Author Topic: A57 in Sheffield- anyone know it?  (Read 5573 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
A57 in Sheffield- anyone know it?
« on: 26 May, 2008, 10:10:01 am »
I'm heading up to the Peak District tomorrow for a few days cycle camping. On the way back, I want to visit some friends in Sheffield.  They live near the station on the east side of the city.  I can't see a way round using the A57 to get to them and then go south from what looks like a huge gyratory on the map  My friends are not cyclists and aren't really offering an constructive advice abut it's suitability for cycling.  I'm used to cycling in London traffic  but would appreciate a cyclists opinion. Anyone know the area?
   Jane

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Re: A57 in Sheffield- anyone know it?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:55:48 am »
I went to Uni in Sheffield. The A57 is a great cyclist road if you want something quite hard, it depends where you are coming at it from. The climb from Glossop is a good one ;). You have to watch out on the A57 though, there are plenty of cars and impatient ones at that. Mind you I haven't been on it for about 10 years. Sheffield itself is like most cities, but watch out for the tram lines, don't get your wheels stuck in there.

I'm sure others can contribute more!!

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:47:39 am »
I went to Uni in Sheffield too (94-99). Yup, the A57 from Glossop is a fine road. (The A57 South of Sheffield is not, and I believe it may now ban cyclists from using it).

Traffic in the city centre isn't too bad; no worse than London anyway. And as SS says, just watch out for the tram lines.

Sheffield does have a nightmare one way system. If I wanted to get to the station from the A57 I'd probably turn off it in Broomhill down Glossop Road (wheee!). Turn right and down Broomspring Lane. Cross over Hanover Way at the crossing. Down Hanover Way, Moore St, Charter Row, Furnival Gate, Arundel Gate/High St/Commercial St to the gyratory.

That should keep you away from the tram lines too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vince

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:55:39 am »
Another one who studied at Sheffield. The A57 is wide enough, but the traffic is fast. It is scenic late evening or early morning, but not much fun otherwise. Are you sure there is no other way? There are lots of very minor roads around there.

As the others have said, beware of the tram lines and I would say that the students don't cycle much so the car drivers are a little dozier than usual.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2008, 01:39:27 pm »
Another one who studied at Sheffield. The A57 is wide enough, but the traffic is fast. It is scenic late evening or early morning, but not much fun otherwise. Are you sure there is no other way? There are lots of very minor roads around there.

I'm intending to pick up the road at the Ladybower reservoir- I hadn't been intending to take it all the way from Glossop.  I just wondered what it was like in its city road mode.  I had planned to take the minor road through Edale then go up to the Derwent Valley then back down and pick up the A57 all the way through the city to Norfolk Park where my friends live.
     Jane

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2008, 02:15:46 pm »
I cycle this area frequently.
I would recommend the road through Edale - it is one of my favourites - quiet and scenic. Jacobs ladder at the western end up to Mam Tor is a nice climb.
Personaly, if I were traveling east from Edale to Norfolk Park, I would steer clear of the A57 east of Ladybower. From Hope (bottom of Edale) I would go via Hathersage, and the A6187. Half way up the hill from Hathersage, bear left and climb past Cam Height - much nicer road than the A57. Then it is a long fast descent into Sheffield along the Ringinglow road. At the bottom go left at the T on the Eccleshall road (A625). About 1k further down the hill there are some traffic lights, keep straight on onto Psalter Lane (do not follow the Eccleshall road/ down to the left). Keep going straight on at the next lights to the small roundabout, take 2nd left into Cemetery Road. Down Cemetry road to the bottom, right and then left into Boston Street. right and left onto Sheldon Street. Across Bramhall lane into Clough Road and then down to cross the Queens Road at the bottom onto Duchess Road and you will be on the edge of Norfolk Park. HERE is a map of the route if you are interested.

You can follow the A6187 all the way up to surprise view and to the A625 if you want but I think the smaller road described is far nicer and much less busy.
FWIW, the Eccleshall road, Psalter lane section was used in the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago.

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2008, 02:41:43 pm »
I'm a Sheffielder born and bred and used to live just off the A57 in Broomhill (and I go there often, my mum is still in residence). I would strongly agree with Pieter about not using the A57 through town - you'll be on the main road through the city from the west to the east, which turns into the feed route for the M1 just out of the city centre. Also, you'll have the trams to contend with down Glossop Road.

His route looks elegant in its simplicity, and would be my choice for crossing the city! Although I'll be shouted down for this, Vince is right in that it isn't a hugely popular cycling city (mainly historically because the bus service was very good and very very cheap) and because it's so hilly. Committed cyclists, yes, more leisurely cyclists, no, so the car drivers aren't really expecting cyclists and don't always show respect. The cycling I've done there relatively recently hasn't been totally pleasant!

Good luck!

Sara

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »
I also studied in Sheffield! It was a long time ago though (1976-82).

I think the A57 (Sheffield Parkway) east of the city centre has been banned to cyclists as long as I can remember. West of the city it is a long climb, which used to sap my strength.

I think the tram now goes on Hanover Way.
AFAIK, the place where Broomspring Lane crosses the Ring Road is pictured in 'Crap Cycle Lanes'.

Broomspring Lane was a useful route for cyclists, from the town centre to studentland, but the ring road now has guard rails at the edge of the footway and, I think a high fence on the central reservation.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2008, 03:01:50 pm »

HERE is a map of the route if you are interested.

You can follow the A6187 all the way up to surprise view and to the A625 if you want but I think the smaller road described is far nicer and much less busy.
FWIW, the Eccleshall road, Psalter lane section was used in the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago.

Thanks so much for the route , just what I need.  And thanks to everyone else for all their advice too.
     Jane

« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »
as this is turning into an "i studied in sheffield" thread, i was at the uni there from '89-92.

not a cyclist then, so i can't be of much assistance to the op ::-)
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

vince

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »
A definite vote for PDM's route - but be warned, the poor chap has lost all sense of inclines over the years. Best to sort out your granny gears!

;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:28:23 pm »
You are warned that the lanes on Brook Hill Roundabout are SPIRAL @!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:14:29 pm »
A definite vote for PDM's route - but be warned, the poor chap has lost all sense of inclines over the years. Best to sort out your granny gears!

;)
Thanks for the endorsement, Vince. However, you can rest assured that there are no gratuitous inclines on the route I have given ;). The longest (and only) decent climb is up from Hathersage and that is only 270m total. Maximum gradient is about 8%, average ~5%.

Sheffield City contains a real hodgepodge of bankrupt ideas when it comes to cycle farcilities and I avoid most of them with a vengeance.
When I go out to the east of Sheffield (I live on the west side) I use either a route similar to the one described to join the City Road or a variation via Heeley and Mosborough. Sometimes, if I need to go Rotherham way, a more direct route through town and past MerryHell (Meadowhall) in the Don Valley is better.

Sheffield is a great city to cycle OUT of, especially to the western side with great swathes of countryside in the Dark and White Peak that are cycling heaven, especially if you like scenery.... The Dark Peak inclines are a little more severe, though.