Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864119 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #1775 on: 11 May, 2017, 08:57:38 pm »
Heal well Kim, sounds a bit sore!

Nil points to the Audi driver who should have noted what a state you were in and taken it on the chin.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1776 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:27:08 pm »
Heal well Kim, sounds a bit sore!

Less than anticipated.  Unless I move.  Or change temperature.

I've now forced myself to eat some food (having decided there was nothing hospital-worthy), which might make me feel a bit less wobbly, maybe.  Dunno.  Might have another cry.  Or throw up.

Nil points to the Audi driver who should have noted what a state you were in and taken it on the chin.

No, he was fine.  The fairy got me while I was descending at speed, and it ended with a scrape to his car.  Only right that my insurance should pay for it.  He did all the right things in the immediate aftermath, and was generally a fine example of the species.

Kudos also to random roadie #1 who was behind me when it happened.  And to random roadie #2 who stopped for a "I'm worried you're going to go into shock" chat about bikes while I waited for nikki to arrive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1777 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:44:15 pm »
If it is any consolation, it is pretty rare to ride a front rapid deflation to a stop from a high speed.

The more I think about it the more bemused I am by the general lack of injury/damage.  Other than a substantial chunk of front rim that got worn away, and a less substantial amount of seat, shorts and skin, I'm not really sure where all the energy went.  There were scrape marks in the road...

The little puddle is where my water bottle leaked at the end.

Here's the graph for the lols:

https://www.strava.com/activities/981894941

It might take a little while for you to properly enjoy a fast downhill again. Don't beat yourself up about that either.

Indeed.  If nothing else, I can see myself spending a lot of money on just-in-case tyre replacements in future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1778 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:47:50 pm »
Bollocks. That sounds like Type 2 fun. Or even type 3.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1779 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:53:57 pm »
Bollocks. That sounds like Type 2 fun. Or even type 3.

Definitely hit type 3 fun for about 2.5 seconds.

Obgore: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19419.msg2166621#msg2166621

« Reply #1780 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:12:18 pm »
Ouch - heal well! Impressively low HR around the incident, mind.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1781 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »
Ouch - heal well! Impressively low HR around the incident, mind.

I wouldn't say 182 was impressively low.  Indeed, it's a rare day I see 190.

« Reply #1782 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:40:45 pm »
Ah - I misread the legend as 152 max. GWS!

« Reply #1783 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:51:39 pm »
Another ouch.  Sending healing thoughts & matey hugs.    The Bloody Baron is probably getting revenge for your innapropriate use of him at that windmill.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1784 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:54:14 pm »
Wow!  I actually came across the graphic injuries thread first, and now feel guilty for being somewhat flippant.
I'm relieved you're apparently relatively undeconstructed.
I hope you've washed out the gravel rash.  I know it hurts, but it's important.

Bad luck matey.  Rest well.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1785 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:01:42 pm »
Yes.  Once I was in a much-needed warm shower it reached peak pain, and giving it a good scrub didn't really make things worse.  There's a flap of skin that might benefit from further attention, but I cleaned underneath and will re-assess tomorrow.

Arse seems a lot less deeply abraded, albeit over a large area.  It will bruise spectacularly.

« Reply #1786 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:28:46 pm »
Eeps  :o GWS Kim!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1787 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:39:03 pm »
If it is any consolation, it is pretty rare to ride a front rapid deflation to a stop from a high speed.

I deflated both tyres at 26mph when I struck a brick BANG BANG! They were my first visits in 15 months. Thankfully came to a controlled upright stop. Only had one spare inner tube and not puncture kit cos I was on an 8 mile commute and had rather infrequent visitations...

Mend well and fast Kim!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1788 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:47:57 pm »
Any top tips for rapid healing of babboon style road rash?  It's not particularly deep, but it's quite a large area.

Sweat and bodily functions mean it's not exactly an area that's conducive to the hydrocolloid dressing and come back next week approach.  Having soaked through some clean pants, my pajama bottoms and half a towel, I think it's going to get left open overnight as the least-worst option (fresh bedsheets will doubtless be needed).

