Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864391 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6850 on: 14 May, 2023, 11:42:18 am »
In Pompey din is an insult.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6851 on: 15 May, 2023, 07:35:09 pm »
Today I are learning that following a not terribly successful career in Formula 1 in the 1970s, driver and professional descendant Rikky von Opel moved to Thailand and became a Buddhist monk.  He's apparently still at it too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6852 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:13:31 am »
In Pompey din is an insult.

Wonder where that originated.  I did look it up but got sick of cookie dialogues before finding out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6853 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:59:12 am »
Din and dinny are from dinlo which, I think, is Romany for idiot.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6854 on: 16 May, 2023, 12:01:46 pm »
What bee poo looks like.

HT: Auntie Helen

« Reply #6855 on: 16 May, 2023, 02:01:41 pm »
Today I are learning that following a not terribly successful career in Formula 1 in the 1970s, driver and professional descendant Rikky von Opel moved to Thailand and became a Buddhist monk.  He's apparently still at it too.
One of our clients is Georg von Opel, second cousin of the aforementioned Rikky, and great-grandson of the großer Käse Adam Opel.

« Reply #6856 on: 16 May, 2023, 03:34:16 pm »
I realised yesterday that I had not fully understood the meaning of the word normative.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6857 on: 16 May, 2023, 03:51:08 pm »
What bee poo looks like.

HT: Auntie Helen
And I have learned, after washing the car, how quickly 4 beehives’ worth of bees can cover a car with poop in 2 hours.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6858 on: 16 May, 2023, 03:59:26 pm »
It's not poop, it's honey by-product!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6859 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:00:22 pm »
According to Wikipedia:

Rotherham United's supporters hold the record for the most pies consumed at a football match, with a consumption 40% above the Football League average.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #6860 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:01:55 pm »
According to Wikipedia:

Rotherham United's supporters hold the record for the most pies consumed at a football match, with a consumption 40% above the Football League average.

I'm only disappointed to learn that there's a data team analysing this kind of thing and it's not mine.

« Reply #6861 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:17:59 pm »
They even have a DIN standard for English1.

They certainly do in Portsmouth.

At school we had to do cadets, so we were sent to Portsmouth for a training camp, where we heard the the proper way to say block and tackle for the first time. However being young, rather than accepting the navy had a specific way of saying "tackle", we just assumed everyone from Portsmouth were a little slow and a very specific speech impediment

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6862 on: 23 May, 2023, 03:23:28 pm »
A few days ago, I had lunch in a little cafe inside a chapel built by/for John Wesley in the early 18th century. In fact, part of it is still used as a Methodist chapel now. There was also a little bookshop there, so naturally I had a browse. I spotted a pamphlet reprinting Wesley's treatise on tea. I expected this to be along the lines of "alcohol is evil, so let's encourage people to drink tea instead". But no! It turns out Wesley viewed tea as being at least as bad for you, physically, morally and socially, as alcohol.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6863 on: 23 May, 2023, 06:29:07 pm »

At school we had to do cadets, so we were sent to Portsmouth for a training camp, where we heard the the proper way to say block and tackle for the first time. However being young, rather than accepting the navy had a specific way of saying "tackle", we just assumed everyone from Portsmouth were a little slow and a very specific speech impediment

Both those things seem equally probable to me.  Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the former were a consequence of the latter.

Anyway, for the benefit of those with limited experience of Portsmouth[1] (or for that matter, the Navy), what's the specific way of saying "tackle"?

[1] It took me several years of reading this forum to work out what a Pompey was[2].
[2] Which by rights should be some sort of Roman fixed-wheel bike, but seemed to be a sportsball thing, except when it wasn't.

« Reply #6864 on: 24 May, 2023, 01:06:50 pm »

Both those things seem equally probable to me.  Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the former were a consequence of the latter.

Anyway, for the benefit of those with limited experience of Portsmouth[1] (or for that matter, the Navy), what's the specific way of saying "tackle"?

[1] It took me several years of reading this forum to work out what a Pompey was[2].
[2] Which by rights should be some sort of Roman fixed-wheel bike, but seemed to be a sportsball thing, except when it wasn't.

I think that it's pronounced "taykle".

However, that may be an old, generic, seadogs' thing (I read it in an article on traditional sailing boat rigging).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6865 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:06:50 pm »

I think that it's pronounced "taykle".

However, that may be an old, generic, seadogs' thing (I read it in an article on traditional sailing boat rigging).

My dad, an old generic armchair sea-dog, always insisted it was taykle.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6866 on: 25 May, 2023, 08:36:24 pm »
Today I are learning that Gary Lineker is three years older than Nigel Farage.  The obvious conclusion to be drawn from this is “eat MOAR crisps”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6867 on: 25 May, 2023, 08:55:12 pm »
My thing wot I learned is that the Hifi shop sketch off of TV's Not The Nine O'Clock News first saw life on The Burkiss Way, a sketch show on The Home Service Radio 4 in 1977.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #6868 on: 25 May, 2023, 09:04:25 pm »
My thing wot I learned is that the Hifi shop sketch off of TV's Not The Nine O'Clock News first saw life on The Burkiss Way, a sketch show on The Home Service Radio 4 in 1977.

'Twas on the wireless this evening.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6869 on: 26 May, 2023, 07:18:51 am »

'Twas on the wireless this evening.
Also earlier in the day, when I heard it, which prompted some frantic googling.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6870 on: 27 May, 2023, 04:59:10 pm »
How to use a smartwatch to obtain multichannel electrocardiograms.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2770022

« Reply #6871 on: 27 May, 2023, 07:25:49 pm »
That Shropshire Blue cheese isn’t an “old” cheese, it was invented (FCVO invented) in the 1970’s, and that that invention was most likely in Inverness, but “Inverness-shire Blue” didn’t cut it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6872 on: 27 May, 2023, 09:01:27 pm »

That's quite clever, though I had to look up what a "digital crown" was.  It turns out that the general purpose twiddle-knob on the latest Mega-Global Fruit Co watches also serves as an electrode (the other being the back of the watch) for single-channel ECG purposes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6873 on: 28 May, 2023, 08:03:02 am »

That's quite clever, though I had to look up what a "digital crown" was.  It turns out that the general purpose twiddle-knob on the latest Mega-Global Fruit Co watches also serves as an electrode (the other being the back of the watch) for single-channel ECG purposes.

On my Withings it's the bezel, ditto El Prez's 36€ chinesium knock-off.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6874 on: 30 May, 2023, 07:40:40 am »
That the National Trust Car Park near Beachy Head now has a "Drop-off point"  ;D

(Unashamedly by courtesy of one of my daily reads, Diamond Geezer)