Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864160 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3400 on: 01 May, 2019, 08:44:01 am »
Not to be confused with shipshape objects, presumably.
Hopefully the ship-shaped object is shipshape thobut.

But is it Bristol-fashion? And if it is, what number on the Bristol Scale?
Ship-shaped, not shit-shaped.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3401 on: 01 May, 2019, 10:40:30 am »
The meanings of "numinous" and "algor". Oh and "liminal" though I already had an idea of that one.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3402 on: 02 May, 2019, 09:49:22 pm »
That just as there are bike-shaped objects, there are ship-shaped objects. "A ship-shaped, turret-moored FPSO." Looks like a ship to me, but no, FPSO = floating production, storage and offloading unit.

Ship-shaped, but with no ability to self-propel, they rotate around the turret into the wind/tides. 

As a consequence, in an emergency, the optimum direction of escape may not be aft, where the accomodation is generally located.  On the induction tour always look for the safe refuge at the pointy end
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #3403 on: 02 May, 2019, 09:51:07 pm »
$1.5 billion I think this one was.

Shell's new one off Aus - Prelude, is a floating LNG production unit, and is the largest "vessel" in the world at >300m long.  It's f'ing huge

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3404 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:59:54 am »
That Dorset and back from Chester in a day is a bloody long way.  Particularly when you have to sit at Oldbury Viaduct on the M5 for an hour on the way back because some van's broken down in the roadworks.

It'll take me all day to recover.  I bought a couple of beers from the shop when I got home, but only drank 1.  I was that tired.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3405 on: 03 May, 2019, 10:39:04 am »
Audax UK rider.

Yeah. I suppose it was more block that puzzled me: not having cycled in the UK since the 60s it's not a term I'd heard for a cassette. Back then I had an SA hub.

They'll be calling a crossbar something else next.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3406 on: 03 May, 2019, 09:11:26 pm »
That (strong) leather can be made from fish skin.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3407 on: 04 May, 2019, 07:42:24 am »
I think that historically most Inuit clothing was made from fish skin. At any rate there used to be a display of Eskimo clothes and tools in the museum here, which was mostly made from fish skin.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3408 on: 04 May, 2019, 08:47:19 am »

I read that report, and immediately went off to see if any of my preferred suppliers sell it.  Sadly, they don't. The quoted prices compare well with similar weight cow and goat leathers.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #3409 on: 04 May, 2019, 02:53:04 pm »
That there is pink asparagus.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

« Reply #3410 on: 04 May, 2019, 07:09:56 pm »
That there is pink asparagus.

I grow pacific purple in my garden.  With most of these, teh colour disappears on cooking

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3411 on: 05 May, 2019, 10:59:06 am »
And they all smell the same down t'other end.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3412 on: 05 May, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
Laptop battery lost capacity?  Getting warnings from the BIOS that it needs replacing?  Put the battery in the freezer for a day or so, thaw it out in the fridge and you should find it's more or less back to normal.  Freezing breaks up the large crystals that form over time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3413 on: 05 May, 2019, 10:45:16 pm »
Laptop battery lost capacity?  Getting warnings from the BIOS that it needs replacing?  Put the battery in the freezer for a day or so, thaw it out in the fridge and you should find it's more or less back to normal.  Freezing breaks up the large crystals that form over time.
Not for lithium batteries apparently. NiMH or NiCd only.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3414 on: 06 May, 2019, 06:55:16 am »
Mine's Li-ion and it worked.  Went from not charging at all to over 2 hours' real-world capacity.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3416 on: 07 May, 2019, 12:53:36 pm »
That the S1 trainline out of Hamburg splits in two before it reaches the airport, and that if you haven’t checked the information on the front of the train you can end up feeling slightly foolish.  I had to double back 2 stops & get the correct train.  Luckily I believe in having good safety margins so I’d plenty of time.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #3417 on: 07 May, 2019, 01:08:57 pm »
Mine's Li-ion and it worked.  Went from not charging at all to over 2 hours' real-world capacity.

Having seen my Dell spontaneously combust I wouldn't mess with Li-based batteries. Which reminds me, I have new one for my geriatric Macbook Air. Alas to say, that while the box came with the requisite tools, it was missing any appropriate swears (though if YouTube is to be believed, it's just a case of removing about a million screws and not losing any or having a cat march through the middle of proceedings).

« Reply #3418 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:07:50 pm »
Speaking of lithium batteries, my flight is currently stuck at Hamburg, while they search the hold luggage for one which some idiot has checked in.  >:(

« Reply #3419 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:35:08 pm »
Manx Shearwaters are long-lived. One was trapped in Northern Ireland in 2003 which had been ringed in 1953. And it would have had to have been an adult to have been ringed, so was at least 55 years old.

Given their lifespan and migration patterns they could well fly over 5 million miles in a lifetime.

Half the population live on Skomer, which I visited last week, but they only return to their burrows at night, so I didn't see any. (A disappointment more than made up by the puffins).

« Reply #3420 on: 07 May, 2019, 06:02:27 pm »
That the S1 trainline out of Hamburg splits in two before it reaches the airport, and that if you haven’t checked the information on the front of the train you can end up feeling slightly foolish.  I had to double back 2 stops & get the correct train.  Luckily I believe in having good safety margins so I’d plenty of time.

I almost did the same thing on a late night TGV from Pau to Paris years ago. I was reading the various official notices around the train car out of boredom when it dawned on me that train I was on was going to split, and the half I was on was headed for someplace in Switzerland. Dragging a boxed bicycle and other luggage through 3 or 4 cars of sleeping people did not make me popular.

« Reply #3421 on: 07 May, 2019, 09:09:12 pm »
Courtesy of the always educational & amazing Charlotte, the Italian for "Big Knickers"..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYPDB_xVpA&frags=pl%2Cwn

« Reply #3422 on: 07 May, 2019, 10:18:13 pm »

I read that report, and immediately went off to see if any of my preferred suppliers sell it.  Sadly, they don't. The quoted prices compare well with similar weight cow and goat leathers.

Dictum in Germany used to sell salmon skin leather. It's worth looking at the website to see whether or not it's still available.

I've just checked. There is no salmon skin, but they have stigray skin.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3423 on: 08 May, 2019, 04:36:22 pm »
That Gloucester is in Essex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester,_Massachusetts Some early settlers were mighty confused.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3424 on: 08 May, 2019, 08:26:11 pm »
This.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86532.msg2391705#msg2391705

Great geeking, Chris.
And that video. Wow!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.