Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864013 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7000 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:14:20 pm »
That the Cutthroat Bridge at Ladybower Reservoir really does relate to a 17th century baggage train robbery and cutthroat murder. More recently the bridge has also been involved a decapitation murder and the Def Leppard Drummer Rick Allen losing an arm in a car crash.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7001 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:26:21 pm »
Chatting to a seal warden today... I learnt -
- That the marine animals called seals, carry natural anti-coagulant so if they bite a dog, the dog could bleed to death without attention by a vet.
- That Renault have a problem making wheels now, and new cars needing replacement wheels, face a wait of at least a few weeks.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #7002 on: 15 August, 2023, 08:55:34 pm »
I learnt about Ann Moores of Tutbury who didn't eat anything between 1807 and 1813, apparently.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7003 on: 16 August, 2023, 11:08:06 am »
That the Cutthroat Bridge at Ladybower Reservoir really does relate to a 17th century baggage train robbery and cutthroat murder. More recently the bridge has also been involved a decapitation murder and the Def Leppard Drummer Rick Allen losing an arm in a car crash.

Have you been attending the BBC school of collision reporting? Saying the bridge was "involved" makes it sound like its role was not entirely passive. Which strikes me as unlikely.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7004 on: 16 August, 2023, 11:20:18 am »
I learnt about Ann Moores of Tutbury who didn't eat anything between 1807 and 1813, apparently.

Died in 1806?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7005 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:14:57 pm »

Have you been attending the BBC school of collision reporting? Saying the bridge was "involved" makes it sound like its role was not entirely passive. Which strikes me as unlikely.

<Visions of needlessly-AI-controlled swing bridge having a go.>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7006 on: 16 August, 2023, 02:12:20 pm »
It goes on. See the Hanging bridge of Mayfield. The bridge may or may not have been involved.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7007 on: 22 August, 2023, 11:48:55 am »
Today I are learning that Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Dayton still have trolley buses, as does Vancouver BC.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7008 on: 22 August, 2023, 07:46:46 pm »
That Victor Kiam, who liked the Remington shaver his wife bought for him so much that he bought the company, had the middle name of.......

Kermit.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7009 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:34:50 pm »
That Victor Kiam, who liked the Remington shaver his wife bought for him so much that he bought the company, had the middle name of.......

Kermit.
Delving into the Kermit rabbit hole, I found Kermit Love, who was a puppeteer and worked on Sesame Street and The Muppets. However, Wikipedia says
Despite the coincidence of names, Kermit Love first met Jim Henson after the 1955 creation and naming of Kermit the Frog.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7010 on: 23 August, 2023, 10:18:35 pm »

Kermit.
Delving into the Kermit rabbit hole, I found Kermit Love, who was a puppeteer and worked on Sesame Street and The Muppets. However, Wikipedia says
Despite the coincidence of names, Kermit Love first met Jim Henson after the 1955 creation and naming of Kermit the Frog.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4398.0

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7011 on: 27 August, 2023, 12:06:07 am »
Half of USAnian street lights are in car parks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7012 on: 27 August, 2023, 07:33:49 am »
- That the marine animals called seals, carry natural anti-coagulant so if they bite a dog, the dog could bleed to death without attention by a vet.
- That Renault have a problem making wheels now, and new cars needing replacement wheels, face a wait of at least a few weeks.

Seems not just Renault, looking at replacing our VW ID4, we can have one with alloys now, 2.5k extra. Steel wheels, wait until January
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7013 on: 28 August, 2023, 11:04:50 am »
The 19th-century gentlemen's code of duelling forbade the use of rifling in duelling pistols, so not-quite-gentlemen would use illegal instruments to inscribe spiral scratches in the barrel in hope of making wad and ball spin.  Other cads and rotters would order their pistols with partial rifling that stopped short of the last inch or so of the muzzle.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7014 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:56:54 am »
That some early adherents of Rastafarianism, in the 1930s, believed not only Ethiopia but Israel and, more puzzlingly, Saudi Arabia, to be the Promised Land. Saudi Arabia was at this time still legally (by Saudi law) importing slaves from, among other places, Ethiopia. (They outlawed this in 1961 and banned slavery the following year.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7015 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:41:06 pm »

Seems not just Renault, looking at replacing our VW ID4, we can have one with alloys now, 2.5k extra. Steel wheels, wait until January

Blimey!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7016 on: 30 August, 2023, 09:16:02 pm »
That LOGO style turtle graphics are a standard feature in Python: https://docs.python.org/3/library/turtle.html

Takes me back to the heady days of RM Nimbuses and Bloody Thatcher.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7017 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:42:13 pm »
I knew that the Dastardly French refer to an adjustable spanner as an English Key (in French thobut, obvs). My Thing I Learned Today was that Romanian for adjustable spanner is French Key (in Romanian thobut, obvs).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7018 on: 01 September, 2023, 09:15:30 pm »
My GerMan says an adjustable spanner is called an Engländer in German too.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7019 on: 01 September, 2023, 09:25:54 pm »
Depends if its an metric or imperial adjuster...

« Reply #7020 on: 04 September, 2023, 08:07:59 pm »
Learned that the Tour passes by the campsite we are on, while we are staying on it. Nice one!

« Reply #7021 on: 05 September, 2023, 11:25:29 am »
 That the word "balti" is Bengali for bucket; specifically one kept in a toilet for arse washing.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7022 on: 05 September, 2023, 11:38:00 am »
According to wiki (I have no recent experience), Swan Vesta* matches are safety matches these days.  It's health and safty gorn mad.

*following an answer in the Guardian Saturday quiz.

« Reply #7023 on: 05 September, 2023, 11:58:06 am »
According to wiki (I have no recent experience), Swan Vesta* matches are safety matches these days.  It's health and safty gorn mad.

*following an answer in the Guardian Saturday quiz.
That's criminal.
Whoever thought of that deserves a custodial sentence.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7024 on: 05 September, 2023, 05:08:45 pm »
My GerMan says an adjustable spanner is called an Engländer in German too.

A German colleague of mine once told me that Scots, Welsh, English and Norn Erse were all Engländer as far as Germany was concerned. He was a bit of a shithead though.