Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930673 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21125 on: 03 July, 2018, 06:59:13 pm »
So, Jerk of a contractor on my team has been on this project for a while. <snip>
Contractor --> door

That's the deal -- do it the way we want or we won't renew
He is already on very very thin ice. Partly because of attitude.

Unfortunately, getting replacements with the right aptitude and knowledge is difficult. Although I'm pretty sure I could train up a bright grad in a couple of weeks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #21126 on: 03 July, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »
Although I'm pretty sure I could train up a bright grad in a couple of weeks.

Don't say that! I was hoping that, should I need to return to contracting, one of my USPs to offset my advancing years would be that I've been around long enough to know when to do what I'm told, and not get a cob on about it.

« Reply #21127 on: 04 July, 2018, 07:46:31 am »
Although I'm pretty sure I could train up a bright grad in a couple of weeks.

Don't say that! I was hoping that, should I need to return to contracting, one of my USPs to offset my advancing years would be that I've been around long enough to know when to do what I'm told, and not get a cob on about it.
There is still a demand for contract team leaders.
I swing this job on years of experience, not on skilled training etc. People who work around and with me . . . when I say 'bright grad', one of the interns sat next to me now; speaks 5 languages fluently, currently in final year of electronic engineering. Rows and fences competitively. Shows every symptom of being a normal articulate human being. 
The only problems I've had working with people like her are when they start to think they know better. Then I impress them with my hoary tales of booting computers that used magnetic card readers. My very grey hair helps impress them with how senior and impressive I am.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21128 on: 04 July, 2018, 08:46:06 am »
I think that one of my biggest problems I'll be looking at when I find myself available for the contract market (any day now) will be putting my years of experience in corporate Britain into industry standard pigeon holes. My current role is Customer Experience Lead Consultant in the Business and Public Sector CIO. Basically we're the glue that takes the product managers ideas and steer them through the overly complex design and development governance process. I don't even project manage the delivery because we have a 'delivery hub' that do that. How the hell am I going to sell that gobbeldy gook to a smaller organisation.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #21129 on: 04 July, 2018, 04:44:13 pm »
My advice is;  don't. Think bigger. Go for larger projects, the type that need project steerage (in addition to project management).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21130 on: 04 July, 2018, 05:23:03 pm »
My advice is;  don't. Think bigger. Go for larger projects, the type that need project steerage (in addition to project management).
What are those roles called in the big bad world? I've only ever worked for one employer since I left school 40 years ago and on the whole they created their own terms for most things.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #21131 on: 04 July, 2018, 05:31:07 pm »
What are those roles called in the big bad world? I've only ever worked for one employer since I left school 40 years ago and on the whole they created their own terms for most things.

They were called Project Directors in my last employer.  We had Project Managers who had budget responsibility, but PDs drove the direction.

« Reply #21132 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:28:44 am »
I'm a Project Leader. In truth, I am a glorified team leader who spends a lot of time liaising with other team leaders and project managers.
Companies make up their own titles these days.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21133 on: 07 July, 2018, 05:12:27 pm »
Ah bucking follocks  >:(
I hate football.  No, not true.  I have no interest in football - tedious game.  I dislike the attitude of footballists and detest the the attitude of most football fans.  Waste of skin & oxygen the lot of 'em.
And now bloody England are into the last four and I'm going to have to watch a game.  Why? Because for as long as I can remember whenever anyone asks if I watch football or what team I support the answer has been England, but only when they are in the last 4 of a major competition.  The next game will be the second I've had to put up with in my 48 years.

Now I've got to find a decent pub somewhere that will be quiet enough to get near the bar.  That I suspect is going to be a mission.  No effing way am I totally wasting 90 minutes of my life.

Shit shit double shit, fuck, balls and damn!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21134 on: 07 July, 2018, 05:14:03 pm »
Please let it not be 'coming home', cos Brexit.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #21135 on: 07 July, 2018, 05:56:37 pm »
Mixed feelings.  Not in the least bit interested in the football myself, but pleased for those who genuinely enjoy the game; it'll cheer them up no end.  However I am more than a little dismayed that we're going to have to endure more saturation coverage and quite a bit of rabid jingoism.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #21136 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:03:06 pm »
Yeah, i'm ambivalent as well.

But we watched the game upstairs in Darlo's best pub today and it was all quite pleasant. They'll be showing the semi final as well, so if you fancy a trip up north for the occasion, SoreTween, it'll be pretty relaxed, and they do good beer.

« Reply #21137 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:11:29 pm »
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-pannier-racks/topeak-super-tourist-dx-pannier-rack?_br_psugg_q=topeak+rack
Halfords: That is a disc-compatible rack in the picture, which is why I bought one from you. You sent one not disc-compatible. Now you're telling me it's my fault and I ordered the wrong thing, so don't expect me to sound happy on the phone. Get an 'expert' in your team who actually knows the difference to look at the image and rectify your mistake instead of blaming me, you twats.
So, Halfrauds have admitted their mistake, sort-of apologised and offered to send me the rack I believed I had ordered for the price I paid for the 'wrong' rack - as a goodwill gesture; yeah right! It shows the folly of dealing with CS people who don't have the faintest idea of what you are discussing with them. Even then they were saying it doesn't fit all disc-braked bikes - probably true, but I know it fits mine, as I have the same, non-DX version - and say the description should have told me which rack it was - it didn't.

