Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 82249 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #200 on: 05 June, 2018, 12:50:44 pm »
I’m visiting the enclaves in 2 weeks...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #201 on: 05 June, 2018, 01:51:10 pm »
I’m visiting the enclaves in 2 weeks...

I think we rode just past them on the way back from Tilburg when I was over there with The Fridays.  I was surprised by the geography as we rode from there, almost desert mixed with forrest!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #202 on: 29 June, 2018, 10:46:32 am »
This thread inspired me to ride a DIY 200 in the Netherlands last summer. I had such a good time that I went back a couple of weeks ago to ride a DIY 400.

I've written a ride report at https://ctccambridge.org.uk/blog/2018/06/18-jun-hook-utrecht-amsterdam-groningen

Nigel

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #203 on: 29 June, 2018, 12:01:30 pm »
This thread inspired me to ride a DIY 200 in the Netherlands last summer. I had such a good time that I went back a couple of weeks ago to ride a DIY 400.

I've written a ride report at https://ctccambridge.org.uk/blog/2018/06/18-jun-hook-utrecht-amsterdam-groningen

Nigel

We like being inspirational!

« Reply #204 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:30:38 pm »
Has anyone made a decision on a slight extension ?

I was thinking of returning on the Monday night ferry.

Have my legs ripped off by Psyclist on the Saturday, head to somewhere about 100k from Hoek on the Sunday and then a leisurely meander back there on the Monday.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #205 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:40:34 pm »
Has anyone made a decision on a slight extension ?

I was thinking of returning on the Monday night ferry.

Have my legs ripped off by Psyclist on the Saturday, head to somewhere about 100k from Hoek on the Sunday and then a leisurely meander back there on the Monday.

I've not heard consensus yet, but I am happy to extend (even a bit longer perhaps).  There's a lot to explore plus Belgium beer etc... I was half thinking of heading along Eurovelo 2 towards Russia but that is far too long a track for this journey!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #206 on: 02 July, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
I’m not able to extend, neither is the Straggler. I think all others are possibly able to extend.

I’ll check with bhoot to see how the Saturday route is shaping up, as that will then determine options for Sunday and Monday.

Having learnt from last year, this year’s route should involve fewer speed limiting towns, so average speed can be less. At least that’s what I’m hoping.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #207 on: 03 July, 2018, 04:08:05 pm »
OK - well I've booked up to and including 19th off so could come back either Mon, Tue or even Wed (with train assist home)....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #208 on: 04 July, 2018, 06:58:56 pm »
I’m keen to extend for a day or so.  I’m booked with Huggy, so will see what his availability is....
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #209 on: 05 July, 2018, 10:18:18 am »
Huggy is looking forward to your cruise together.

He is currently thinking of a Monday night return which is what I have booked.

Jiber is looking at extending to next April so that he can bag some squares in Ukraine.

« Reply #210 on: 10 July, 2018, 07:36:56 am »
Plans are coming together, with bhoot doing a sterling job coming up with a couple of outline options for the Saturday (15th Sept). Generally heading south on a picturesque route and ending up in Breda. From there, those returning on the Sunday night have an easy run in of circa 100km, or can extend a little as desired. Those staying an extra day can decide in which direction to head next ... possibly we can combine the two for a short while on the Sunday morning, depending on preferences.

The proposed hotel on the Saturday night is the Camponile Breda. DO NOT BOOK NOW, unless you can get a cancellable booking. bhoot is checking the bike parking arrangements first. Price is €62, although looking around I've seen £40 on booking.com, slightly less elsewhere. Once we have bike parking confirmed I'll suggest we then book individually or sharing, as people wish. If in the meantime you're not keen on the hotel or can suggest an alternative that is similar in price in Breda, please do shout.

Details are:

HOTEL CAMPANILE BREDA
MINERVUM 7090 4817 ZK BREDA Netherlands

« Reply #211 on: 23 July, 2018, 03:11:31 pm »
Any further plans for this ?

I would like to start thinking about how long I will be away and booking hotels.

At the moment, I quite like Jiber's idea of cycling to Germany and then train assist back to Hoek.  Not sure how that fits in with Breda on the Saturday though.

« Reply #212 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »
HOTEL CAMPANILE BREDA as per my previous post is now confirmed. They have storage facilities for the bikes, although they haven't specified exactly what nature that is ... last year the facilities were locked, available to anybody who used the hotel. Alternatively one might not ask questions and just wheel the bike into the bedroom. Might work.

So feel free to book, flexible rate or not as you prefer.

