Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864152 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #1950 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:53:54 am »
There are twice as many legal pot shops in the Denver Metropolitan Area than there are branches of Starmucks.

And I bet the pot shops serve better coffee.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1951 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:02:25 am »
There are twice as many legal pot shops in the Denver Metropolitan Area than there are branches of Starmucks.

And I bet the pot shops serve better coffee.

From experience, I can say that is probably true. My favourite piece of shop positioning has to be the Voodoo Donuts shop 2 doors down from a pot shop! We partook of the former, but not the latter.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1952 on: 27 September, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »
I think the old T34 was a bit more agricultural, apparently far more robust than the highly sophisticated, but prone to breaking down German offerings
I'm not sure about that. It may have been no more reliable (well, except for Tigers), but easier to fix with a sledgehammer.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1953 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »
The Panthers were mechanical nightmares as well (at least the early models); more importantly Soviet armour was designed to work in sub-zero temperatures, so would actually start in the morning.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1954 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:19:10 pm »
From what I remember of a visit to the Imperial War Museum, the T34 was advanced for its time, including being one of the first tanks with a diesel engine. But Soviet stuff generally was designed to be reliable and easy to fix in the field, rather than accurate/fast/etc, so it would be unsurprising if the Red Army just banged them with a hammer every morning and kept going.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1955 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:13:43 pm »
I've now leaned how to mig weld lap and t joints. Bit of TIG next week  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1956 on: 28 September, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »
From what I remember of a visit to the Imperial War Museum, the T34 was advanced for its time, including being one of the first tanks with a diesel engine. But Soviet stuff generally was designed to be reliable and easy to fix in the field, rather than accurate/fast/etc, so it would be unsurprising if the Red Army just banged them with a hammer every morning and kept going.

IIRC diesel fuel was/is prone to jellifying when hugely cold.   We had lorries stuck on the mainland in winter cos they said the fuel had frozen.  Not so much of a problem in the warmer UK.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1957 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »
I've learnt a non-cycling thing from Cycle magazine. Wilko Johnson is a character occasionally mentioned here, usually I think by ESL. I'd kind of assumed he was some semi-legendary figure of British time trialling, but I learn he was a guitarist with Ian Dury & the Blockheads and later a band called Dr Feelgood. Maybe I'll investigate Dr Feelgood on youtube and find out about them too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1958 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
I have now learned that Dr Feelgood should probably be listened to in the pub and only in the pub.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1959 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:13:53 pm »
I've learnt a non-cycling thing from Cycle magazine. Wilko Johnson is a character occasionally mentioned here, usually I think by ESL. I'd kind of assumed he was some semi-legendary figure of British time trialling, but I learn he was a guitarist with Ian Dury & the Blockheads and later a band called Dr Feelgood. Maybe I'll investigate Dr Feelgood on youtube and find out about them too.

I've got a album of his with Roger Daltrey. A comeback after major illness
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1960 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:32:05 pm »

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  Wilko was in Dr Feelgood before becoming a Blockhead.

I've got a album of his with Roger Daltrey. A comeback after major illness

Got that one too.  Whatever Wilko's merits as a guitarist, Mr Daltrey is a rather better singer ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1961 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:55:04 pm »
So he went on to better things? Even without taking up time trialling. Cycle magazine:
Ian Dury was Essex but not Canvey. One of the ex-Blockheads, however, defined 'the Canvey sound'. Wilko Johnson was the driving guitar force behind '70s band Dr Feelgood.
"Ex-Blockhead" implied to me ex at the point he took up driving Feelgood. But, yeah, sources and all that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1962 on: 03 October, 2017, 07:40:09 pm »
"Deore" as in "Deore XT" is a loan word from English into Japanese and is simply "deer".  The original mechs had an antler logo.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1963 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:04:55 am »
It WAS my bloody socks! :D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1964 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:45:23 am »
cats get quantum mechanics. It's easy for them. Just that no one usually asks them.

Quantum scientists are usually too busy putting cats in boxes to ask their opinion on anything.

I have now learned that Dr Feelgood should probably be listened to in the pub and only in the pub.

They are the archetypal pub rock band, this is true. Britain's answer to Creedence Clearwater Revival. You should watch Oil City Confidential.

Anyway, changing the subject...

What I have learned today is that Denis Norden is still alive. I was sure he died years ago. He's 95, you know.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1965 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:50:54 am »
What I learned yesterday was that birch trees are not hermaphrodite but monoecious. They have male and female flowers on one tree, hermaphrodite in tree terms means male and female parts in the same flower.

« Reply #1966 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:59:15 am »
What I have learned today is that Denis Norden is still alive. I was sure he died years ago. He's 95, you know.
Quite a few 'surprisingly alive' people on the Deathlist.

« Reply #1967 on: 04 October, 2017, 10:36:40 am »
Quite a few 'surprisingly alive' people on the Deathlist.

Wow, you are right. Can I vote for Billy Graham and Robert Mugabe? (and I did like Phil the Greek's job description)

citoyen

« Reply #1968 on: 04 October, 2017, 10:39:43 am »
Fats Domino is the one who stands out on that list for me. Also that he is younger than Honor Blackman.  :o

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1969 on: 04 October, 2017, 08:36:46 pm »
Ian Brady ~ All round Mr. Nice guy <SNORFLE>  :demon:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1970 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:23:05 am »
There are some good ones:
Clive Dunn ~ Deathlist favourite
Ronald Reagan ~ (former) Idiot
Barbara Cartland ~ Literary Genius
Mary Whitehouse ~ Whinger
Boris Yeltsin ~ Tsar
Michael Foot ~ Tramp
Yassir Arafat ~ Terrorist
Ronnie Biggs ~ Ambassador
Margaret Thatcher ~ Milk Snatcher
Denis Healey ~ Eyebrowed Politician
&c

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1971 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:37:40 am »
What I learned yesterday was that birch trees are not hermaphrodite but monoecious. They have male and female flowers on one tree, hermaphrodite in tree terms means male and female parts in the same flower.
I think maize ("corn"* to leftpondians) is similar.

*whereas "corn" is a flexible word in British English used to describe any cereal crop, usually wheat.  A cornfield is generally full of wheat or barley, and cornflowers grow in wheatfields.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1972 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:46:09 am »
I think cornflowers are similar to poppies in the places they like to grow, ie recently disturbed land.

citoyen

« Reply #1973 on: 05 October, 2017, 10:30:57 am »
What I have learned today:
"corn" is a flexible word in British English used to describe any cereal crop, usually wheat. A cornfield is generally full of wheat or barley, and cornflowers grow in wheatfields.

Maybe it's the pernicious US influence, or my lack of a rural upbringing, but I tend to think of 'corn' as meaning maize rather than barley or wheat.

(wheat fields were not part of the landscape where I grew up in East Kent, so I wouldn't have seen cornflowers very often - it was all hops, orchards or brassicas round my way; these days it's all oilseed rape or new housing estates)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1974 on: 06 October, 2017, 10:23:04 am »
I think cornflowers are similar to poppies in the places they like to grow, ie recently disturbed land.
But dont mix up cornflower, cornflour, corn starch or cornmeal.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes