Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864523 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6175 on: 30 May, 2022, 12:48:23 pm »
From the sound of it somewhere furry boots are needed to prevent one’s toes from turning blue and falling off.

Edit: if it’s any consolation it's raining in East Londonton too, but fortunately didn’t start until after I'd ridden back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6176 on: 30 May, 2022, 02:01:29 pm »
That a) Eric Coates composed it, and b) the inspiration for "By the Sleepy Lagoon"*  came from looking across the sea from Selsey to Bognor.

* Desert Island Discs theme music

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6177 on: 30 May, 2022, 03:43:36 pm »
That in the 1938 Old Trafford Ashes test match, which because of rain was abandoned without a ball being bowled, one of the umpires was A Dolphin.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6178 on: 30 May, 2022, 03:46:08 pm »
... and that matches in that series were scheduled to last 4 days, except the last one, which was a 'timeless' test, but which was nevertheless concluded in 4 days.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6179 on: 30 May, 2022, 07:00:25 pm »
From the sound of it somewhere furry boots are needed to prevent one’s toes from turning blue and falling off.

Edit: if it’s any consolation it's raining in East Londonton too, but fortunately didn’t start until after I'd ridden back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.

I'll just note that the temperature on the Scottish border as we passed through yesterday at around 10:30 was 4 and one half of your finest Celsius degrees.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6180 on: 30 May, 2022, 07:12:31 pm »

I'll just note that the temperature on the Scottish border as we passed through yesterday at around 10:30 was 4 and one half of your finest Celsius degrees.

Yes, the temperature profile on my 400k ABZ-EDI-ABZ the other day was fairly chilly.

Setting off at 6am, the air temperature was below 7 degrees and there was a bitingly cold wind. It did warm up after about 10am, but as the day grew old, the temperature went into terminal decline, falling steadily through the night.  It dropped below 10 degrees before sunset, and fell to 2 degrees overnight.

I was wearing all my kit by this point: Winter-weight longs, merino thermal, two winter-weight tops, and a full waterproof to keep the wind off me.
(I'd planned a drop-bag in Edinburgh and changed into the overnight kit there.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6181 on: 30 May, 2022, 07:35:17 pm »

"We have two seasons here; Winter and August" by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

September 1st, Chicken AK :D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6182 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:35:49 pm »
Today I are learning that there is a band called Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, who clearly merit further investigation.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6183 on: 31 May, 2022, 11:01:18 pm »
Today I are learning that there is a band called Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, who clearly merit further investigation.
Wasn't he the bloke that crashed his ship, and several others, into the Isles of Scilly in Thee Olden Days?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6184 on: 01 June, 2022, 12:19:43 am »
Wasn't he the bloke that crashed his ship, and several others, into the Isles of Scilly in Thee Olden Days?

He was, in 1707.  Aiming for Portsmouth, but missed.  That was where I knew the name from.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6185 on: 01 June, 2022, 07:39:08 am »

He was, in 1707.  Aiming for Portsmouth, but missed.  That was where I knew the name from.

I remember him from one of Addison's essays:

"Sir Cloudesley Shovel's monument has very often given me great offence: instead of the plain rough English Admiral which was the distinguishing character of that plain gallant man, he is represented on his tomb by the figure of a beau, dressed in a long periwig, and reposing himself upon velvet cushions under a canopy of state. The inscription is answerable to the monument; for instead of celebrating the many remarkable actions he had performed in the service of his country, it acquaints us only with the manner of his death, in which it is impossible for him to reap any honour."
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6186 on: 01 June, 2022, 08:07:41 am »
Quote from: Mr Larrington
Quote from: Tim Hall

And, *if* I remember the relevant passage in Dava Sobell's, "Longitude" correctly, a posthumous candidate for the super twat thread.  Having been most respectfully been advised by a lower deck oik that he was in danger of running the fleet onto the rocks he ignored said advice and (increasingly unreliable memory says) had the oik flogged (or hanged) for breaching a regulation prohibiting lower deck oiks from reckoning the ship's postion.  He then ran the fleet into the rocks.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6187 on: 01 June, 2022, 08:45:29 am »
I have learnt that there is a district of Toronto yklept with the wonderful name Cabbagetown.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6188 on: 01 June, 2022, 09:27:23 am »
I have learnt that there is a district of Toronto yklept with the wonderful name Cabbagetown.

There's on near us called Krautwiller, which comes to much the same thing.  Kraut may also mean herb, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6189 on: 01 June, 2022, 09:36:33 am »
Quote from: Tim Hall

And, *if* I remember the relevant passage in Dava Sobell's, "Longitude" correctly, a posthumous candidate for the super twat thread.  Having been most respectfully been advised by a lower deck oik that he was in danger of running the fleet onto the rocks he ignored said advice and (increasingly unreliable memory says) had the oik flogged (or hanged) for breaching a regulation prohibiting lower deck oiks from reckoning the ship's postion.  He then ran the fleet into the rocks.

You do.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6190 on: 01 June, 2022, 11:27:13 am »
It transpires that Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell are a stoner met'l band from Hastings so I shall require Miss von Brandenburg to check them out once she’s moved down there, subject to surveys and Plague obv.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6191 on: 07 June, 2022, 04:10:17 pm »
That Tiananmen Square tank man didn't get run over. In my memory the tank tried to swerve round him but failed and squashed him. In fact it seems it stopped, he climbed on top and tried to get in, and then was dragged away by soldiers coming out of the hatches. Possibly it got mixed up in my memory with another incident, possibly just wrong!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6192 on: 08 June, 2022, 06:46:31 pm »
Today I are learning that if you RTFM of your Zippo lighter and trim the manky charred bits off the end of the wick it will burn Poundland lighter fuel just as readily as the pukka high-octane Zippo stuff at three times the price.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6193 on: 08 June, 2022, 06:49:13 pm »
Not today, but yesterday.
It's surprisingly difficult trying to paint a fence while being attacked by a fence adjacent shrubbery.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6194 on: 08 June, 2022, 09:49:34 pm »
After reading the Div thread and having my linguistic (Scottish division)  curiosity tweaked, what a dwang is.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6195 on: 08 June, 2022, 10:56:29 pm »
A dwang is a thing I've googled at least three times as a result of this place and forgotten by the next time it appears. Maybe this time it'll stick.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6196 on: 08 June, 2022, 11:01:58 pm »
I am disappointed to learn that “dwang” is not actually anything smutty.

Edit: except for viewers in Swindon, obv.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #6197 on: 09 June, 2022, 11:17:44 am »
I worked with a fellow architectural technician who hailed from Oban, and he always annotated his drawings using Scots terminology, mainly to wind up our manager, who was a prick of the first order.  It was rife with dwangs, ingoes and halfits.
Wombat

« Reply #6198 on: 09 June, 2022, 11:57:20 am »
That the UK agent for Exped (and several others) is Lyon Equipment based in Penrith. Most helpful.
https://www.lyon.co.uk/contact-lyon-equipment-ltd
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6199 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:40:48 pm »
The difference between a meteorite and a meteoroid (and that there was such a word as meteoroid).

And, yesterday, that the word "isochronous" actually does exist. I don't think it would translate well for our Japanese colleagues.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)