Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864456 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7250 on: 31 December, 2023, 09:13:16 pm »
The father of the founder of Scouting Robert Baden-Powell was called Baden Powell.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7251 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:53:10 am »
The father of the founder of Scouting Robert Baden-Powell was called Baden Powell.

Or Bathing-Towel by his contemporaries, according to that august 1957 authority the Eagle comic.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7252 on: 01 January, 2024, 10:01:52 am »
During the Great Statue Panic of June 2020, I saw with some considerable amusement, that a small platoon of thumbheads had taken it upon themselves to guard the statue of Baden-Powell in Poole Harbour lest it be toppled by those anarchists keen on "destroying are history"*.

One of the people interviewed was somebody I recognised and have met, who is worth idly googling if you want to see how weird some of these people are. Her name is Viv Endecott, and she ran a little gift shop in Corfe Castle called the Ginger Pop Shop

*statues aren't history, but never mind

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7253 on: 01 January, 2024, 12:30:24 pm »
Could’ve been aRe HeRiTiJ.  Gam-gams are very keen on heritages and keep putting the Tufton Street Irregulars up for election to the high offices of the National Trust to stop the tofu-munching Wokerati from deheritaging us.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7254 on: 01 January, 2024, 07:18:42 pm »
Today I are mostly learning that while Iceland has many crime writers it has only one forensic pathologist.  Consequently said pathologist decided to hold a seminar to bring the crime writers up to speed instead of bothering him all the time.  It sold out, obliging him to hold another.  Which also sold out.
Well. This needs further investigation ...
Findings so far:

The island nation of Iceland, which has a population of just over 300,000, has more writers per head of population than any country on Earth. Astonishingly, over the course of their lifetime, one in 10 Icelanders will publish a book. The country has a high literacy rate and a small population, which may contribute to a relatively high number of authors per capita. Additionally, there is a strong culture of reading and writing in Iceland, and the country has produced many internationally acclaimed authors, further fostering a literary tradition.
/END
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7255 on: 01 January, 2024, 07:31:01 pm »
There's only 300 000 of them 'cos they're all busy killing each other utterly to deth if you believe their crime literature.

« Reply #7256 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:43:19 pm »
There's only 300 000 of them 'cos they're all busy killing each other utterly to deth if you believe their crime literature.

Or rather, there's only 300,000 of them because they spend the long arctic winter writing crime fiction instead of making' whoopie. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7257 on: 06 January, 2024, 10:58:01 pm »
That most calls from BT cashless phone boxes can currently be made free of charge. This is because the debit/credit card service which BT had outsourced collections to, BBG Global, went bust during lockdown as a result of no one making calls from airports etc. This only applies to BT not New World phones, it's current as of May 2023 and I haven't tested it, so "caveat dicentis". (Translation by google, of course)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7258 on: 16 January, 2024, 12:25:51 pm »
That there's tiny writing near the edge of a pound coin. I can't see it other than using optical assistance (much more than my varifocals can offer). Like this. I reckon the letters are about 0.25 - 0.3 mm high

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7259 on: 16 January, 2024, 12:51:27 pm »
An anti-forgery device?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #7261 on: 16 January, 2024, 01:04:37 pm »
Or anti-clipping perhaps.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7262 on: 16 January, 2024, 01:26:16 pm »
During the Great Statue Panic of June 2020, I saw with some considerable amusement, that a small platoon of thumbheads had taken it upon themselves to guard the statue of Baden-Powell in Poole Harbour lest it be toppled by those anarchists keen on "destroying are history"*.

One of the people interviewed was somebody I recognised and have met, who is worth idly googling if you want to see how weird some of these people are. Her name is Viv Endecott, and she ran a little gift shop in Corfe Castle called the Ginger Pop Shop

*statues aren't history, but never mind

Wasn't she the golliwog woman?  The one who wasn't from the pub in Grays...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #7263 on: 16 January, 2024, 01:27:36 pm »

Or rather, there's only 300,000 of them because they spend the long arctic winter writing crime fiction instead of making' whoopie. :demon:

We're thinking about a trip to Iceland next month...

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7264 on: 16 January, 2024, 02:49:05 pm »
An anti-forgery device?

That's what I assumed.

PS and that's what the Royal Mint says
https://www.royalmint.com/new-pound-coin/#:~:text=Micro%2Dlettering%20%E2%80%93%20it%20has%20very,%E2%80%9D%20side%2C%20for%20example%202017.
On that page I noticed the artist's initials below the Queen's portrait. J.C. Queen's head by Jeremy Corbyn?

Regulator

« Reply #7265 on: 16 January, 2024, 03:29:42 pm »
An anti-forgery device?

That's what I assumed.

PS and that's what the Royal Mint says
https://www.royalmint.com/new-pound-coin/#:~:text=Micro%2Dlettering%20%E2%80%93%20it%20has%20very,%E2%80%9D%20side%2C%20for%20example%202017.
On that page I noticed the artist's initials below the Queen's portrait. J.C. Queen's head by Jeremy Corbyn?

Most of the coins circulating have one of two portraits of the Queen.  From 1998 to 2012 by Ian Rank-Broadley and from 2012 by Jody Clark.

Pre-1998 coins carry portraits by Raphael Maklouf*, Arnold Machin and Mary Gillick (Mary was the first to do the Queen's portrait for coins).

Mary and Ernest Gillick were friends of my paternal grandmother and encouraged my father to pursue art (which he ended up teaching).  We have several of Mary's pieces in the family.

*Maklouf did the Stations of the Cross in 'Thomas, by the Grace of God's carbuncle in Brentwood.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7266 on: 16 January, 2024, 06:12:43 pm »
Per R4 today, I learned a red kangaroo has 3 vaginas.

(didn’t even crack a joke…)

ian

« Reply #7267 on: 16 January, 2024, 09:35:20 pm »
I thought female marsupials have two vaginas (and two uteruses) to cater for the male's double penis (they only fire, erm, one barrel at a time, no sense blowing the bloody doors off).

However, let me present the echidna with a four-headed spectacular, a sort of coital Gatling gun. The platypus disappoints with two, but wait for it ladies, keratinous spines. Apparently, no one has ever seen a platypus erection, but really who have they been asking. I think a lady platypus might have.

« Reply #7268 on: 17 January, 2024, 09:10:13 am »
I thought female marsupials have two vaginas (and two uteruses) to cater for the male's double penis (they only fire, erm, one barrel at a time, no sense blowing the bloody doors off).

However, let me present the echidna with a four-headed spectacular, a sort of coital Gatling gun. The platypus disappoints with two, but wait for it ladies, keratinous spines. Apparently, no one has ever seen a platypus erection, but really who have they been asking. I think a lady platypus might have.

My life is complete.

« Reply #7269 on: 17 January, 2024, 09:25:53 am »
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #7270 on: 20 January, 2024, 05:47:25 pm »
New to me:

“Depauperate”:

Of a flora, fauna, or ecosystem: lacking in numbers or variety of species.

Of a plant or animal: imperfectly developed.

Context: discussion of the environment in NI.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7271 on: 21 January, 2024, 01:22:32 am »

« Reply #7272 on: 21 January, 2024, 11:19:41 am »
28 persistent myths about naked mole rat biology

ObligLehrerQuote: "This may prove useful to some of you some day, perhaps, in a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances."
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7273 on: 21 January, 2024, 01:26:11 pm »
The differences between taro, cassava, yams and kumara. Maybe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7274 on: 21 January, 2024, 04:37:58 pm »
Yet another way that USAnians came up with to do rascism...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town