Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460808 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #1975 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »
Also seems a bit weird that his own, hometown, bike shop didn't seem all that interested in what he was doing.

I dunno - sure, they weren't asking all through the vid what he was up to, but near the end there's a voice off-camera saying "it's pretty awesome what he's doing" and asking Alicia about her role (she's his professional stalker, apparently).

And you know, they were right - it is pretty awesome what he's doing. (Steve's more awesome, obv, but that goes without saying here and in any case is only a matter of degree.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1976 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:59:44 pm »
It seems Flash Player is needed to view Kurt's videos. So I won't be seeing any of them after all. Because as any fule kno Flash Player is effin' insecure.

If you care about security uninstall Flash. Seriously.

The one linked upthread played fine using Chrome on my fondleslab.  And the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia is well-known for its rabid dislike of Flash.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1977 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:08:40 pm »
Our Battling USAnian Boy is still out there, the tracker claiming he's done 162.54 miles. There's been quite a lot of doubling back so that may well be an understatement. Just after 6pm, so by my reckoning the sun should have set. However, I'm led to believe that LR is 5 hours behind us and Google claims that sunset today is 7.16 pm. That's a pretty inaccurate time approximation then, since the equinox isn't for another week.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1978 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:45:24 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1979 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:47:30 pm »
Well that looks OK. He seems to have stopped again though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1980 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:04:56 am »
I don't know if either cyclist is aware of the numbers of us following their progress, but if they are, then I hope they find it encouraging. Steve has a quick look in here from time to time and no doubt has picked up the fact that, at around 8pm every day, a fair few of us are willing him on to yet more miles.

Kurt obviously has a much smaller following on YACF and it gives the impression that he slogs his way around with hardly anyone about. Are there any other forums his supporters wish him well? Or is YACF the only place where this amazing contest is being celebrated?

He's got over 180 tracker miles registered so far today, so it looks as though his campaign is back on track after three less productive days.

« Reply #1981 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:35:33 am »
222.2 miles today!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1982 on: 16 March, 2015, 06:00:51 am »
Curiously, Kurt registered 2 rides, according to the UMCA soreadsheet. The first was 0.1 miles, the second 222.2! That's dedication for you.

red marley

« Reply #1983 on: 16 March, 2015, 06:21:09 am »
Kurt has managed to submit an extra 20 mile GPS track for 13th March - that day when he had GPS problems. Still a big chunk from the middle of the day missing though.

I also notice that his average heart rate for rides in the last week has been steadily climbing:

Day  Av Heart rate
9 Mar    90
10 Mar    92
11 Mar    92
12 Mar    96
13 Mar    99
14 Mar    101
15 Mar    106

« Reply #1984 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:17:16 am »
222.2 miles today!

Chapeau kurt - the race is on  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1985 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:20:13 am »
Kurt has managed to submit an extra 20 mile GPS track for 13th March - that day when he had GPS problems. Still a big chunk from the middle of the day missing though.

I also notice that his average heart rate for rides in the last week has been steadily climbing:

Day  Av Heart rate
9 Mar    90
10 Mar    92
11 Mar    92
12 Mar    96
13 Mar    99
14 Mar    101
15 Mar    106

Does it correlate with metres climbed?

« Reply #1986 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:35:11 am »

Day  Av Heart rate
9 Mar    90
10 Mar    92
11 Mar    92
12 Mar    96
13 Mar    99
14 Mar    101
15 Mar    106

I picked up on this too. Was wondering if it was related to slightly hillier terrain (probably) or possible an indicator of a dip in form (hopefully not). Anybody care to comment?

hillbilly

« Reply #1987 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:36:39 am »
I thought this as well. 

Also the conditions have been harder (he may not be riding with the wind at all times given he appears to be either "forced" to head towards Little Rock or is running the Steve approach of riding to/from home).

Steve and Kurt's rides appear to have swapped over in nature, compared to Jan/Feb when Kurt was benefitting from being in Florida.  Making hay, I think the expression is.

« Reply #1988 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:45:14 am »

Does it correlate with metres climbed?

Not really.  If Strava is to be believed March 10th and 13 equate to around 6 metres ascent per km, the other days are around 3.7, except for 11th which is 2.2

One of the 3 tracks submitted for 13/3 is 0.7km, rising 146km. I suspect this is not right. Coincidentally (or probably not), one of the others is 146m climbing over 33.5km.

« Reply #1989 on: 16 March, 2015, 08:46:59 am »
Also seems a bit weird that his own, hometown, bike shop didn't seem all that interested in what he was doing.

..... near the end there's a voice off-camera saying "it's pretty awesome what he's doing" and asking Alicia about her role ....

This was what had me questioning whether they were interested, it didn't seem as if they were joking around so it felt like a straight question and if they'd known about Kurt then they'd have known who Alicia was and her role......... but hey I've probably just read way too much into it all  :facepalm:

« Reply #1990 on: 16 March, 2015, 08:51:17 am »
Kurt obviously has a much smaller following on YACF and it gives the impression that he slogs his way around with hardly anyone about. Are there any other forums his supporters wish him well? Or is YACF the only place where this amazing contest is being celebrated?

He has quite a few followers on facebook.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1991 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:05:16 am »

He has quite a few followers on facebook.
I follow Kurt on facebook, its good to see all of the videos to guage how he is doing, but I suspect there are few places that celebrate this record attempt quite like YACF
Eddington Number 75

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1992 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:07:09 am »
I'm not a facebooker but I do watch his videos. I haven't appointed myself as a "follower" on facebook (presumably I can't without an account) but I have on Strava.

« Reply #1993 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:31:35 am »
The advantage of actually using Facebook is that you can send him messages or questions. Usually he or Alicia respond pretty quickly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1994 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:35:26 am »
Steve tries to read the messages about him/to him but it's time consuming.

The most important thing is riding the miles.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1995 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:57:38 am »
Steve tries to read the messages about him/to him but it's time consuming.

The most important thing is riding the miles.
Distracting as well. I think Steve has the right attitude for him.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1996 on: 16 March, 2015, 10:58:41 am »
The advantage of actually using Facebook is that you can send him messages or questions. Usually he or Alicia respond pretty quickly.

They both responded to a video that I'd shared on fb  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1997 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:04:25 pm »

They both responded to a video that I'd shared on fb  :)

I think they are both keeping an eye on what is happening over here. They do tend to respond to comments and there videos are usually quite amusing.  Keep them coming Kurt / Alicia!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1998 on: 16 March, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »
He got into England, turned round and went straight back out! Do you think he didn't like it?

Perhaps he's making some sort of statement?  Hasn't lost his sense of humour, it seems.

Zooming in on England, Arkansas, it looks absolutely nothing like the original.  The 'rolling English drunkard' took no part in highway construction out there!

And today 'e's been dahn ve East End :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1999 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:28:25 pm »
And today 'e's been dahn ve East End :thumbsup:

Ah, yes, that's close to Highway 167, which he seems to like yo-yoing up and down.  You don't think there's an Arkansas version of the VC167 (also named after a local main road), do you? 

An opportunity to set up a transatlantic twinning arrangement, perhaps?  Or maybe a team HAMR challenge?  ;)