Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864160 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4450 on: 13 August, 2020, 06:51:02 pm »
Yes, I'm aware of both those. I was thinking about currency.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4451 on: 13 August, 2020, 06:54:37 pm »
Klaus says they might say „Zahle ich auf Helle und Pfennig zurück „ which are two old forms of money.

He says they might also say „Mark“ for something.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4452 on: 13 August, 2020, 06:57:54 pm »
So if something costs 10 euro they might say 10 marks, for example?

Heller are going back pre-WW2! Although used in Czech Rep till more recently.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4453 on: 13 August, 2020, 07:40:35 pm »
that reminds me of an Americanian colleague on arrival at LHR with me one day  "I'd better get myself some quids"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4454 on: 13 August, 2020, 08:48:32 pm »
Just before the Euro was minted into something we could touch. CNN was doing a deep dive into what it meant to have one currency. The journo said at the end that the Euro will only truly become a European money the day it gets a common nickname like buck, dime, quid.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4455 on: 13 August, 2020, 09:31:09 pm »
Klaus says they might say „Zahle ich auf Helle und Pfennig zurück „ which are two old forms of money.

I remember groschen being used for a 10 pfennig piece.

Having learnt German and lived* in various Germanies in pre-euro days I have been known to instinctively use 'Mark' for 'Euro' when speaking German.

*including 2 months in Schwäbisch Hall, which was a town so rich** it had its own coin, the Häller. hence the Heller in the Czech Republic, Austro-Hungary, German East Africa etc.

** because of salt - cf Bad Reichenhall in Bavaria (where salt is produced) and 'halen' - Welsh for salt.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4456 on: 13 August, 2020, 09:33:56 pm »

Having learnt German and lived* in various Germanies in pre-euro days I have been known to instinctively use 'Mark' for 'Euro' when speaking German.

*including 2 months in Schwäbisch Hall, which was a town so rich** it had its own coin, the Häller. hence the Heller in the Czech Republic, Austro-Hungary, German East Africa etc.

** because of salt - cf Bad Reichenhall in Bavaria (where salt is produced) and 'halen' - Welsh for salt.
Do halides share the same etymological root?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4457 on: 13 August, 2020, 10:15:40 pm »
The OED says that the hal in halides is from the Greek for salt, so I imagine there's an Indo European common ancestor.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Indo-European/s%C3%A9h%E2%82%82ls suggests that is the case (along with sal sel etc)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #4458 on: 14 August, 2020, 02:39:42 am »

I remember 1 Austrian schilling being made up of 100 groschen, with a 10 groschen coin being an incredibly flimsy piece of aluminum (sorry, aluminium). I'm pretty sure the 10 groschen piece was as small as Austrian coinage got.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4459 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:52:00 am »
And the groschen lives on, in the form of grosz, as the smallest coin in Poland (100 groszy to 1 zloty).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4460 on: 15 August, 2020, 11:35:41 pm »
Ah, yes, me saying Francs instead of Euros in Corsica in 2006. The Euro had only been in use for ~7 years in my defence  ::-)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4461 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:27:12 am »

I remember 1 Austrian schilling being made up of 100 groschen, with a 10 groschen coin being an incredibly flimsy piece of aluminum (sorry, aluminium). I'm pretty sure the 10 groschen piece was as small as Austrian coinage got.

I still have a few of those in my random foreign coin box, along with guilders, Belgian and French francs, pesetas, lira, escudos, rupees, Saudi riyals...

The closest I have in flimsiness would be the Indian one rupee, which seems more symbolic than anything. When you give money as a gift its bad form apparently to give 100 rupees as an example, considered too exact, so there is an industry in producing these coins to allow gifts of 101 rupees. 

Most Indians even do it in this country, an envelope with fifty quid and one rupee etc.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4462 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:33:04 am »
Ah, yes, me saying Francs instead of Euros in Corsica in 2006. The Euro had only been in use for ~7 years in my defence  ::-)

Twenty years after the fall of the Soviet Union I encountered people in Ukraine referring prices in 'roubles' - for most of that period the currency was the hryvnia (and still is).   ::-)
I would refuse to buy from anyone saying that.  Then again, I'm a 'rabid Ukrainian nationalist'.  ::-) ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4463 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:55:20 am »

A lot of places round here have soultz or seltz in their names.  A chum lives in Niedersoultzbach - nether-salt-stream.  A lot - a very lot - of places in Alsace have ludicrously long names made up of linguistic Lego blocks.  They usually come in two or three flavours, Ober, Mittel and Nieder, then a defining middle bit such as stein, selz, soultz, schaeffols etc., then a terminator such as berg, bach, hoffen, heim or hausen. Rummage around the box and pick one of each sort and you have the name of a typical Alsacien village.

The trouble is with this system that it's very hard to remember which particular set of blocks applies to which place: is it a berg or a heim, or was it maybe a hoffen?  Asking your way becomes chancy, too, because the locals usually leave bits off, e.g. when you're in Niederschaeffolsheim the Schaeffolsheim is silent, but when you're somewhere close to Niedersteinbach or Obersteinbach they'll just be referred to as Steinbach, unless you insist on the difference and brand yourself a low-life tourist.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4464 on: 16 August, 2020, 01:11:40 pm »

I still have a few of those in my random foreign coin box, along with guilders, Belgian and French francs, pesetas, lira, escudos, rupees, Saudi riyals...

The closest I have in flimsiness would be the Indian one rupee, which seems more symbolic than anything. When you give money as a gift its bad form apparently to give 100 rupees as an example, considered too exact, so there is an industry in producing these coins to allow gifts of 101 rupees. 

Most Indians even do it in this country, an envelope with fifty quid and one rupee etc.
I don't recall the 1 rupee coin being particularly flimsy, but they might have changed it in the last ten years. It was still in normal circulation then and sometimes prices even went down to the last 50 paise, though you virtually never saw a 50 paise coin. Certainly the 1 rupee was nowhere near as flimsy as some of the Polish coins from the late 80s or early 90s which I've handled but never used. They were aluminium and felt as if they might even be hollow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4465 on: 16 August, 2020, 02:02:04 pm »
That sloppy use of 'splice' as applied to electrical cables is a USAnianism.  I'd noticed some people using 'splice' when they actually mean "join two cables with a junction box or coupler" rather than actually splicing the conductors, but hadn't twigged that it was a pondian distinction.

« Reply #4466 on: 16 August, 2020, 04:57:10 pm »
The we have fewer genes than an onion. And that onions have deodorising properties.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4467 on: 16 August, 2020, 05:50:23 pm »
UK folk still talk shillings and bob and stuff... And that's nearly 50 yrs ago now.

« Reply #4468 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:03:24 pm »
Fish and chips 1/6,  those were the days, and the newspaper certainly did add a certain je ne sais quoi, particularly when wet.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4469 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:39:13 pm »
Thruppence for a bag of crisps  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4470 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:01:57 pm »
Blackjacks a farthing each  ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4471 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:36:43 pm »
4+ GALLONS of petrol for £1 when I first started driving  (it was 4/10d in old parlance, per gallon)  - and a brand new Austin Mini de luxe cost £515/12/6d.

. . . .  and when Watneys Red Barrel passed two shillings a pint we boycotted it for a while.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4472 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:42:50 pm »

As a child I actually bought one blackjack with a farthing coin.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4473 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:46:45 pm »

Jeez - you must be really old  ;)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4474 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:51:37 pm »

Jeez - you must be really old  ;)

It would appear so.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.