Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 83286 times)

Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #225 on: 31 July, 2018, 01:01:09 pm »
I can give you a synopsis tomorrow.

Right ho.  I will pack lube and rubber gloves, you will be gentle won't you?  :-X

That sounds like a Carlos task. I'll just give you a synopsis  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #226 on: 02 August, 2018, 02:42:27 pm »
Just a quick reminder to check your EHIC cards are still valid or that you can actually find them  :facepalm:

I've just ordered a replacement, 7 to 10 business days they say for delivery - so if you can't find yours might be a good idea to get a replacement ordered...

I fully expect to find mine tomorrow in the place I actually last left it and still haven't looked in yet - this of course will be different from where I usually leave it  :facepalm:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #227 on: 02 August, 2018, 02:56:07 pm »
OK - my *rough* plan is:
Saturday - the Dutch 200KM DIY Hoek to Breda then....

Sunday 103km, Breda to s-Hertogenbosh (campanile hotel)
Monday 80km, s-Hertogenbosh to Amersfoort (campanile hotel)
Tue 66km, Amersfoort to Zaandam (through Amsterdam  :o  ibis budget Amsterdam Zaandam)
Wed 89km Zaandam to Hoek via the coast (Wednesday Night Ferry)
Thursday, train home from Harwich to be back at work for before 9AM

The only bit of Belgium is on Sunday with the enclaves and the *best* McD's you will ever visit!

Optional would be about 130km from Amerfoort to Hoek on Tuesday for the Tuesday night ferry - could locate somewhere else other than Amerfoort to bring the distance down but Hotel choices may be tricky...

So appears ibis budget Amsterdam Zaandam is the hotel of choice here.... I've put in a flex booking with breakfast.  Booking.com is still showing 7 rooms left (which is what it said on Monday this week, and I think Ted has said he has already booked one since then!)

If you have an Accor hotels logon then the 'members rate' for flex with breakfast is £73 (booking.com is showing the same deal as £80)

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-7815-ibis-budget-amsterdam-zaandam/index.shtml

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #228 on: 02 August, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »
I've just booked the Campanile in Breda for Saturday 15th September.  I'm now off to book some decent weather and the ferry.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #229 on: 02 August, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »
We're going to go the Friday night to come back on the Wed night ferry for the slow coast home on Thurs. So taking the week off although my boss doesn't know this yet...

Just booked Breda and Ibis Amsterdam Zaandam.
Now to do the others and the ferry.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #230 on: 02 August, 2018, 03:40:33 pm »
I've just booked the Campanile in Breda for Saturday 15th September.  I'm now off to book some decent weather and the ferry.

Ferry booked.  I'm coming back on Sunday night.

« Reply #231 on: 02 August, 2018, 03:46:42 pm »
I make that 13 of us  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Jem

« Reply #232 on: 02 August, 2018, 04:03:05 pm »
Newbie question but does the ferry booking for night crossing include a cabin? I'm getting a price of £184 for two plus two bikes but am not sure if this means seats or place to sleep.

« Reply #233 on: 02 August, 2018, 04:26:10 pm »
Newbie question but does the ferry booking for night crossing include a cabin? I'm getting a price of £184 for two plus two bikes but am not sure if this means seats or place to sleep.

A cabin is mandatory for the night crossing, and that price looks about right. As you go through the booking you’ll be able to select cabin preference, breakfast etc.

Jem

« Reply #234 on: 02 August, 2018, 04:51:05 pm »

A cabin is mandatory for the night crossing, and that price looks about right. As you go through the booking you’ll be able to select cabin preference, breakfast etc.

Thanks Andrew. Got it.

Jem

« Reply #235 on: 02 August, 2018, 05:38:26 pm »
Ferry booked  ;D

« Reply #236 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:30:07 pm »
Worth booking breakfast as it is £5 more expensive each on the day :thumbsup:

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #237 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:37:40 pm »
So are we booking 3 nights at the Breda Campanile hotel?

