Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460767 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1625 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:57:31 pm »
You boys can't seem to ever make an accurate assessment on Tarzan.  Its obvious he's taking a trip along the worlds whitest beaches. My bet is he's headed towards  P-Cola. 

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1626 on: 06 March, 2015, 11:10:48 pm »
I think he's just following the wind and staying cool  8)

http://youtu.be/_3XFs2r_99E

« Reply #1627 on: 07 March, 2015, 08:55:57 am »

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1628 on: 07 March, 2015, 11:55:50 am »

red marley

« Reply #1629 on: 07 March, 2015, 12:04:43 pm »
*tries to drag this thread away from Tune Association*

It was interesting to see Kurt in his interviews/videos being upfront about driving to where he has a wind advantage. Nothing wrong with that tactic within the rules, although personally I think there is something admirable about doing the whole thing minimising motor assistance.

Anyway, I thought I'd have a look at where and how far Kurt is using vehicle transfers. The chart below shows the motorised distances travelled within any riding day:

So far, that's a total of 207 miles (excluding that erroneous 6 mile section of vehicle transfer on the 26th Jan).

If you include transfers between days, the total is much higher at 1590 miles:

I guess his record so far shows he's probably got that tactic right if it's speed you are optimising, but a difficult one to get right balancing wind forecast, motor vehicle transfer times and tiredness.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1630 on: 07 March, 2015, 02:04:02 pm »
This will be costing him big time, let's say at least 40,000 miles of driving through the year and all the hotels, campsites and pizzas  :o
But we have no idea how far his travels will take him.
 Seems to be feeling the cold already even with his slight migration North.

« Reply #1631 on: 07 March, 2015, 02:24:50 pm »
Another interesting stat would be to see how much he has managed to ride with a following wind.

I think purely as a guess based on what I have seen on Strava that 90% of his rides follow one distinct direction with the benefit of a following wind.

This is the advantage of cycling in Florida and the US as a whole - you can generally ride 200 miles in any direction without running out of land.

You could do it North/South and vice versa in the UK but I think you'd be hard pressed to avoid a fair bit of climbing. Also our predominantly SW winds don't really work for this.

I don't want this to turn in to an argument about it not being in the spirit of things.

Kurt is riding within the rules and getting the best out of his situation. He really showed to me what a strong rider he is when he did the 12hr TT at Sebring which was a circular route.

ps GO FURTHER STEVE  :)

« Reply #1632 on: 07 March, 2015, 07:21:16 pm »
Tarzan skipped the beach road on the way to P-cola.  I believe this was a mistake as he will hit some bigger hills than riders expect to find in this area.  On second thought it being a weekend the beach road might not have been the best bet safety wise.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1633 on: 07 March, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »
In virtually all respects, they are only competing against one another in the eyes of the beholders on principally this, and possibly a few other forums. UMCA have stated that there will be 2 records - one for older buggers (Kurt) and one for youngsters (Steve). Since UMCA only ratified these rules at the end of last year, Tommy Godwin's record is outside their auspices, even though both Kurt and Steve talk about breaking his record. Tommy was in his mid-20s when he set the record, so under UMCA rules it's impossible for Kurt to break it!   ;D

So far as I understand it, UMCA have set up some rules and are open to claims for the HAMR and even if neither Steve nor Kurt manage >75065, each will be named as the record-holder in his age group.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1634 on: 07 March, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »
And I ask "whats wrong with a little competition?"  You do not understand the inner workings of UMCA.  They operate under the new world concept of everybody gets a trophy.  They make categories broad enough to ensure no ego is deflated.  I believe they will make up a category of persons born between August 23 and 26th riding a yellow bike if that is what it takes to cover everyone.  But do not be misled!  The rider riding the farthest number of miles will have beside his name an asterisk annotating   Overall HAMR record holder or some other way to crown the King. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1635 on: 07 March, 2015, 10:40:53 pm »
Oh, nothing wrong with competition. I was poking a little fun at UMCA.

On a more important matter, Kurt is now only about 15 miles from the Alabama border. He's still riding, and I reckon it's touch-and-go whether he makes the border by the end of the day.

*revisits his tracker page*

I think he will cross the border tonight.

« Reply #1636 on: 07 March, 2015, 10:59:13 pm »
I'll take that bet.  He is currently overlooking one of the whitest sandy beaches on the planet.  I bet he stays with friends in P-cola and rides the beach again tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1637 on: 07 March, 2015, 11:12:54 pm »
Pensacola - is that the Thinking Man's Diet Coke?

« Reply #1638 on: 07 March, 2015, 11:37:58 pm »

I think he will cross the border tonight.

My guess is that he'll end his day right on the border- at the Flora-Bama Bar.

« Reply #1639 on: 07 March, 2015, 11:55:42 pm »
Pensacola - is that the Thinking Man's Diet Coke?

Sum may cogito that, I couldn't possibly comment.

IGMC
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1640 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:01:21 am »
Tarzan's in Warrington. 'E's a Grand Lad and 'is moother loves him!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1641 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:19:19 am »
He seems to have left Pensacola behind him. Five miles to the state border...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1642 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:48:16 am »
He looks to have dropped anchor a whisker over the state line.  Presumably Alicia will drive him to the pub ;D

When I was in those parts in 2012 it rained like a fine day in Fort Bill and my car got infested with ants who stayed on board until I was west of the Rockies.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1643 on: 08 March, 2015, 02:09:57 am »
I'll take that bet.  He is currently overlooking one of the whitest sandy beaches on the planet.  I bet he stays with friends in P-cola and rides the beach again tomorrow.

:smug:

« Reply #1644 on: 08 March, 2015, 02:24:33 am »
Hmmm hate to ask but what did we bet anyway?   Just found out his bud in P-cola is in N.C.on business  :-[

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1645 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:34:40 am »
A 10 mile naked bike ride, wasn't it? With video evidence, under the auspices of UNCA*.  :D

Although that ought to be 20 because you bet based on inside information... :thumbsup:

*work it out for yourself.

« Reply #1646 on: 08 March, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »
Kurt seems to have picked a flat bit of road out at the end of Mobile Bay and decided to ride up and down it all day.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1647 on: 08 March, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »
Kurt is going to help me improve my geography of the USA no end. Next up on the scheme of work is the geography of Alabama. This is a bit more of a tricky state because it's almost in 3D, tho the highest point is still less than 750 m above sea level.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1648 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:23:03 pm »
And me. I'd never heard of Pensacola before yesterday. To my surprise, both Mrs. Wow and Dez had. I suppose it must have turned up on some trashy television programme.

Even knowing which states are adjacent to one anther is something I'd struggle with. I can sit down for a few minutes and usually list all the US states on the Sporcle quiz, but it's by no means 100%. Part of the problem is the rectolinear state boundaries. Some of the states (Florida, Texas, California) are pretty clear and obvious shapes, but the Dakotas? They are just random rectangles.

« Reply #1649 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »
I guess Kurt's biggest problem in Alabama is going to be avoiding drunk rednecks in massive pickup trucks  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!