So, a partial admission of guilt and a grudging acceptance they were wrong - but not completely. I'll take that as long as I get my rack.
And so the saga continues: I was asked to return the wrong rack & I did so; including, as requested a note detailing the case number and outline details. I dropped it off at the nearest store. They were somewhat taken aback by my appearance there, as it's not the usual returns they get. I explained that all was detailed in the note I had included as requested by the CS team. They didn't have the rack I wanted there, so it was left as a return. I even photographed the rack in it's original packaging at the store, just in case. And it's a good job I did.

I followed up the return with an email message the same day and waited for a reply. And waited. And waited. Finally, I got fed up of waiting and got in touch. Their response today was to say that the manager of the shop I returned it to had confirmed that I had been given a 'direct' replacement rack. Had I fuck! So, in essence, by saying that, they are effectively accusing me of fraud by continuing the case.

Time to escalate this to a manager. Watch this space.

BTW, by clicking on the link in the original message, you'll see they are still incorrectly displaying a disc-compatible rack. Twunts.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21138 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:49:13 pm »
Ah bucking follocks  >:(
I hate football.  No, not true.  I have no interest in football - tedious game.  I dislike the attitude of footballists and detest the the attitude of most football fans.  Waste of skin & oxygen the lot of 'em.
And now bloody England are into the last four and I'm going to have to watch a game.  Why? Because for as long as I can remember whenever anyone asks if I watch football or what team I support the answer has been England, but only when they are in the last 4 of a major competition.  The next game will be the second I've had to put up with in my 48 years.

Now I've got to find a decent pub somewhere that will be quiet enough to get near the bar.  That I suspect is going to be a mission.  No effing way am I totally wasting 90 minutes of my life.

Shit shit double shit, fuck, balls and damn!

Play the boycott card because Russia.

I am, as you said above, a
waste of skin & oxygen
though I do not support Ingerland.  I have been ignoring the whole affair this time around because I believe Russia has no business hosting such an event considering its activities elsewhere.

If you don't want to play the political card, MTFU - twice in 50 years won't kill you.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21139 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:52:23 pm »
I won't be watching it, semi final or final.

I'll go for a ride, there'll be no other bugger on teh road
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21140 on: 07 July, 2018, 08:14:44 pm »
I was invited by good friends to watch today's match.
I made a point of attending, bearing alcohol that was produced in Sverige  :demon:

« Reply #21141 on: 07 July, 2018, 08:56:16 pm »
We've escaped relatively football-free here, though my phone decided to give me a notification of the result (why? Surely it knows enough about me to realise that I'd not be remotely interested :-\). Walked past a pub festooned with Union flag bunting earlier, which is a rare sight round these parts. I assumed (though was somewhat surprised) that they'd done it for the football - until the Orange walk came past a few minutes later.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21142 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:01:36 pm »
I won't be watching it, semi final or final.

I'll go for a ride, there'll be no other bugger on teh road

Came to the conclusion that the whole town had gone to the pub when I hadn't seen a soul for an hour or so this aft. Said bollox to it and went home around 4.30...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #21143 on: 09 July, 2018, 07:59:38 pm »
Bloody online train booking.  Trying to sort out tickets for myself & a bike from Harwich back to Liverpool in September.  Try & book a through ticket & it comes out at £109.  Book Harwich to London then London to Liverpool and I can do it for approx £60...... but .... I can't reserve a seat or bike space for the first part of the trip :-(    I'll have to go to the booking office in Liverpool & see if they can sort me out.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21144 on: 09 July, 2018, 09:05:14 pm »
You might be better off that way.
I have had bike bookings fail to materialise.
If you go to a ticket office, you WON'T leave without the requisite orange cards  >:(

« Reply #21145 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:16:45 am »
Bloody noisy bastard gulls  :(   Shotgun time.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #21146 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:20:51 am »
Bloody online train booking.  Trying to sort out tickets for myself & a bike from Harwich back to Liverpool in September.  Try & book a through ticket & it comes out at £109.  Book Harwich to London then London to Liverpool and I can do it for approx £60...... but .... I can't reserve a seat or bike space for the first part of the trip :-(    I'll have to go to the booking office in Liverpool & see if they can sort me out.

I got the train back from Harwich last week, and only booked bike tickets from Manningtree to Liverpool Street; the bit from Harwich International to Manningtree doesn't AIUI do reservations. This did involve spending 15 minutes on the phone booking line, mind, and I had to sit around at Manningtree for about 90 minutes because I'd booked a later train into London in case of ferry delays (but it's quite a pleasant station platform to sit and read a book on, in fine weather at least).

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21147 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:26:41 am »

I got the train back from Harwich last week, and only booked bike tickets from Manningtree to Liverpool Street; the bit from Harwich International to Manningtree doesn't AIUI do reservations. This did involve spending 15 minutes on the phone booking line, mind, and I had to sit around at Manningtree for about 90 minutes because I'd booked a later train into London in case of ferry delays (but it's quite a pleasant station platform to sit and read a book on, in fine weather at least).
Manningtree Station also has probably one of the best station buffets on the main line. It's not only an excellent café it also masquerades as a very fine real ale pub and has been listed by CAMRA a number of times

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #21148 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:34:46 am »
The full English breakfast there is cracking value!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #21149 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
It's not rocket science, is it?
You're doing a job for a seven figure sum in a foreign country, so it would make sense to employ the services of someone who speaks the local  language.
No?
Or do you leave it until the 11th hour to find out that critical documentation, which can take weeks to organise, is not in place.