Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864243 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4800 on: 03 November, 2020, 11:06:45 pm »
My MP's name is David Duguid, one of the 6  in Scotland.
Speaking to a farmer today I learned his surname is pronounced "jewkit" which fits well into local speak. 

I've lived here for > 40 years and would claim to understand the local tongue fairly well.

I could've told you that  :) I wonder if he remembers the ghastly school song  :hand:

I had heard the local name I just hadn't connected the two alternative pronunciations with the same person. I've been chuckling about my mistake all weekend.
I dread to think of which school but probably not Phd Academy

It's on his Wikinaccurate page. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55969.msg1145034#msg1145034 also refers*.

*First hit when I used a FISE.

« Reply #4801 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:55:56 am »
Thanks Pingu, I'm not sure my life has been enhanced.

« Reply #4802 on: 04 November, 2020, 02:19:29 pm »
Sharks are older than trees!

Apparently there where sharks 450 million years ago, and trees have only been about for 350 million years.
Just someone's butler

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4803 on: 04 November, 2020, 03:07:20 pm »
From another thread:
Outwith is a perfectly cromulent word.

My memory is playing tricks on me. I could have sworn "It's a perfectly cromulent word" was from the dictionary episode in Blackadder the Third, but I looked it up to check and it turns out the line was first used in an episode of The Simpsons in 1996, and was coined for an in-joke among the show runners, along with "embiggen".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/what-does-cromulent-mean

Never really been into the Simpsons so that's not an episode I've knowingly seen.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4804 on: 04 November, 2020, 03:15:31 pm »
...I could have sworn "It's a perfectly cromulent word" was from the dictionary episode in Blackadder the Third,...

https://blackadderquotes.com/blackadder-series-3-episode-2-ink-and-incapability-full-script
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4805 on: 04 November, 2020, 03:16:08 pm »
From another thread:
Outwith is a perfectly cromulent word.

My memory is playing tricks on me. I could have sworn "It's a perfectly cromulent word" was from the dictionary episode in Blackadder the Third, but I looked it up to check and it turns out the line was first used in an episode of The Simpsons in 1996, and was coined for an in-joke among the show runners, along with "embiggen".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/what-does-cromulent-mean

Never really been into the Simpsons so that's not an episode I've knowingly seen.

I think we did the same bit of web based research. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4806 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:11:04 pm »
That Chumbawamba stole the chorus of “Timebomb” off a Buffalo Springfield track :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4807 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:37:34 pm »
That Drax is in North Yorkshire.
Always (lazily it turns out) assumed it was borderline East/West
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4808 on: 09 November, 2020, 10:34:09 am »
Kamala is one of many sanskrit names for a Lotus. 

From : http://jayarava.blogspot.com/2018/02/lotus-synonyms-in-sanskrit.html

"The word padma is probably the most generic name for the lotus. It simply means lotus. Etymologically, it probably derives from √pad, "step", with the suffix -ma (Cf. dharma from √dhṛ + ma). Kamala is also frequently used but, strictly speaking, means "pale-red" (i.e., pink) or "rose-coloured". Clearly, it comes from the varying pinkness of the flower."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

« Reply #4809 on: 09 November, 2020, 03:53:46 pm »
That Drax is in North Yorkshire.
Always (lazily it turns out) assumed it was borderline East/West

That surprises me... But that's partly because I was getting Drax and Ferrybridge mixed up in my mind... the cooling towers at Ferrybridge are what I used to see as we came off the M1 on the way to visit my gran in Pontefract. IIRC, Drax was the one you could see from the train en route for a day trip from Pontefract to Bridlington.

Looking at the map, I'm still surprised to learn Drax is in North Yorkshire. It's further south than Leeds! That's messing with my head.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4810 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:02:17 pm »
As anyone who's ever cycled the seemingly endless road up from Thorne into a wet againsterly knows, Drax isn't so much a place as a state of mind.

citoyen

« Reply #4811 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:21:26 pm »
As anyone who's ever cycled the seemingly endless road up from Thorne into a wet againsterly knows, Drax isn't so much a place as a state of mind.

