Author Topic: Anyone know how to fix a dodgy garmin file?  (Read 8414 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Anyone know how to fix a dodgy garmin file?
« on: 14 April, 2013, 06:49:14 pm »
I did the 2 battles audax yesterday and I'm keen to include the 214 km ride in my stats on garminconnect, strava etc.

The file exists in the history on my garmin edge 800 and shows as a 133.94 mile (for such are my settings) ride yet when I click on it - it shows all zeros in the breakdown.
When I try and upload to mapmyride, garminconnect or strava it isn't recognised at all.
I've checked in the history folder when it's connected to my computer and there is a .fit file.

Is there anything I can do to fix it, maybe? :(

(Yes I know I can just put in minimal data manually but this is kind of spectacularly my best ride ever at the moment so it would be nice to upload it properly for posterity).

Any help would be most appreciated.  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Anyone know how to fix a dodgy garmin file?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:55:50 pm »
You could try this Garmin online fit repair tool: http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/

Or Fit File Repair Tool, though its rather expensive and requires MS Access: http://fitfilerepairtool.info/

caerau

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:09:30 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

caerau

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
Hmm I get this...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

When I try and covert to a .csv file. :-/

Also, it's rather PC specific.  Some of us don't have PC's in the house, I'm more apply in my kit. :-(

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:03:45 pm »
I'm an eTrex user, but...

The gpx files that contain the ride data are just xml, and can be edited with notepad or your preferred text editor (vi in my case).
I've come across a number of log files that contain invalid xml, with the <route> and </route> tags (for example) not matching up properly. If you rename the file to *.xml and double-click it, it would normally open in IE or wherever, with an error message telling you where the error is.
I believe that the .crs course files are also xml.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2013, 09:04:26 pm »
Newer Edge and Forerunner models use FIT format, not GPX or TCX. FIT is a binary format, so you won't see anything useful if you open it in a text editor.

It looks like that online repair tool is currently broken, I don't know if it will be working any time soon.

I don't know if there's any way of running MS Access on Mac OS? Or anything else which can open MDB files?

Or you could post on the Garmin Forums, there's a few people there who can fix FIT files on request. It seems to be a fairly common problem with some of the Edge models. https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?27227-FIT-file-repair/page14

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »
This might sound crazy, but try another USB lead, try holding the lead in the device etc etc. I have had similar problems with my Oregon, the device and files can be seen but not transferred. Try the Garmin USB lead if you can lay your hands on it, seems to be my most reliable one.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »
Caerau,

Send me a copy of the corrupted FIT file on the e-mail address I will PM you.

I'll try running it through some utilities I have here.
Nae promises, mind.

caerau

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »
Thanks Feanor, file sent and no worries if it's not possible, any help, succesful or not, is appreciated (same to Fuaran :-)).   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's not a cable issue - it's dodgy on the device itself.  Like I said the front page on the file says the total distance but once you click to have a look at details it's all zeros.  That's before it's attached to anything.

It's the sod's law filter isn't it.  None of of my many many 5 mile commutes have ever had an issue.  But as soon as I actually bloody achieve something like get to be first back in a 200k audax it bloody well screws up doesn't it *snarl*
Ha well - my legs certainly know it happened...

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:26:29 pm »
My Edge 705 (haven't updated the firmware in over 2 years) often corrupts data files from long rides. Luckily I know how to look through the resulting XML files and find the problem and fix it; it's never been corrupted in a way that I haven't been able to fix it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »
I've just sent you the repaired .fit file, which uploaded to Garmin Connect just fine:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/298516246
(Now removed from my Garmin account so I'm not taking credit for your ride!)

If the mail gets rejected by hotmail, let me know and I'll put the file on a web-server for you to grab.

caerau

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:01:53 pm »
As you will have seen I have received it and it works fine.

Many humble thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2013, 11:41:44 am »
Hey Folks.

I've got a corrupted file from my edge 800 that a would really love to extract a bit more info out of. Ride was for 2hrs and 51km (shows on my device history, but detail screens are all blank). Shows only around 20mins of ride.
/Users/Andy/Downloads/2013-12-29-06-53-22-fixed.fit
Can't seem to attach file now either. Help please?!?