Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864071 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5950 on: 18 February, 2022, 10:40:04 pm »
I like wet rooms, but that's because I've not had to deal with stopping the leaks.  They solve all sorts of mobility issues, and it's dead easy to hose everything down for cleaning.

Obviously it needs proper ventilation, and ideally some under-floor heating, so things dry out in a timely manner.  It also needs dry places to put your stuff.  ARE YOU LISTENING CAMPSITE/SPORTS CENTRE PROPRIETORS?

« Reply #5951 on: 19 February, 2022, 07:50:51 am »
This is where the leak is presenting
2022-02-18_06-28-34 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I avoided the above scenario in my bathroom by having a simple shower curtain.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5952 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:49:46 am »
Napoléon's height is usually given as 5'2", but under the Ancien Régime an inch was 2.706 cm so that he was almost 1m68 tall, or 6'6", about average for the time.

5'6" shirly?

Right enough.  :-[  Was thinking too much about sixes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5953 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:44:33 am »

I avoided the above scenario in my bathroom by having a simple shower curtain.

I always find that the airflow generated by the water jets tend to suck in shower curtains that enclose small areas, and I bet getting wet clammy shower curtain stuck to me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5954 on: 19 February, 2022, 12:48:48 pm »
Back when we had a shower curtain in the 1st Pingu towers I used to buy the really heavy duty thick plastic curtains which weren't too clingy as far as I recall, tho it was over 17 years ago.

It may yet come to a shower curtain in the short term, if my attempts to fix this leak are unsuccessful.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5955 on: 19 February, 2022, 03:56:44 pm »
Napoléon's height is usually given as 5'2", but under the Ancien Régime an inch was 2.706 cm so that he was almost 1m68 tall, or 6'6", about average for the time.

5'6" shirly?

Indeed, I think T42’s post should go into the arithmetic that makes you cringe thread
Rather than cringeworthy arithmetic, I read it as TRINIDAD. That's like TOBAGO but not good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5956 on: 19 February, 2022, 05:21:19 pm »

5'6" shirly?

Indeed, I think T42’s post should go into the arithmetic that makes you cringe thread

It's a typo, ye gomerel, not bad arithmetic.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5957 on: 23 February, 2022, 10:08:51 am »
The word "veiligheidswielen",

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5958 on: 24 February, 2022, 05:25:52 pm »
Oak Furniture Land furniture is not solid oak . . .  it's real wood, possibly oak, but in strips laminated together and then with what looks like some sort of woodgrain wrap.   

[I acquired a damaged double-bed frame to recycle the timber for some of the products I make - as soon as I cut the posts on the headboard the structure was revealed]

« Reply #5959 on: 24 February, 2022, 05:45:30 pm »
I guess the real question I would ask myself - is : Do I want a bath-tub? - or shall I replace it with a large shower tray/cubicle (the type with no door where the screens are sealed to the base)?

We have separate bath & cubicle, and I'm kicking myself to this day about not holding out for shower-only.  "A bathroom has to have a bath," they said.

13 years later and it's been used just once for bathing. The rest of the time it has mostly gathered dust.  The only positive thing about it is that I can take off the shower-head - the bath came with its own shower-head - and use the powerful jet of water from the hose to blast a stuck moby round the bend.

My current place has no bath. I do think that a bathroom should have a bath, really, but I'm not sure the faff and expense involved in replacing it would be worth it for the luxury of having a bath once in a while. I have yet to check whether my bike fits in the shower cubicle, though...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5960 on: 24 February, 2022, 05:49:21 pm »
Quote from: robgul
... real wood, possibly oak, but in strips laminated together and then with what looks like some sort of woodgrain wrap.   
I did wonder how they managed to keep their prices down.  Mind you (a sort of) glulam has got to be better than IKEA's very best chipboard & sticky-back plastic offerings and looking on the "green" side of things it means wood that may otherwise be discarded or, worse, burnt gets used.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5961 on: 24 February, 2022, 06:19:09 pm »
Ukraine used to be the most heavily nuclear weaponsed country but then de-nuked some time ago...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5962 on: 24 February, 2022, 07:33:52 pm »
That the castle at Cesky Krumlov, in the Czech Rep, has a real, populated BEAR moat. Apparently BEARS were commonly kept in castle moats as a first line of defence in parts of Europe with BEAR populations during the 16th and 17th centuries. Unlike human soldiers, they don't need to be paid or want holidays or fall asleep at inconvenient times like a cold winter's day. Oh, maybe not that last part.

