass the RAC's countryside hideaway! The climbing then continues up into Headley, again the roads are a bit rough but the scenery is pleasant enough and as you come under the M25 you hear the roar of the traffic as some sort of distant reminder of your cares! The last stiff slope up to Headley was easily dispatched (the saucy carbon steed happy as larry at this point.) and a sharp left onto NCR 22 takes you down a narrow lane which often has horses and their riders around. I am always careful with my speed here given the nature of horses.

Following along NCR 22, after the narrow lane comes to an abrupt end and joins a bigger road, I then went down Logde Bottom Road, perhaps one of my favourite bits of road in Surrey. Its quiet and plunges down into the Valley in between Juniper Hill and Box Hill. Here I get up a good head of speed, clicking through the gears and testing the new bike out for both speed and comfort. It passes with flying colours and a grin appears on my face. Having turned into Headley Lane, the road ends in a T junction with the Old London Road, giving a brief pause to regain my composure after the fun of the decent. I follow the road round, forsaking the Box Hill turn and heading onto the A24 before turning off towards Westhumble and the first real stiff test of the day.

At this point I realised I was a bit peckish and should probably have got something to fuel me. Unfortunately Pilgrim Cycles was closed (not sure what I expected early on a Sunday morning!) so I realised I would have to wait until I hit the top of box hill with most of my climbing out of the way! I carried up along Chapel Lane, gaining a little height as I went and noticing more cyclists as well. A kind Sainsbury's delivery driver pulled over to the side at a narrow bit to let the half dozen cyclists there through and gave a happy wave before he set off again. How different it is outside of London! I then turned onto Ranmore Common Road and girded my loins for the 2km of climbing ahead. My breathing felt fine but my legs were complaining- it looks as if my recent running had improved my cardiovascular fitness but shot my cycling legs! I clicked down the gears and span my legs. Its not a bad climb, the road is a touch rough but its quiet and the scenery is pleasant. A mountain biker ahead of me on the road suddenly dove off up the hill on a dirt track- rather him than me! The road keeps going up with a couple of shallow corners almost until the end, where there is a hairpin bend with a very steep slope- at this point I was in 34/28, as low as the new bike goes but my legs kept going and I reached the welcome view of the Denbies Vineyard at the top. With a decent sense of achievement and relief that the more ambitious gearing of the new bike, I rewarded myself with a swig from my water bottle and get off along the ridge and past the church. It really is very pretty up there!

At the T junction at the end of the North Downs Way I turned left and plunged down the Ranmore Road, its steep and fast and a whole lot of fun. I found myself in the big ring, clicking up the gears and reaching 65kph. I let out an involuntary whoop of joy at this point! Near the bottom I slowed as I knew the municipal dump on the left often had a queue of traffic but as it was clear I span my legs again and shot along the top side of Dorking, rejoining the A24 and following the cycle path up towards Box Hill. On reaching the turn I swung in with the hoardes of other cyclists, set a gear and span my legs. I also realised at this point that I was getting hot so I rolled down the arm warmers and had another swig from the bottle. Box Hill is never exciting as such and as I still hadn't eaten I took it easily, sticking in a gear that allowed me to spin up. The views opened out and the smooth tarmac allowed me to glide along, making it obvious why so many cyclists are attracted here. I reached the top, not even out of breath (but having gone very slowly!) and finally pulled in at the Cafe. There were already many cyclists at the top of the hill and for the first time I even saw another one with the same make of bike as mine (an Aprire- a local company from New Malden). I got myself a coffee and a stupidly large lump of flapjack (later to be regretted with much indegestion) and had a 20 minute refuel.

Suitably fuelled I then made my way up and over the highest point of the hill and back down towards Headley. On the Headley Common Road (another nice stretch with the Common and cricket pitches) a jam of cyclists and cars formed when a horse got spooked (by a plastic bag!) and refused to move. Some friendly chat with the other cyclists and the riders ensued and once the horse was calmed we all got on our way with a wave. The route rolls from there down through Langley Vale and then up to the Downs and the race course. After this the rude reminders of civilisation start with some close passes and crappy driving as I head down along Fir Tree Road (past Corridori- I will have to go in one day) and towards the A217. I cross the A217 and head towards Banstead, skirting round it and making the last climb of the day up Winkworth Road.

This leads me to old stomping grounds as I grew up in Sutton and worked for a time at the Marsden. I fly along Sutton Lane, getting up a good head of speed as it tips gently downwards. One last grin before taking to the back streets of Belmont and Sutton, taking me to Gander Green lane (past the Sutton United ground, scene of my only ever TV appearance) and then over to Garth Road, past the dump and the cemetary and back towards Raynes Park. I avoid the obvious and busy Grand Drive, again sticking to the suburban back roads and coming down past Cannon Hill Common- it reminds me that I must take my son out for more bike riding lessons. Home then and back to reality with a trip to the Garden Centre and an afternoon of planting.

I know London and Surrey have there detractors but if you make the most of what there is then there are some wonderful places to see and cycle, especially once you start to stretch the distances a little further than the 67k of this ride. It just leaves me searching for time and planning the next trip!

Re: Minor pootle in Surrey
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
God, I know virtually everyone of those roads and turns without looking them up.

Nice write up, thank you.
Rust never sleeps

menthel

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »
God, I know virtually everyone of those roads and turns without looking them up.

Thanks, I know them well too but I still have to use my Garmin given my poor sense of direction!

A lack of urge to work led me to typing this as it seemed more fun that the alternatives and I could actually remember where I went yesterday!

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2015, 09:45:38 pm »

+1. Glad you are liking your new bike.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2015, 11:11:01 am »
Nice report. I recognised most of those roads too.  I was up on Ranmore the same day with the Tandem Club. We came up from Dorking, the way you went down.  If you had turned right at the T, instead of left, and headed to the carpark you could have got coffee and CAKE at the wee van.  She's there most Sundays, as well as Thursdays and Fridays.

Linky
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

menthel

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2015, 04:22:21 pm »

+1. Glad you are liking your new bike.

Thanks, its a lovely ride.

menthel

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2015, 04:23:15 pm »
Nice report. I recognised most of those roads too.  I was up on Ranmore the same day with the Tandem Club. We came up from Dorking, the way you went down.  If you had turned right at the T, instead of left, and headed to the carpark you could have got coffee and CAKE at the wee van.  She's there most Sundays, as well as Thursdays and Fridays.

Linky

I have seen the van before on one of my longer loops, usually via Friday Street. I am also pretty sure I have seen the Tandems round as well.