Author Topic: I got stopped by the Police!  (Read 4300 times)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
I got stopped by the Police!
« on: 19 May, 2008, 04:34:24 pm »
Certainly a rather interesting commute this morning...  ::-)

Almost halfway to school there is a mini roundabout. As I came up to it I saw a Police car parked on the verge, and a Policeman. I wondered for a moment whether there had been an accident, but then saw they were handing out leaflets. They were not 'WANTED, 14 year old girl, tall, brown hair, brown eyes, blue bike, yellow helmet' for me using the pavement on Friday when trying to negotiate a tricky junction at rush hour.

As the car in front of me stopped, I had three options, to stop, to crash into the car or bunnyhop over the Policeman's boots. I chose the first one.

"I won't give you a leaflet, but they're about not speeding, OK?" the Policeman told me, which is proabably a compliment if he thinks I could go fast enough to.  ;D

Personally though I think the leaflets were a waste of trees...  :-\

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: I got stopped by the Police!
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2008, 05:07:27 pm »
You should've gone for the bunnyhop option....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:28:21 pm »
I'm waiting to get stopped for only having one brake, but they've never bothered yet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:33:26 pm »
That's only because the young-uns can't spell brake.
It is simpler than it looks.

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:35:34 pm »
Furious cycling

37 mph in a 30 zone, they havent caught me yet, but I know they have pulled a chap on bike on the same hill before now

I cant wait to see the footage on police camera action when I am caught ::-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:41:36 pm »
I sometimes get flashed by the speed camera at the bottom of Cumnor Hill in Oxford.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:42:20 pm »
We got approached by an armed officer in Sweden, scared the crap out of me.  Turned out he was looking for an old lady who'd gone missing from a local home on her bicycle ::-)

alan

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:21:12 pm »
Furious cycling

37 mph in a 30 zone, they havent caught me yet, but I know they have pulled a chap on bike on the same hill before now

Which hill is that Z?

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:30:26 pm »
Furious cycling

"Furious cycling, officer? But can't you see I'm grinning like a loon?"  ;D :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
That's always been my intended response too spesh  :D

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:31:46 pm »
Furious cycling

Which hill is that Z?
Porthill bank, short but fast

Just pray that you have clear run over the D road roundabout or you will be leaving skid marks in two places

Have you tried the new link road from Wolstanton? its like a tiny bit of the alps in stoke, I rode down it one night before it opened, silky smooth new tarmac :)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »
I got stopped again today.  :)

alan

« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:08:25 pm »
Furious cycling

Which hill is that Z?
Porthill bank, short but fast

Just pray that you have clear run over the D road roundabout or you will be leaving skid marks in two places

Have you tried the new link road from Wolstanton? its like a tiny bit of the alps in stoke, I rode down it one night before it opened, silky smooth new tarmac :)

Not done the new Wolstanton link. I'll try it sometime soon.

Have you done Ashbank?If you  start at the top (by the detention centre) & catch a green light at the lights on Salter's Lane crossroads,youc an easily exceed the 40mph limit at the speed camera located at Eagles Nest ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:13:41 pm »
When: 20 or so years ago
Where: Castle Hill, Cambridge
Who: Me (a student back then), and a Pleeceman

More scene-setting: Cambridge has just the one contour line.  Castle Hill is a major student residential area, and all the teaching facilities are in the centre of town, at the bottom of the hill.

I was a-hurtling down the hill, across the lights (at green), and across Magdalene Bridge.  Pleeceman stepped out into the road about 50-80 yards away from me, looking straight at me, hand outstretched making the "STOP" gesture.

I continued at speed. Pleeceman remained in the "STOP" stance.  With some 8 yards to go, I "dropped the lot" (a railway term), and came to a dead stop less than a foot from the officer.

His hand dropped, and in a voice calmer than I bet he was feeling, he said "Your brakes work, Sir.  Thank you, you may continue.", he stepped out of the way, and waved me on.

So it was just a random check on students' bikes' brakes.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »
When: 20 or so years ago
Where: Castle Hill, Cambridge
Who: Me (a student back then), and a Pleeceman

More scene-setting: Cambridge has just the one contour line.  Castle Hill is a major student residential area, and all the teaching facilities are in the centre of town, at the bottom of the hill.

I was a-hurtling down the hill, across the lights (at green), and across Magdalene Bridge.  Pleeceman stepped out into the road about 50-80 yards away from me, looking straight at me, hand outstretched making the "STOP" gesture.

I continued at speed. Pleeceman remained in the "STOP" stance.  With some 8 yards to go, I "dropped the lot" (a railway term), and came to a dead stop less than a foot from the officer.

His hand dropped, and in a voice calmer than I bet he was feeling, he said "Your brakes work, Sir.  Thank you, you may continue.", he stepped out of the way, and waved me on.

So it was just a random check on students' bikes' brakes.

Seems rather desperate unless he had a death wish?

Now a days it would create an v. interesting conversation between your insurers if you had hit him and whether he contributed to the serious injuries he would have sustained.

« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:49:54 am »
I got stopped again today.  :)

What had you done this time?