Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460774 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #1925 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:31:29 am »
OK, wrong impression then. Still...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1926 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:51:57 am »
You are right in that it isn't a level playing field: it can't be because the two protagonists' approaches are so very different. Kurt definitely had the easier ride in Jan and Feb when he was benefitting from Florida's warmth and flatness. Steve is, I think, a much more rounded cyclist in that he has done a lot of many types - pottering, touring, audax, racing (he's done TTs and the Mersey Roads 24, plus no doubt quite a few other races I'm unaware of). Kurt has a considerably higher average speed but, apparently, "doesn't do sleep dep". Steve will, if necessary, spend 20 or more hours a day in the saddle. He knows how to do this. Kurt's support team (Alicia) isn't ever going to match Steve's team of helpers. But perhaps the most important difference is the sheer simplicity of Steve's approach. He doesn't need to make any decisions about where he's going to ride, other than on weather conditions on the day. The option - indeed, the need - of a transfer to a different part of the country just isn't there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1927 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:54:34 am »
They each have their own challenges.  And face the same epic challenge.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1928 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:56:57 am »
However you frame it, they still have to ride an average of more than 205 miles every day for a year. However they approach it that is a ridiculously hard thing to do. Allez Steve & Allez Tarzan!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1929 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:04:17 am »
Kurt does seem to have a lot of support, and a strategy of skipping from venue to venue. He also has a far wider choice of terrain and weather systems than Steve has. I wouldn't be surprised if a private jet whisked him off to California overnight.

Steve has to start from wherever he finished, with whatever support his friends can manage, and is subject to whatever the Atlantic cares to throw at him.

The playing field isn't exactly level.

Must admit I see no advantages or disadvantages in the approach of either - just different ways of looking at it.

Steve has the advantage [if that's the right word] of two years preparation. Remember a couple of years ago he took himself for the Christmas holiday to try out the new bike? Just him, the bike and some bleak weather. It largely went unnoticed. It was just another TG Christmas, out on his own cycling round the country. He's been planning this for at least two years, and in general terms much longer.

Kurt has come to the party late, mainly on the publication of the UMCA rules, spearheaded by Steve's enthusiasm to have a crack at the record. So Kurt's approach might look a bit more adhock.

Remember the tone of the posts here in January when Kurt was using a support van and the weather was beautiful in Florida and the weather was horrible and cold here? 'It's unfair', was the cry. No it isn't. It's just different. I think.
And this week? Are we still saying that?

At the end of the day, however you do it - you've got to cycle the miles yourself. The perception of advantage will ebb and flow over the course of the year. Steve will probably stick to his plan, because that's what plans are for, and Kurt will improvise a bit more as time goes on, because his plans are not so well formulated.

To get a perspective on country and terrain though - I asked the question the other day: if you transported Steve's attempt to the United States and replicated it exactly in terms of style, where would you most like to be situated? I didn't think the answer was obvious. There are many places over there that have extremes of weather, either hot or cold. The temptation to hop across States must be very appealing.

The more you look at where Steve lives, Milton Keynes, it's an ideal location. He hasn't got to spend ages getting out of town and he has access to reasonable [albeit a bit boring sometimes] terrain. And the extremes of weather over here are never like they can be in the USA. And there's always a 2 for 1 somewhere to be had  :)

I see the playing field as not level, just different. And, put them on the same track, they're both different kinds of riders anyway.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1930 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:48:29 am »
One aspect that intrigues me is the different mindset required to keep going.

Steve sets a target for the day and heads off, knowing that when he gets there he can stop.

With Kurt, and a following van with bed, there must always be the nagging thought that he can stop, if he wants, absolutely anywhere.

That must play on your mind towards the end of the day, whereas with Steve the mental torture must all be at the start of (yet) another enormous day.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1931 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:55:48 am »
However you frame it, they still have to ride an average of more than 205 miles every day for a year. However they approach it that is a ridiculously hard thing to do. Allez Steve & Allez Tarzan!

well said  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1932 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:11:19 am »
Of course, that average has climbed a bit: it's now just over 209mpd for Steve, >207 for Kurt.

I'm not sure if Steve will be getting any mental torture, tbh. I think he knows he has a job to do, and just does it. It would certainly take a good deal of mental fortitude for me to turn away from home after a day in the saddle just to reach a specific daily target, but I have done so on occasions. If I arrive home with 68 miles under my belt, for example, I'll go out for a 4 mile potter just to knock another ride off the Eddington Number.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1933 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:47:12 am »
If it's 2-for-1 you want then places such as Las Vegas, Reno or even Wendover NV will feed you, yea and verily, unto bursting for very little money.  There are, however, at least ten zillion good reasons for not going anywhere near such ghastly places.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1934 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:42:02 pm »
If it's 2-for-1 you want then places such as Las Vegas, Reno or even Wendover NV will feed you, yea and verily, unto bursting for very little money.  There are, however, at least ten zillion good reasons for not going anywhere near such ghastly places.

...not least their poor sausage provision record.

H

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1935 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »

Absolutely.