Disappointingly, the current BEAR population of Cesky Krumlov's BEAR moat is one (1) bear.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5963 on: 24 February, 2022, 07:41:29 pm »
That Leopold I, Emperor of the Holy Romans in the latter half of the 17th century, like hunting. Well of course he did. But rather than sneak through the forest with a gun or a bow and arrows to kill deer, he would have his minions beat the deer into a deep lake, where his entourage would pick them off with crossbows.

But that was as nothing compared to his preferred method of fox hunting, which did not involve horses and red coats, but having foxes brought to him so he could toss them in a blanket (!) before clubbing them to death.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5964 on: 25 February, 2022, 10:30:30 am »
That Leopold I, Emperor of the Holy Romans in the latter half of the 17th century, like hunting. Well of course he did. But rather than sneak through the forest with a gun or a bow and arrows to kill deer, he would have his minions beat the deer into a deep lake, where his entourage would pick them off with crossbows.

But that was as nothing compared to his preferred method of fox hunting, which did not involve horses and red coats, but having foxes brought to him so he could toss them in a blanket (!) before clubbing them to death.

... being pedantic - huntsmen don't wear RED coats - they are PINK  (being named after the tailor Thomas Pink in Savile Row rather than the colour)

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5965 on: 25 February, 2022, 11:33:09 am »
From the cold-season sporty thing in China: polar penis, a frozen todger due to high speed and light clothing in cross-country skiing.
Suggestions for suitable protection, please.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #5967 on: 25 February, 2022, 12:15:26 pm »
From the cold-season sporty thing in China: polar penis, a frozen todger due to high speed and light clothing in cross-country skiing.
Suggestions for suitable protection, please.

A cricket box with plenty of Vicks VapoRub or Deep Heat smeared inside it?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5968 on: 26 February, 2022, 09:21:06 am »
That's cruel!
At the start of a TT on a cold morning a rider had rubbed some such gloop on to his thighs and then went behind a hedge for a leak. His reaction couls have been heard at the turn point!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #5969 on: 26 February, 2022, 06:37:59 pm »
That “Arena” is Latin for “Sand” which was the surface of the business part of a Roman amphitheatre.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5970 on: 26 February, 2022, 10:45:36 pm »
Canola oil is a North American name for Rapeseed Oil.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5971 on: 27 February, 2022, 07:09:40 am »
That “Arena” is Latin for “Sand” which was the surface of the business part of a Roman amphitheatre.
and the geological term for 'sandy' is arenaceous. Follows, innit?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5972 on: 27 February, 2022, 08:14:47 am »
and the geological term for 'sandy' is arenaceous. Follows, innit?

Like Arenaceous Toksvig.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5973 on: 28 February, 2022, 11:53:16 am »
That making Jews wear a yellow star on their clothing wasn't a new idea thought up Hitler and the Nazis. It was the revival of a former Central European practice, officially abolished by Emperor Joseph II, who died in 1790. He also removed the previous ban on Jews leaving their houses on Sundays and Christian feast days.

« Reply #5974 on: 01 March, 2022, 12:19:17 am »

... being pedantic - huntsmen don't wear RED coats - they are PINK  (being named after the tailor Thomas Pink in Savile Row rather than the colour)

Is that actually being pedantic though? If* the coats are named after a tailor, that doesn't mean their being described as red is incorrect, merely that the name of the tailor is - coincidentally - also the name of a colour. That doesn't stop them being red, any more than being Hunter wellies stops them being green.

When pink is involved in their description, they're not coats which "are PINK": they're "pinks".

Now that's pedantry...

*'tis a tale oft told, though one lacking in reliable documentary evidence.