Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864489 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2575 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:07:55 pm »
I am Lardicus of Borg. Resistance is futile, your sandwich will be assimilated. Got any Ketchup?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2576 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:26:30 pm »
Having had mediocre results from a bean-to-cup coffee machine (and gastritis to boot) I ignored it for a couple of months. The other day I tried it again, but had only some Sidamo I roasted in March - stale by any respectable standard.  Surprise: really quite good espresso.

Conclusion: bean-to-cup machines are designed to work best with supermarket coffee.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2577 on: 30 June, 2018, 09:57:45 am »
That after slopping sun screen all over your arms and legs, you should wash your  hands thoroughly before reaching for that full mug of coffee.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2578 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:55:52 am »
That waiting for the "Walk" sign costs the USA economy $2.6 billion a year.
According to an American study, people spend around 1.6 billion hours each year standing idly at the roadside, at the cost of US$2.6 billion to the American economy.
https://theconversation.com/does-pushing-the-walk-button-help-you-cross-the-street-faster-a-transport-engineer-weighs-in-98886
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2579 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:00:43 am »
Yeah we need them in their cars so they can use their mobiles to answer emails.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2580 on: 04 July, 2018, 05:24:12 pm »
That after slopping sun screen all over your arms and legs, you should wash your  hands thoroughly before reaching for that full mug of coffee.

Or rubbing your eyes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2581 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:39:10 am »
But you can go and lean on that annoying car that's been parked in your space for the last three days.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2582 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »
Meanwhile:

In the years following the Battle of Waterloo, false teeth were known as Waterloo teeth because raw material became plentiful.

ElyDave

« Reply #2583 on: 05 July, 2018, 09:18:14 pm »
that also came up on the Antiques Roadshow this weekend just gone

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2584 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:26:07 am »
That I'm no where near as good at dealing with potential change than I thought I was.

I always thought I was crap at dealing with potential change but it turns out that I am monumentally atrocious at dealing with potential change. I suppose the thing to do is make a decision and then I only have to live with the consequences.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2585 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:03:11 am »
that also came up on the Antiques Roadshow this weekend just gone

Curious coincidence - I've never seen it. The Inlaws used to talk about it occasionally.

« Reply #2586 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:13:24 pm »
That I'm no where near as good at dealing with potential change than I thought I was.

I always thought I was crap at dealing with potential change but it turns out that I am monumentally atrocious at dealing with potential change. I suppose the thing to do is make a decision and then I only have to live with the consequences.
The classic analogy for change is the grieving process and I think it is pretty close.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2587 on: 06 July, 2018, 04:06:41 pm »

The classic analogy for change is the grieving process and I think it is pretty close.
Although Dr Beardy (Mrs) aka Dr Death, being a scholar of death and dying questions the validity of grieving process, and I believe would cite research that backs such opinions. Being naught but a middle manager of technological development I wouldn’t know such things, though I have recently seen the model which you speak in a presentation to us by management intended to help us through the trauma of change.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2588 on: 10 July, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »
Insurers in France will only pay out on bike theft if the bike was secured with two locks.

« Reply #2589 on: 10 July, 2018, 04:53:51 pm »
That some models of chain splitters can be used as valve core tools.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

« Reply #2590 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:45:32 am »
That trying to audit a ship is harder than it sounds. The bloody things keep moving

First it was Rotterdam, then Teesport, then that was delayed to the weekend when I can't do it.

Now it's Marseilles and that's been delayed as well. Another night in the south of France, and rebook the flight.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2591 on: 11 July, 2018, 08:08:57 am »
That while my second cuppa is brewing I have the time to switch on the B2C machine, turn out a decent espresso, drink it and power down again before the tea-timer beeps.

Tea tastes a bit phunny, though.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2592 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:22:22 am »
That B&Q 1000mm base units aren't 1000 long.  I'd have assumed they were about 999, or maybe exactly 1000.  Nope, they are 1003.5mm long.  Guess how long a space I'd left for the two 1000mm units in my workshop - correct, it wasn't 2007, it was 2005.  Spent hours with a variety of interesting tools hacking 3mm or so off the side of the very substantial wooden stand I'd built for my milling machine.  B&Q, you are bastards...
Wombat

« Reply #2593 on: 11 July, 2018, 02:34:18 pm »
Wouldn't it have been easier to perform surgery on (one of) the base units? 3mm is about the kerf of my circular saw blade ...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2594 on: 13 July, 2018, 01:22:34 pm »
The B-tension screw on a modern rear mech is necessary because of vertical dropouts. With horizontal dropouts you didn't need one - you slid the wheel back and forth to get the best angle and cog clearance, then fixed that position with the dropout adjustment screws.  You know, the ones that rust solid after a winter.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2595 on: 14 July, 2018, 08:06:51 am »
That cats won’t drink from water bowls placed next to their food. Evolution, apparently.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2596 on: 14 July, 2018, 10:09:58 am »
That cats won’t drink from water bowls placed next to their food. Evolution, apparently.
IME cats prefer anything except the water provided by their domestic staff...puddles, scummy ponds, dripping taps...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2597 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:11:58 am »
That Nidd is in Yorkshire, near Harrogate.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2598 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:23:16 am »
FSVO near. Harrogate isn't really in Nidderdale, though I agree it's nearer the Nidd than the Wharfe. :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2599 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »
FSVO near. Harrogate isn't really in Nidderdale, though I agree it's nearer the Nidd than the Wharfe. :)

The main point is surely that it's isn't served by any TFL railway line.