I sometimes wonder if I am the only person who reads some of the posts on here and mutters to themselves "...and what the fuck do you know?".

This is a massive, mind-boggling challenge and I wish both riders (and their respective support teams) the best of luck in attempting it.

GO STEVE, GO KURT!

H

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1936 on: 15 March, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »
No, you're not the only one, H! Arguments about who has the better support and whether either man is operating within the spirit of Tommy Godwin's original achievement seem to me to miss the point entirely: this is an incredibly difficult thing to do! I'm sure I'm not alone, even amongst the esteemed YACF audience, who's watching this having never, ever ridden over 200 miles in one day, let alone on successive days. The scale of what they are doing just blows me away, and I have incredible respect for both of them. Kurt's issues over the past few days surprised me by making me really worry whether he can get back on track, because this thing is so exciting for having these two giants of cycling to contrast and compare even if they're not directly competing with each other (yeah, right!).

I wish both of them the strength and the fortune to complete the year as well as they've started it.

« Reply #1937 on: 15 March, 2015, 01:33:56 pm »
Regardless of where the riders are, what steeds they ride and how they get support they still have to get over 75,000 miles ridden.  In my mind the differing techniques and strategies adds a great deal to this fascinating spectacle.

Kurt obviously has had issues, especially over the last few days, which are impacting his distance. His FaceTube quote about only doing 150 mile then off to do his taxes seems odd, individual tax returns are not due for a month whereas corporate ones are due tomorrow, so are we actually following Tarzan Inc !!

Steve's methods and miles are straight out of the K.I.S.S. principle and seem to be serving him well.  This will be a great year.

GO STEVE, GO KURT  go a bit further Steve  ;D

« Reply #1938 on: 15 March, 2015, 01:55:21 pm »
Kurt's on the road - done 17 miles so far today according to the AudaxClubHackney tracker. Let's hope he doesn't have too many more interruptions to stop him riding.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1939 on: 15 March, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »
Taxes! What a rude interruption to such feat!

Hopefully Steve is sufficiently skint to be above such trivial concerns.

« Reply #1940 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:15:49 pm »
I wonder if Steve can claim this against tax. If so he might not have to pay any for *years*  ;D

Then again he might be vilified as a tax dodger.

Go Steve!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1941 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:21:02 pm »
Well if he has been on PAYE he should get a refund for some of the current Tax Year.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1942 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »
Kurt's track today shows that he has gone out into a hilly area*, albeit a valley between two ranges. I like to have a look at his routes in Streetview and this is, to me, one of the most appealing he has been down. Lots of trees, a bit of up and down, a two-lane road with unbroken double yellow lines down the middle (I would guess that they are the equivalent of our double white line) and very little traffic.

*whose map does Tracker use? It's got a lot more physical detail than googlemaps.

« Reply #1943 on: 15 March, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »
*whose map does Tracker use? It's got a lot more physical detail than googlemaps.

Looks to be a Google base map with the topographical detail provided by mytopomaps.com (linked at the bottom of the map). All other links are to Google, hence my conclusion that it's an overlay service. It does seem very good, and Kurt's roads today are far, far nicer than his typical pseudo-motorway type things!

« Reply #1944 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:07:01 pm »
individual tax returns are not due for a month whereas corporate ones are due tomorrow, so are we actually following Tarzan Inc !!

Kurt seems to have a business supplying software packages to car dealers in Arkansas. http://www.acs-soft.com/index.htm
I dare say that he can resolve some of the issues arising from that on the road. It must give him something to think about.

« Reply #1945 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:09:37 pm »
He has had a dyno fitted on the front, mentioned riding through the night. Hmm should be interesting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1946 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
Just seen the latest Kurt-vid on FaceTube  :-\

Either he's into some very clever reverse-psychology or some-such or he's on a big downer.  Seems his only motivation is to beat someone else which sort of flies against the blurb on his website about beating the record.

Also seems a bit weird that his own, hometown, bike shop didn't seem all that interested in what he was doing.

Or I could be reading just too much into it all, though I do find it odd that both Kurt and Alicia seem to have a need to post everything about themselves on FaceTube, I would say its a modern generational thing but hey Kurt's 50+  ???

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1947 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

Kurt obviously has had issues, especially over the last few days, which are impacting his distance. His FaceTube quote about only doing 150 mile then off to do his taxes seems odd, individual tax returns are not due for a month whereas corporate ones are due tomorrow, so are we actually following Tarzan Inc !!

My American colleagues seem to fear the IRS more than historically the Spanish Inquisition were feared; I think the IRS are quite anal about paperwork and, given Tarzan has a tracker showing his whereabouts, I'm sure he will want to set his affairs in order.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1948 on: 15 March, 2015, 06:06:06 pm »
My American colleagues seem to fear the IRS more than historically the Spanish Inquisition were feared

...even if "Nobody expects the IRS" doesn't have quite the same ring to it....  ;D

hillbilly

« Reply #1949 on: 15 March, 2015, 06:29:24 pm »
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as sausages, dyhohubs, Brooks saddles, and an almost fanatical devotion to PBP, and nice red cycling tops