I got as far as Goole services before I turned round and rode back the other way.

Admittedly, this was planned, being the route of the Flatlands 600. And actually, come to think of it, that didn't go through Thorne but passed somewhere nearer Scunthorpe IIRC.

« Reply #4812 on: 10 November, 2020, 09:59:38 am »
That Beck and Call derives from 14th Century Beckon and Call and that Beck is only used in this singular context.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4813 on: 10 November, 2020, 10:25:06 pm »
That just as criminals in the Christian world used to be able to claim sanctuary in a church, so runaway slaves in the Roman empire could claim asylum by holding on to the statue of a god or emperor
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4814 on: 12 November, 2020, 11:01:11 am »
Canson 70 g/m² tracing paper works in a laser printer. Ouf. I was half expecting the good old crackle'n'crumple, followed by a hot niff and maybe a wisp of smoke.

The toner stays on the paper, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4815 on: 12 November, 2020, 12:43:35 pm »
Canson 70 g/m² tracing paper works in a laser printer. Ouf. I was half expecting the good old crackle'n'crumple, followed by a hot niff and maybe a wisp of smoke.

*files this factoid away at back of brain for the day it becomes useful*

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4816 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:10:27 pm »

*files this factoid away at back of brain for the day it becomes useful*

YMMV & no responsibility accepted.  My printer is an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fn.

« Reply #4817 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:16:08 am »
"Dog and pony show" is a colloquial term which has come to mean a highly promoted, often over-staged performance, presentation, or event designed to sway or convince opinion for political, or less often, commercial ends.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4818 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:22:32 am »
Drax is the Anglicised form of dreich.

Dreich - Wet, dull, gloomy, dismal, dreary or any combination of these. Scottish weather at its most miserable. The “ch” is pronounced as in Scots loch or German ac
Move Faster and Bake Things

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #4819 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:56:14 am »
Dreich - Wet, dull, gloomy, dismal, dreary or any combination of these. Scottish weather at its most miserable. The “ch” is pronounced as in Scots loch or German ac
Also epitomised on any wet Sunday afternoon in mid November in Blaenau Ffestiniog, surrounded by the dark grey slate tips.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4820 on: 13 November, 2020, 08:02:53 am »
Drax is the Anglicised form of dreich.

It certainly looks that way: https://opendomesday.org/place/SE6726/drax/

« Reply #4821 on: 13 November, 2020, 09:19:53 am »
"Dog and pony show" is a colloquial term which has come to mean a highly promoted, often over-staged performance, presentation, or event designed to sway or convince opinion for political, or less often, commercial ends.

....featuring large in my, and I dare say Ian's, day to day work life as well as any other unfortunate soul who has acquired "thought leader" somewhere in their title.

ian

« Reply #4822 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:02:54 am »
Trust me, it's not improved now I wear a hat that reads Product Strategy.

citoyen

« Reply #4823 on: 13 November, 2020, 11:28:07 am »
'Thought leader' is not the kind of role I would like to hold, but I wouldn't mind being a "Thought manager". I just did a quick google to see if such a job exists, and I found a blog about how managers should aspire to be "Thought partners" rather than micro-managers...  :sick:

http://thecontextofthings.com/2017/03/14/thought-partner/

« Reply #4824 on: 13 November, 2020, 11:44:51 am »
'Thought leader' is not the kind of role I would like to hold,

You know what it means, do you? Please tell me, coz I don't

srsly, I have no idea, it is a title I blagged to help maintain my favoured position of nominally in charge of my own destiny with the next corporate slash and burn which, with fabulous timing as ever, has just been declared. It is a sign of the times that the (partial) news is tucked away towards the bottom of The Register's front page.