Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864494 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2325 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:50:57 am »
Yes, since I thought they had a knife ban.  I may be wrong.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2326 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:02:14 am »
I did not know that.  I think you're right, though: I just looked for "carbon steel kitchen knife" and drew a blank. Plenty of ceramic ones, which are presumably no good in a fight. And plenty on ebay France and Amazon UK.

Well, well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2327 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:07:51 am »
Yeah.  I recognise, of course, that a Swann Morton No.10A is never going to be the most effective in a shanking, but the traditional choice of bovver boys was always a Stanley...
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2328 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:26:53 am »
According to the woman on Radio 5 just now, "on days like this [ie snowy ones], your computer screen is red hot". In case you're wondering why this might be, she went on to explain that it's because you're looking at so many different online weather reports, traffic news, flight info etc.

So today I have learned that looking at lots of different websites in a short space of time can cause your monitor to overheat. Well I nevah!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2329 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:34:15 am »
Yeah.  I recognise, of course, that a Swann Morton No.10A is never going to be the most effective in a shanking, but the traditional choice of bovver boys was always a Stanley...

I wonder if there was a surge in sales of "box cutters" after 9/11.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2330 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:48:34 am »
We've been doing SCIENCE, and have discovered that the standby mode on barakta's hearing aids drops the average current consumption from 1.33mA to 1.24mA.  This is why the official switching-off procedure is to leave the battery compartment hanging open for ease of pingfuckiting and eventual ingestion of the cell by small children and other animals.
Ah, but those little hearing aid batteries use air1 as an electrolyte and have a quite appalling self discharge rate once the holes have been opened by the removal of the sticky label. To a user such as myself who will only put my hearing aids in when I'm interacting with someone2, the fact that the batteries go flat just as quickly while not being used is most irksome3.

1. Well oxygen actually
2. I have my reasons, and they are not all associated with me being a grumpy bugger who'd rather not talk to people.
3. And the Yorkshire in me gets very upset.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2331 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:53:09 am »
]Ah, but those little hearing aid batteries use air1 as an electrolyte and have a quite appalling self discharge rate once the holes have been opened by the removal of the sticky label. To a user such as myself who will only put my hearing aids in when I'm interacting with someone2, the fact that the batteries go flat just as quickly while not being used is most irksome3.
Well, that's what I've learned today.
Yes, it is most irksome.
Ta.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2332 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:11:08 pm »
Can you not use a squirt of inert gas and a sealed box to keep them in? Or is it once triggered, that is it?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2333 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:14:01 pm »
I think once triggered that's it as the reaction starts...

I reckon the self-discharge from opening of CP44 (675) Zinc Air batteries is about 22-23 days

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2334 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:24:52 pm »
I did not know that.  I think you're right, though: I just looked for "carbon steel kitchen knife" and drew a blank. Plenty of ceramic ones, which are presumably no good in a fight. And plenty on ebay France and Amazon UK.

ISTR hearing that the London Bridge attackers used ceramic knives from a well-known low-cost German horriblemarket for their knifecriming murders.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2335 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:41:56 pm »
Orson Welles' last gig as director was the "Follow The Bear" advert for Hofmeister lager, featuring a blokey bear, George, in a pork-pie hat  ;D

It's also an example of nominative determinism, which makes it even better.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2336 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:17:44 pm »
We've been doing SCIENCE, and have discovered that the standby mode on barakta's hearing aids drops the average current consumption from 1.33mA to 1.24mA.  This is why the official switching-off procedure is to leave the battery compartment hanging open for ease of pingfuckiting and eventual ingestion of the cell by small children and other animals.
Ah, but those little hearing aid batteries use air1 as an electrolyte and have a quite appalling self discharge rate once the holes have been opened by the removal of the sticky label.

Yes.  It's hard to put a figure on it, as it depends somewhat on temperature and humidity (AUIU it's accumulation of water that depletes the electrolyte), but it's something of the order of 0.5mA for these 675 cells.  That's a fair chunk of the current draw of these aids, and not far off the quiescent[1] current of the (analogue) BAHA Classic.

To a user such as myself who will only put my hearing aids in when I'm interacting with someone

I've got no time for the "you should wear your hearing aids at all times except when you're in the shower" audiology propaganda.  Sure, you've got to put the effort in to get used to hearing with them, and many people don't.  But unless you're trying to drown out tinnitus there's no point in giving yourself fatigue just to hear traffic noise / other people's half phone calls / computer fans / bad acoustics / seagull fights / etc. if you don't need to.  Especially if it involves earmoulds.  There's simply no point in the system where audiologists nag their patients with unrealistic textbook goals and deaf people feel compelled to lie[2] about how much they're using them.   >:(

[1] The two digital models we have to hand draw a flat rate of 1.3mA or so, regardless of what they're doing (apart from the Ponto's afore-mentioned standby mode), but the Classic would pull 0.7mA quiecent, and then up to the same again depending on what it was amplifying.
[2] It seems that some modern digital aids will tell tales to the programming software about how much they've been used.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2337 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:27:08 am »
The music in Jean de Florette is based on Verdi's La forza del destino, which I have never seen or listened to. But will.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2338 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:35:46 am »
The music in Jean de Florette is based on Verdi's La forza del destino, which I have never seen or listened to. But will.
I thought it was based on a lager advert  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2339 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:48:05 am »
That would be a UK cultural reference?  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2340 on: 03 March, 2018, 02:38:21 pm »
That a grebo is not just a greasy biker who beats up small children, but a West African language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grebo_language
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #2341 on: 03 March, 2018, 06:35:36 pm »
I've got no time for the "you should wear your hearing aids at all times except when you're in the shower" audiology propaganda.  Sure, you've got to put the effort in to get used to hearing with them, and many people don't.  But unless you're trying to drown out tinnitus there's no point in giving yourself fatigue just to hear traffic noise / other people's half phone calls / computer fans / bad acoustics / seagull fights / etc. if you don't need to.  Especially if it involves earmoulds.  There's simply no point in the system where audiologists nag their patients with unrealistic textbook goals and deaf people feel compelled to lie[2] about how much they're using them.   >:(
]

Have you ever tried the low-tech alternative?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2342 on: 03 March, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »
Have you ever tried the low-tech alternative?

When I first learned that the gain of a BAHA is measured in square metres (because it's converting pressure to force), it occurred to me that it would represent the area of a functionally equivalent passive 'eardrum'.

Sadly this sort of information's been hard to get hold of since Cochlear took over, but I remember it being significantly bigger than a head...  Wonderful things, transistors.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2343 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:31:54 pm »
That the Clangers are subtitled
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2344 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:06:55 am »
Kinda like getting an OBE instead of a K?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2345 on: 04 March, 2018, 02:28:39 pm »
That sheep are claustrophobic.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2346 on: 04 March, 2018, 02:36:08 pm »
That sheep are claustrophobic.

Not too surprising, seeing what happens to some of them.
https://youtu.be/wA184Vs4Zeg
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2347 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:17:34 pm »
That one of the brothels on Stokes Croft, a street with a somewhat mixed reputation, has been there since at least 1986.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/history/changing-face-stokes-croft-over-1281180
I'd assumed they'd moved in there following the police clearing up street prostitution in the nearby St Paul's. (Should this be in NSFW?!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2348 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:14:47 pm »
That there was a period of just 3 giddy weeks of English history between the last Viking invasion being successfully defeated and the first Norman invasion being successful.

Maybe everyone who did English history already knew this, but I'm just catching up on the Dark ages at the mo.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2349 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:17:45 pm »
The Normans were Vikings invading from France, having been there a few generations. Hence Northmen (attacking from the south)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes