Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864071 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7325 on: 14 February, 2024, 11:28:39 pm »
@rafletcher is correct.  'Dry needling' = acupuncture for all intents and purposes.  Medics tend to prefer to refer to 'dry needling' (or sometimes call it 'muscular stimulation') as they think it sounds more scientific.  Some try to claim that its different from acupuncture because it's about myofascial trigger points rather than 'energy'... but the reality is the clinical evidence for dry-needling is similar to that for acupuncture (in fact there's probably more evidence for acupuncture) and no real explanation of if/how/why it works.

As @barakta said, the failure the obtain informed consent is a big no-no.  I'd not go near that physio again and I'd make a complaint.  If this was done via health insurance, I'd let the insurers know - they're very hot on this at the moment.

For me it definitely did not work - still in discomfort from the "treatment" 6 days later.

I did complain, and I assume that the fact they are no longer getting my custom will make them reconsider their enthusiasm for the technique on future self funded (not insured) patients.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #7326 on: 20 February, 2024, 09:56:44 am »
Archeologists dug up a skeleton buried near a Roman farmstead in Cambridgeshire. Analysis of the bones and teeth suggest that this person died between 126 and 228 C.E. and that he came from the region between the Black and Caspian Seas...
Article here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982223016342 (it is a little technical, but most of the difficult stuff is the science and statistics behind what they discovered)
From this interesting Guardian Long Read (which contains lots of other intriguing-looking links): https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/feb/20/solar-storms-ice-cores-and-nuns-teeth-inside-the-new-science-of-history

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7327 on: 20 February, 2024, 10:18:58 am »
Comin' over 'ere…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7328 on: 20 February, 2024, 07:16:04 pm »
Takin' are graves ...

« Reply #7329 on: 20 February, 2024, 07:46:23 pm »
Recent finds around Cambridgeshire point to some of these farming sites being feeding stations for the Roman Army. For example, finds in and around Fenstanton (which included a crucified local) indicates that bones were being crushed on an industrial scale for marrow extraction purposes
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7332 on: 21 February, 2024, 09:01:33 am »
St Mary the Virgin, Shepperdine
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NFozRVVDxeULXkJQ9
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7333 on: 21 February, 2024, 09:21:57 am »
St Peters, Littlebury Green, Essex: https://www.camvillages.org.uk/Groups/321995/St_Peter_s.aspx

An info control on my ACME Tourdax 1 2023. The 'stained glass' is simply printed onto the panes.

« Reply #7334 on: 21 February, 2024, 06:02:54 pm »
That suburbian is a word, as in:

World's longest-distance drone delivery service makes shopping more exclusive in Norway

Delivery services for locals and tourists in the opulent Norwegian ski resort town of Lillehammer just got a lot more exclusive.

The suburbians can order deliveries through the company’s Kyte app and can order about 1.5kg worth of goods such as medicine, groceries, and meals from independent restaurants. They can expect an average delivery time of 24 minutes.

Move Faster and Bake Things

sam

« Reply #7335 on: 22 February, 2024, 03:00:58 am »
World's longest-distance drone delivery service makes shopping more exclusive in Norway

As the competition for delivery services like Uber Eats and Deliveroo heats up on the ground, there is still an uphill battle of legal restrictions and airspace limitations for drone delivery systems. But Aviant has regulatory approval to operate in EU airspace in Lillehammer.

Aviant's man on the ground:
https://youtu.be/iGvZAJfBk_4

« Reply #7336 on: 22 February, 2024, 04:07:13 pm »
That Waitrose Essentials fine cut Seville Orange Marmalade is rather good.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7337 on: 23 February, 2024, 12:00:40 am »
Today I are mostly learning that the bike shed at St. Catherine's College Oxford is a Grade-I Listed Building in its own right :o

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7338 on: 23 February, 2024, 12:08:24 am »
Today I are mostly learning that the bike shed at St. Catherine's College Oxford is a Grade-I Listed Building in its own right :o

Is that 'cos it's got an abandoned original Kryptonite u-lock fixed on one of its Sheffield stands?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7340 on: 23 February, 2024, 10:03:59 am »
You can check out any time you like...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7341 on: 23 February, 2024, 10:20:29 am »

Is that 'cos it's got an abandoned original Kryptonite u-lock fixed on one of its Sheffield stands?
Or is it because Benazir Bhutto and Peter Mandelson (both born 1953 but I can't find their attendance dates) had a snog there?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7342 on: 23 February, 2024, 12:43:04 pm »
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7343 on: 23 February, 2024, 03:52:42 pm »

Or is it because Benazir Bhutto and Peter Mandelson (both born 1953 but I can't find their attendance dates) had a snog there?

Professor Larrington did her BA there too, but she's younger than Bhutto and Voldemort.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7344 on: 27 February, 2024, 10:39:29 pm »
It turns out the stylus for my work laptop is powered by an AAAA battery. I never knew such things existed before today.

Second thing what I have learned today is that while a) I like pomegranate and b) I like IPA, c) I do NOT like pomegranate IPA.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #7345 on: 03 March, 2024, 12:41:19 pm »
That you can get Greta Thunberg full size cardboard cutouts . They cost between 35 and 45 quid normally but there is one going free on Freecycle at the moment in TW9 , but be quick.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7346 on: 03 March, 2024, 08:16:51 pm »
A Shimano Nexus 1/8" chain is too wide for a Brompton, and rubs on the chain tensioner.  The SRAM  chain that came off was over 1mm narrower at the rivets!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7347 on: 04 March, 2024, 07:09:49 am »
Use an 8 speed chain.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7348 on: 04 March, 2024, 07:38:27 am »
Use an 8 speed chain.
Not on a 3 speed with a 1/8" sprocket!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7349 on: 04 March, 2024, 08:42:14 am »
The gruesome origin of the phrase Sweet Fanny Adams, and incidentally how it pertained to the slang name of army mess tins.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight