Author Topic: can anyone identify my tip purchase old mtb?  (Read 1854 times)

can anyone identify my tip purchase old mtb?
« on: 28 March, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »
At the local tip yesterday I was lucky enough to spy a pair of 6 speed deore thumbies and brake levers that I thought would be ideal for the Muddy Fox Sorcerer I was recently given by a friend, as the 200GS (woo) thumbies on the Muddy Fox are knackered.

So a tenner later I'm the 'proud owner' of this.

underneath the blue hammerite it's very yellow and perhaps green and white.

Frame details:

The rear canti hanger is very square in profile.

There's a lug on the seat cluster and the rest is tig'd with unicrown forks, with surprisingly ok pressed eyes for rack and guards, but really nasty cable guides on the top tube.

Serial no is: M9AF12760

Spec:

Joy tech 188 solid (not q/r) hubs laced to Araya rims
GS 200 mechs 6 speed
biopace front rings  ;D
cup and cone b/b

the Deore lx pedals, kalloy seat post & Vetta saddle and deore thumbies and MT63 brake levers look like upgrades

I assumed it was a 'gas tube' frame... can anyone help with who might have made it? especailly as my 12 y/o step daughter is keen to identify it,  and I'm keen to encouage the bikie gene in her... 

Cheers,
Nick
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: can anyone identify my tip purchase old mtb?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »
It is possibly a Marin, IIRC an ex-colleague of mine had one that looked similar (even down to the eye blistering yellow/green/white paint job, if you saw it in it's full glory you would know why this one has been hammerited!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »
If it's a Marin, it's pre-c.1989/90 (top-tube is level on this bike; rear brake cable hanger is different ...).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
This suggests it *may* be a pre-late1980 Trek, but I can't be sure....

Vintage Trek Bicycle Frame Serial Numbers, bike
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State