Route details are not yet available online, but bhoot has been working on the 2 options. Hopefully we'll have something to peruse soon.

I'm not an expert on route mapping in the Netherlands, so will defer to others in respect to routes from Breda. I'll be looking for the picturesque way back to Hoek. Jason, can you point me in the right direction for something that might be of interest, which the Straggler and I, and anybody else who is returning on the Sunday night, could use, or modify as appropriate?

I'm Mille Cymru-ing after tomorrow, but aim to be out next Wednesday if the venue is somewhere central. Can plan then, if everything isn't sorted in the meantime.

« Reply #213 on: 23 July, 2018, 10:21:07 pm »
Room shares or singles ? 

Jiber, plan for a couple or three more days ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #214 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:21:36 pm »
I'll have to have a think... I recall we were considering the Wednesday night ferry at one point. I'm probably single occupancy for hotels.  We can consider planning over a beer on Wednesday ;)
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #215 on: 30 July, 2018, 12:48:53 pm »
OK - my *rough* plan is:
Saturday - the Dutch 200KM DIY Hoek to Breda then....

Sunday 103km, Breda to s-Hertogenbosh (campanile hotel)
Monday 80km, s-Hertogenbosh to Amersfoort (campanile hotel)
Tue 66km, Amersfoort to Zaandam (through Amsterdam  :o  ibis budget Amsterdam Zaandam)
Wed 89km Zaandam to Hoek via the coast (Wednesday Night Ferry)
Thursday, train home from Harwich to be back at work for before 9AM

The only bit of Belgium is on Sunday with the enclaves and the *best* McD's you will ever visit!

Optional would be about 130km from Amerfoort to Hoek on Tuesday for the Tuesday night ferry - could locate somewhere else other than Amerfoort to bring the distance down but Hotel choices may be tricky...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #216 on: 30 July, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »
Nice work Bungle  :thumbsup:

I need to decide on a Tues or Wed departure.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #217 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:56:11 pm »
The only bit of Belgium is on Sunday with the enclaves and the *best* McD's you will ever visit!
I know that McDonald's, and it really is worth a visit.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #218 on: 30 July, 2018, 04:19:18 pm »
I know that McDonald's, and it really is worth a visit.

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #219 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:14:51 pm »
Working on the 200km right now, and current plans include Belgium (just)...

« Reply #220 on: 31 July, 2018, 05:13:53 am »
Working on the 200km right now, and current plans include Belgium (just)...

Sounds good  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #221 on: 31 July, 2018, 09:05:14 am »
I haven't really been paying attention up to now.  Are some of you getting the overnight boat on Friday 14th?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #222 on: 31 July, 2018, 11:13:09 am »
OK - my *rough* plan is:
Saturday - the Dutch 200KM DIY Hoek to Breda then....

Sunday 103km, Breda to s-Hertogenbosh (campanile hotel)
Monday 80km, s-Hertogenbosh to Amersfoort (campanile hotel)
Tue 66km, Amersfoort to Zaandam (through Amsterdam  :o Hotel to be located...)
Wed 89km Zaandam to Hoek via the coast (Wednesday Night Ferry)
Thursday, train home from Harwich to be back at work for before 9AM

Optional would be about 130km from Amerfoort to Hoek on Tuesday for the Tuesday night ferry - could locate somewhere else other than Amerfoort to bring the distance down but Hotel choices may be tricky...

Right - I've booked my rooms at the Campanile for teh above locations (Breda, Hertogenbosh and Amersfoort)

As happened when I stayed in Zaandam in Sept 2015, hotels are being booked up quickly (its overflow for Amsterdam).  I think last time I ended up in Wormer(veer) which was lovely (a whole different type of windmill) but even they are booking up quickly...

There's 7 rooms left at the Ibis Budget in Zaandam about 3km out of the centre, so a fair trek (perhaps eat first then hotel?)
Not many left in Wormer
Haarlem is very expensive and quite booked up also...

Or we could split the Amerfoort to Hoek on Tuesday route somewhere different (though we would miss out on Amsterdam madness cycling through it and the windmills NW of there.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #223 on: 31 July, 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
I haven't really been paying attention up to now.  Are some of you getting the overnight boat on Friday 14th?

Indeed that is the plan.

I can give you a synopsis tomorrow.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #224 on: 31 July, 2018, 12:51:19 pm »
I can give you a synopsis tomorrow.

Right ho.  I will pack lube and rubber gloves, you will be gentle won't you?  :-X