Author Topic: Protective facemasks  (Read 1608 times)

Protective facemasks
« on: 26 March, 2019, 10:24:42 pm »
I'm currently spending a lot of time in my parents loft, which is full of dust , loose fibreglass insulation & lots of rat shit.  I bought a packet of disposable facemasks https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Dust-Mask/34-902
but as soon as I put them on my glasses mist up & I can't see what I'm doing.  Can someone recommend something better ?  Would a surgical type be OK ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Protective facemasks
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2019, 10:50:15 pm »
Get a quality rated product from screwfix, your lungs are precious.

They're not that expensive https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/dust-masks-respirators/cat850348
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2019, 05:58:51 am »
I don't think you can get this stuff on the cheap.
I've been using the 3M half-face masks for years.
They work.
Less so if you have a beard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2019, 12:58:28 pm »
A surgical mask's going to be ineffective.  They're designed to contain aerosolised droplets from the wearer (and provide a useful degree of splatter protection), not filter the air that you breathe.

In my limited experience of dust masks, the ones with a bypass valve for releasing exhaled air are significantly better at not steaming up glasses.  I suspect the answer is the proper ones that fit snugly as Jurek suggests.

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2019, 01:02:37 pm »
3M jobbie now on order.

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2019, 06:32:03 pm »
I suggest taking the time to find out how to put it on and adjust properly, if masks are not worn properly they do nowt. A PPE supplier website will probably have instructions, and usually there's a leaflet in the mask pack which says how to adjust it. (Mind you I buy from commercial PPE suppliers so not sure if you get the same in domestic supply).

GC

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2019, 12:20:38 pm »
I have the JSP Force 8 and the Trend Stealth Air, both are good.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2019, 12:39:09 pm »
3M jobbie now on order.

I'm not sure I'd want any kind of jobbie for a facemask... :o

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:41:01 pm »
I’ve been using a £20 3M one for a few days now. A bit sweaty but a lot better than the cheap ones.
Quite scary to see the white filter turn grey in such a short time.

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:46:28 pm »
Once it goes grey or black turn it inside out and use the clean side

disclaimer under no circumstances do the above stupid suggestion

« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2019, 12:05:32 pm »
Dust masks are probably one bit of ppe that's considered easy to use but often misused.

At work we use replaceable filter masks and every new employee gets a face fit session with the company that supplies them. A trained guy comes and spends a bit of time to get the best mask for the person. There's size but also shape to consider. There's also how to fit it properly.

I know we're industrial and op is domestic / personal use but IMHO care with masks is still important.