Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460843 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2100 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:10:21 am »
Developing a theory to explain the evidence, or manipulating the evidence to fit a theory?

Nothing to do with water sources, geographical advantages and ancient ley lines.

If you squint, you’ll get an image of a man trying to club a bull, but a mirror image of the one in the sky.
Odd. I see it as a horse, walking from west to east, but without a head.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2101 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:15:01 am »
Developing a theory to explain the evidence, or manipulating the evidence to fit a theory?

Nothing to do with water sources, geographical advantages and ancient ley lines.

If you squint, you’ll get an image of a man trying to club a bull, but a mirror image of the one in the sky.
Odd. I see it as a horse, walking from west to east, but without a head.

A bison going to the Natchez Trace.

hillbilly

« Reply #2102 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:40:13 am »
Hmmm, still nothing on Strava or Garmin.  And Facebook is quiet.  His tracker marker was on the Natchez Trail yesterday, but I didn't follow it after seeing it fire up and head out for a little (10km).  Did anyone see his tracker move a longer way yesterday?

« Reply #2103 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:59:19 am »
It looked like he did a straight up and down the valley. Turned at about 110 miles?

« Reply #2104 on: 27 March, 2015, 11:08:59 am »
The last I saw, he was sitting at 217 miles.

« Reply #2105 on: 27 March, 2015, 11:30:16 am »
The Natchez Trace is about 440 miles long, so he could do out and back sections of about 110 miles, following the Spring North.

« Reply #2106 on: 27 March, 2015, 12:38:24 pm »
The Spot tracker had him on 210 miles at 12.30.  North to Jackson and back to Natchez. I was guessing about 225 in total.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2107 on: 27 March, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »
The Natchez Trace is about 440 miles long, so he could do out and back sections of about 110 miles, following the Spring North.

And great if he can pick up a draft behind some camper van.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2108 on: 27 March, 2015, 05:37:32 pm »
Kurt still hasn't posted his miles, it seems. How much longer does he have?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hillbilly

« Reply #2109 on: 27 March, 2015, 05:49:49 pm »
Within 24 hours of completion, according to UMCA rules.  Which would usually be around 2am UK time (but don't quote me on that, as I'm not master of transatlantic time differences).

He is mobile today, based on his tracker, so thankfully it doesn't look like anything untoward has happened to him personally.

« Reply #2110 on: 27 March, 2015, 06:07:47 pm »
Kurt doesn't need to post to Strava or Garmin within 24 hrs, the rules state that ride data be posted to the UMCA within 24 hrs.

It's possible to have your Garmin set to autoload to the Garmin connect site whenever it is connected to your PC or Laptop. Also in Strava you can also set it to allow auto syncing with the Garmin connect site as well.

This makes everything so easy and apart from plugging in your Garmin you basically have to do nothing else.

It makes you wonder if he has a pc problem. Has anyone seen any facebook updates recently either?

hillbilly

« Reply #2111 on: 27 March, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »
Good distinction.

Looking at UMCA HAM'R leaderboard, the 26/3 entry is also missing for Kurt.  Albeit this may simply reflect a delay in making the result public by UMCA rather than a delay in them receiving the information.

Time will tell.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2112 on: 27 March, 2015, 06:41:13 pm »
It was the UMCA spreadsheet I was looking at.

red marley

« Reply #2113 on: 27 March, 2015, 07:02:01 pm »
From Kurt's Facebook a few minutes ago...

No internet last night and sketchy now through Louisiana.

« Reply #2114 on: 27 March, 2015, 07:08:04 pm »
From Kurt's Facebook a few minutes ago...

No internet last night and sketchy now through Louisiana.

Do I see another adjustment of the rules coming to allow for poor internet coverage? Or are participants supposed to think of this possibility when they choose routing options?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2115 on: 27 March, 2015, 07:43:24 pm »
Rules need to be applied with a dollop of common sense. With all the best will in the world, when you try to develop a set of rules for an event which has never had any before, then this is the sort of thing that will emerge and would not have been considered by the rules committee. It's far more reasonable to relax this rule for someone who has cycled into a signal free zone that, for example, to make a great song and dance about a photo including a bottle of wine.

hillbilly

« Reply #2116 on: 27 March, 2015, 08:00:05 pm »
Only the UMCA knows, but I'd like to think they are pragmatic enough to flex the Rules. 