OK - my *rough* plan is:

Tue 66km, Amersfoort to Zaandam (through Amsterdam  :o  ibis budget Amsterdam Zaandam)

The only bit of Belgium is on Sunday with the enclaves and the *best* McD's you will ever visit!

Optional would be about 130km from Amerfoort to Hoek on Tuesday for the Tuesday night ferry - could locate somewhere else other than Amerfoort to bring the distance down but Hotel choices may be tricky...
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Jem

« Reply #238 on: 02 August, 2018, 07:04:04 pm »
Worth booking breakfast as it is £5 more expensive each on the day :thumbsup:

Yes. Breakfast booked with tickets.  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #239 on: 02 August, 2018, 07:19:59 pm »
So are we booking 3 nights at the Breda Campanile hotel?

OK - my *rough* plan is:

At the campanile hotel in those 3 locations
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #240 on: 05 August, 2018, 05:11:39 pm »
OK - my *rough* plan is:

So after speaking to a few this week, I realised I hadn't shared much in the way of route details.  Still a little in flux so rather than chuck a GPX at you, here's an overview map. 

Two versions of the final day (Wednesday), one with and one without windmills.  These are very different to the kinderdijk ones as these are "industrial" ones rather than water pumps, by industrial I don't mean they are ugly, just they were used for driving tools rather than pumping water.  The windmills add about 11km on to the route for the final dutch day. 

I must add some credit here to mmmmartin and Gordon Parker for the hard work they have done in the past for The Fridays Tour, Wednesday is pretty much their route and some of the previous days steal bits from some of their other routes around Netherlands

Monday and Tuesday are 2 short days at the moment but I haven't looked at refreshment stops yet, so that might add to the distance if there is something interesting to route to... happy to hear any suggestions from seasoned dutch travellers for interesting or quirky options for lunch/coffee/beer stops....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #241 on: 05 August, 2018, 06:41:15 pm »
The Straggler said he could probably do an extra couple of days if the transport could be sorted out.

I think he said he was bunking up with Psyclist so that might make life a bit complicated.

Jiber, you haven't told us what the weather will be like  :P

« Reply #242 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
The Straggler said he could probably do an extra couple of days if the transport could be sorted out.

I think he said he was bunking up with Psyclist so that might make life a bit complicated.

I could look into cancelling the ferry booking and letting the Straggler book independently. Shall I proceed and do that?

« Reply #243 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:59:33 pm »
Better check with the Welsh Wizard direct.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #244 on: 05 August, 2018, 08:08:23 pm »

I could look into cancelling the ferry booking and letting the Straggler book independently. Shall I proceed and do that?

No, don't cancel my ferry Booking. It was Ted trying to deviously coax me in after I have just finished my tiring R+R ride, on a hot day which had an effect in impairing my judgement.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oscar's dad

« Reply #245 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:12:03 am »

As usual I'm confused.  Which bit is the 200k to Breda?  i.e. the Saturday ride?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #246 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:49:32 am »
That would be the bit that isn't there Steve but it goes from Hoek to Breda across what look like islands on the bottom left of the map. 

The team are still working on it in the background, sounds like there might be 2 versions (depending on wind direction / weather potentially) so still being finalised
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #247 on: 06 August, 2018, 10:15:59 am »
Okay, that makes sense now.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #248 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:25:35 pm »
How's it going with routes for Saturday?  I ask as I'm not sure I can summon up the enthusiasm for the full 200k experience so might devise a "turn left" option as I'm sure Breda has some lovely bars which might require a detailed examination.  That said, on the day I might get a sudden rush of blood to the head and decide to do 200k after all.  I suppose what I'm saying is I'd like some options.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #249 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:19:06 pm »
How's it going with routes for Saturday?  I ask as I'm not sure I can summon up the enthusiasm for the full 200k experience so might devise a "turn left" option as I'm sure Breda has some lovely bars which might require a detailed examination.  That said, on the day I might get a sudden rush of blood to the head and decide to do 200k after all.  I suppose what I'm saying is I'd like some options.

I'm somewhat worried about my ability to complete 200km at the moment... I will be attempting it, but am going to be bearing "turn left" in mind.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike