Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864379 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5350 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:00:41 pm »
I tend towards the view that a backpack doesn’t need instructions. I mean, it’s a backpack - how hard can it be?

That’ll learn me. ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5351 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:50:26 pm »
OH MY FREAKING GOD IT’S A WHISTLE!!!

My recently-purchased Decathlon has one of those. It didn't come with instructions. I've had to make do with YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnAFuM4w_50

ian

« Reply #5352 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:25:55 am »
Quite weirdly, I discovered my backpack has a whistle too. Yesterday. Though I've only had it for a month or two.

It also has instructions on what to do in an avalanche and attract mountain rescue. I'm not sure it's necessarily specced for SE England.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5353 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:10:39 am »
No such luck here, but while rooting about the bottom shelf of our wardrobe for my most recent rucksack I discovered 5 forgotten dressing-gowns, my 1990s hiking boots, a pair of Scholl's clogs, the shoes MrsT wore to go on our honeymoon 50 years ago, a Hama slide sorter and a bunch of old coat-hangers. And four other rucksacks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #5354 on: 15 July, 2021, 03:10:40 pm »
Further proof that I'm always the last to know...

Queen Anne is dead

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5355 on: 15 July, 2021, 03:31:13 pm »
Falling down an internet rabbit hole inspired by Canardly's trip here I found that the phrase pour encourager les autres was coined by Voltaire in Candide, in relation to shooting an Admiral from time to time.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5356 on: 15 July, 2021, 03:33:16 pm »
Further proof that I'm always the last to know...

Queen Anne is dead

The Duchess of Richmond, said to be the model for Britannia on coins, was accompanied by her stuffed pet parrot.

And I bet her hubby said "kill and stuff the confounded thing, I can't stand the racket".

citoyen

« Reply #5357 on: 15 July, 2021, 03:42:16 pm »
The Duchess of Richmond, said to be the model for Britannia on coins, was accompanied by her stuffed pet parrot.

And I bet her hubby said "kill and stuff the confounded thing, I can't stand the racket".

But what did he say about the parrot?

BOOM! and indeed BOOM!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5358 on: 15 July, 2021, 03:50:01 pm »
Boom indeed.  What I remember about Queen Anne with an E is that she swore not to change her small-clothes until something or other was won, and as a result all the ladies of the court ended up wearing brown undies.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5359 on: 15 July, 2021, 06:31:32 pm »
Calais?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5360 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:24:55 am »
Calais? I thought that Mary had it engraved on her heart - or "callous", according to Sellar & Yeatman.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5361 on: 16 July, 2021, 12:20:06 pm »
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

[“No. No, not that” – Ed.]

The beastly French retook Calais in 1558.  One of our Great Universities had a society dedicated to the invasion and reconquest of France but I think it would have been on the news if they'd succeeded.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5362 on: 16 July, 2021, 04:35:58 pm »
You could once bend or fold a sixpenny piece by hand. Drinking beer all day would cost less than sixpence, hence going out on a bender.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

citoyen

« Reply #5363 on: 16 July, 2021, 04:50:34 pm »
You could once bend or fold a sixpenny piece by hand. Drinking beer all day would cost less than sixpence, hence going out on a bender.

Hmmm... citation needed, as the kids say.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5364 on: 16 July, 2021, 05:16:29 pm »

It is probable - I'm old enough, just, to remember silver threepenny pieces* (in use before the many-sided brass looking type, pre-decimal) and although a little smaller than the then "modern" sixpence they were very soft and could just about the bent if you pressed them with your bare hands across a hard edge of some sort - they were high-content if not solid silver.  [I do believe I have one, unbent, somewhere in my box of treasures]

* I'm not sure that they were legal tender when I saw them - that would have been in about 1953/54

citoyen

what I have learned today.
« Reply #5365 on: 16 July, 2021, 05:20:01 pm »
I don’t doubt that bit. It’s the notion of this being the origin of the phrase “going on a bender” that sounds dubious to me.

Not least because according to my understanding of the phrase, a “bender” lasts *several* days rather than just one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5366 on: 16 July, 2021, 06:57:00 pm »
A “bender” is a prolonged, irresponsible, and dangerous bout of drinking and took its name from the patrons of London, England, alehouses during the 1850s.

To promote drinking, it was common for a tavern to offer patrons all they could drink for a tuppence a day, so sixpence was good for three days.

The sixpence coin, which was worth about a quarter, was nicknamed a “bender” because if it wasn’t phony it could be easily bent.

Since this bendable coin guaranteed three days of libation, the subsequent binge became known as a “bender.”
https://zippyfacts.com/why-is-a-binge-drinking-spree-called-a-bender-and-where-did-the-term-come-from/

http://The origin of the use of the term "bender" to refer to an extended bout of drinking alcohol is not certain. Some historians think it may refer to the act of bending one's elbow to take a drink, while others believe it is associated with the phrase "getting bent out of shape."
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-bender-67956

And so on, et cetera.

citoyen

« Reply #5367 on: 16 July, 2021, 07:12:49 pm »
Both highly reputable websites, and bastions of impeccable research, I’m sure.

« Reply #5368 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »

https://www.royalmint.com/stories/collect/coin-nicknames/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5369 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:27:59 pm »
Beer token – commonly used but often assigned specifically to the £2 coin, as when it was introduced a pint of beer in Britain commonly cost around £2.
Never heard that used for £2 specifically, just as a facetious reference to money in general.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5370 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:30:00 pm »
Beer token – commonly used but often assigned specifically to the £2 coin, as when it was introduced a pint of beer in Britain commonly cost around £2.
Never heard that used for £2 specifically, just as a facetious reference to money in general.

Was standard terminology amongst my PSO cohort, and I still use the term, in spite of not drinking BEER.

ETA: I've just asked barakta, and she also understands "beer token" to mean a £2 coin, but cites their then-unusual 'token-like' appearance.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5371 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
Whereas when I was a Penniless Student Oaf the £5 note was a drinking voucher.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #5372 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:42:18 pm »
I've given up with scepticism and opted to believe the first story I read on the internet for everything.

But yes, in my day, the £5 note from a favoured ATM was the standard denomination of drinking token. I remember the super-strong beer served in the Augustus John on the Liverpool Uni campus was a princely, if awkward, £1.05 a pint – though if you got past four of them in an afternoon you'd probably wake up in Bootle at 8 pm to an irate bus driver. The 80p you had left was enough to get you back to Tuebrook though you'd need another ATM visit for the kebab purchase.

You could save money by undertaking in a foul pastime known as Addlestone's cider, which was 90p a pint but honestly, you'd always spew eventually, quite often through your nose.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5373 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:42:50 pm »
When did beer actually cost £2 a pint or thereabouts? It's quite possible I was out of the country, whenever it was!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5374 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:48:24 pm »
When did beer actually cost £2 a pint or thereabouts? It's quite possible I was out of the country, whenever it was!

February 2001, apparently.  https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/czms/mm23

By that graph, BEER was about £1.90/pint in summer 1998 when the tokens were first introduced.