It would by very cnuty (anag.) to strike out (or seek to have struck out) miles ridden because of this kind of infraction, if reasonable efforts were made to submit the information and it is done as soon as possible once the "barrier" is removed. 

It is not unknown for such a pragmatic approach to be followed occasionally in AUK, should (for example) postal returns (e.g. perm brevets) not be submitted within the recommended timescale.  But then, AUK is stuffed to the rafters of sensible people.

« Reply #2117 on: 27 March, 2015, 08:36:06 pm »
It would be a pity if Kurt was forced to ride in built-up areas. I think it's a useful side-effect of the OYTT to highlight quiet areas to ride. I was aware of the Natchez Trace thanks to a 1500k held there, and I know it lacks services.

Are you looking for a long ride on a well maintained road? Do you want to ride where there aren’t any trucks, where any traffic nicely gives you at least three feet or more of space? In fact, do you want a road where the occasional car seems like it’s out of place, like “why is that car on my bike path?” Are you looking for a relatively flat ride where you never have to move out of your large chainring?

I’ve got the ride for you! You need to ride on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

http://blog.randonneursontario.ca/?p=430

« Reply #2118 on: 27 March, 2015, 08:55:52 pm »
Only the UMCA knows, but I'd like to think they are pragmatic enough to flex the Rules. 

It would by very cnuty (anag.) to strike out (or seek to have struck out) miles ridden because of this kind of infraction, if reasonable efforts were made to submit the information and it is done as soon as possible once the "barrier" is removed. 

It is not unknown for such a pragmatic approach to be followed occasionally in AUK, should (for example) postal returns (e.g. perm brevets) not be submitted within the recommended timescale.  But then, AUK is stuffed to the rafters of sensible people.

It needs a system where the rider can continue riding and tracking and upload two days (or more) in one go if he can't find a suitable connection every day. I don't know the technical complications but surely it should be possible. Does he need to phone or text the UMCA to inform them of the lack of internet cover?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2119 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:01:45 pm »
Why relax the rule? He signed up for it and it isn't THAT difficult to get a phone signal in the USA. He needs to kit himself up to post the track every day, as he is supposed to. Otherwise, the penalty should be applied.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2120 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »
Yahbut if he can phone the UMCA, he could upload the tracklog by ZMODEM...  :)

« Reply #2121 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:15:53 pm »
Why relax the rule? He signed up for it and it isn't THAT difficult to get a phone signal in the USA. He needs to kit himself up to post the track every day, as he is supposed to. Otherwise, the penalty should be applied.
I agree with this. Kurt is choosing his routes and while there may be a lack of 4G or similar signals, if there is a phone line, then you can upload.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2122 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »
He's also got a support vehicle and support crew member in attendance. He can presumably make the call whether he'd prefer them to remain in attendance on him, or go off in search of internet access: google suggests there's no shortage of motels with public wifi close(ish) to his route.

That said, I'm with Hillbilly and Wow in thinking some pragmatism rather than overly strict application of the rules is appropriate, especially given that his moves are still being recorded by the tracker.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2123 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:37:12 pm »
You are being too soft. There isn't anything actually stopping Kurt's ride being posted, other than the 'can't be arsed' factor of needing to do something different from his normal routine to make it happen.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2124 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:45:23 pm »
Maybe - but I look in the mirror and apply an enormous CBA correction factor before making too many criticisms. I'm also minded to be softer on the non-core parts: while the electromagic bits of this challenge are important, it's the riding that's the real achievement.

(And of course it's dead easy to work out where offers public internet access if you're sitting in front of a computer which already has internet access - slightly harder if you're not. Mind you, finding a motel and asking shouldn't be overly taxing.)