I'll seek out a sufficiently large hydrocolloid dressing for the arm in the morning when the chemist is open, that's a bit more practical than sanitary towels, and means I'll be able to wear jumpers without sticking to them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1789 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:13:15 am »
Cripes, Kim, that sounds a bit rough. GWS.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1790 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:52:44 am »
Tegaderm. Clean up, let it dry, apply Tegaderm, leave for a week or so.

If you were any nearer you could have some of mine.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1791 on: 12 May, 2017, 07:16:11 am »
Eeek! The vision and (imaginary - for me anyhow) memory of that will doubtless serve to further enhance my carp descending skilz, GWS!

« Reply #1792 on: 12 May, 2017, 07:55:16 am »
That looks painful, and tegaderm sounds like a good idea.

You might have some gnarly scars
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1793 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:06:01 am »
Just read through the above, wincing all the way. Haven't seen the Gore Gallery yet, I've just had breakfast. GWS.

Last time I braked to a halt with my arse it was monolateral and manageable, looks like you're going to be eating like an ancient Roman for a week or two. Stay off the dormice, though, they're rubbish.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Samuel D

« Reply #1794 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:14:59 am »
So there was no slash in the old tube that would have caused a rapid deflation? You don’t say if you patched or replaced the tube.

Could your machine have shimmied while coasting at speed on that smooth road (ideal conditions), perhaps in part because a normal puncture reduced the tyre pressure? Lower pressures reduce the onset speed and increase the amplitude of any shimmy.

I think you have disc brakes that rule out tyre blow-off from braking heat, right?

Heal up!

« Reply #1795 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:53:39 am »
Bleedin heck Kim. Looks nasty but could of been so much worse.

Only ever had a front wheel blowout once, coming down the Pass of Llanberis, it's not an experience I ever want to repeat. The stuff of nightmares.

GWS

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1796 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:07:34 am »
69.1 km/h. I don't think I've ever even been that fast on a bike. You seem to have come out of it relatively well, all things considered. That road scrape tells a scary story. Well hey, at least you've got the upwrong to ride when you recover...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1797 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:20:30 am »
That the fairy has it in for me.
Front wheel blowout at about 40mph. More to come when I've been rescued.

Having seen the photo, I can show you what it will look like in 6 months time.  Not pretty, but I'm way past worrying about that!  Mine was much the same but a bit more chewed up and the hole at the elbow was deeper, and I only came off at 20mph but chose a gravelly rural chip and seal surfaced lane when the front blew on my Performer SAKI.  I picked up the otherwise undamaged bike when a car arrived, but it was clear that no way was I going to be able to change the tube and finish the ride (another 50k).

I can still feel the impact as I hit the deck, and the few milliseconds between realising that something wasn't right, and landing on the deck is imprinted on my mind forever.  I now wear MTB elbow pads, but it was about 3 months before the scabs would let me put them on.  I've not been over 33mph since......

I also had to rely on the generosity of others to get me home (and to A&E to check the elbow joint out - you really don't want a joint infection - DAMHIKT).  My casquette kept the blood off the kind lady's car seats.  The wife was away at the time, but I got the full on sympathy failure when she came home.

Like you, I'm glad I was on a recumbent, at 62 after exiting a DF a broken collar bone could have been much worse.

Take it easy, it really shook me up and I'm still a bit wary of that front wheel.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1798 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:38:52 am »
That the bods who run West Wings (AKA Pro Scale) will be retiring in July and that if they can't find a buyer for the business that'll be one less supplier of aero-modelling stuff. :(

That's a shame. My aero modelling is normally of a rather larger scale (particularly twins) but I used to have to live abroad for weeks at a time on engineering projects so built some of these to keep me sane at weekends.   The Spitfire I left for the young son of a Turkish colleague.  Bet it didn't last long!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1799 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:19:30 pm »
Tegaderm. Clean up, let it dry, apply Tegaderm, leave for a week or so.

That's the plan for the arm.  I'm not too worried about it TBH, I've had similar several times on the other side (mostly from off-roading).

Leaving anything in place for a week isn't conducive to having a poo, thobut, and the arse wound is I think too weepy for hydrocolloid (it certainly won't dry if left to its own devices) so some alternative strategy will be required.