Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460808 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2125 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:48:34 pm »
If you want to gain the advantage of being able to move around the country with a camper van in tow, rather than being tied to the latitude of your house for a year, the price you pay is having to find internet access.

Perhaps we should adjust the rules if any of the riders' skin creams are found to contain PEDs?

« Reply #2126 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:05:30 pm »
If he can post a Facebook message that says he's struggling for wifi/signal, then he can post a ride, surely?!

« Reply #2127 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:22:21 pm »
If he can post a Facebook message that says he's struggling for wifi/signal, then he can post a ride, surely?!

He has 24hrs, as I understand the rules.
He can do it however he damn well likes within that time frame, and doesn't need to please anybody's preferences how it's done.
Outside of the 24hrs, he has a problem, as I understand the rules.
Garry Broad

hillbilly

« Reply #2128 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:25:23 pm »
Probably.

Crumbs, I'm surprised there are so many getting angsty about a dropped stitch in the rich tapestry that this challenge is.

It will no doubt be sorted by the time I wake Before sunrise for  a wee pootle to the Kent coast. 8)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2129 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:30:43 pm »
You are reading angst into a discussion that doesn't have it. Rules should be bent or set aside for a worthwhile reason. Not being bothered to go out of your way isn't a worthwhile reason.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2130 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:34:59 pm »
But no rule has been bent or set aside in this case, as I understand it?  Since they have 24 hours to upload the data and that hasn't passed.

Similarly, if Steve wanted to he could not upload his tracks when he finishes riding and then do it the following day.  The internet might implode with the suspense thobut.

LMT

« Reply #2131 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »
It'll come good.

« Reply #2132 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:41:25 pm »
But no rule has been bent or set aside in this case, as I understand it?  Since they have 24 hours to upload the data and that hasn't passed.

Quite. I can't see what the problem is.
Maybe he can't be arsed. Big deal. He only needs to satisfy UMCA, not anybody else.
I can't imagine he's likely to let a days riding go.

And if he comes on and asks for a rule change after 24hrs...then that's a different ball game completely.
Until that time it's a non issue.
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2133 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:12:53 am »
He's also got a support vehicle and support crew member in attendance. He can presumably make the call whether he'd prefer them to remain in attendance on him, or go off in search of internet access: google suggests there's no shortage of motels with public wifi close(ish) to his route.

Just about any branch of The Scottish Restaurant has wi-fi these days.  Back in the opening overs of the Third Millennium it was way less hassle to buy a cup of coffee and use their network than struggle (ATH) with the antediluvian (ATDT) Compuserve dial-up alternative back (NO CARRIER) at the (LOUD SCREAMING; SORRY, WARREN, YOUR LAPTOP JUST FELL OUT THE WINDOW) motel.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hillbilly

« Reply #2134 on: 28 March, 2015, 05:48:41 am »
#storminateacup

Rides public. And decent mileage too (but not compared to Steve's massive turn yesterday. Huzzah).

Pedants can now commence poring over whether they were submitted within 24 hours of the stipulated time.

« Reply #2135 on: 28 March, 2015, 08:41:48 am »

Just about any branch of The Scottish Restaurant has wi-fi these days.

THERE is NOTHING SCOTTISH about that particular chain  >:( >:( >:(. And I would walk a 500 miles to avoid that golden arch...and I would walk 500 more. No McHaggis, neeps and tatties or a bridie in sight.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2136 on: 28 March, 2015, 09:48:45 am »

THERE is NOTHING SCOTTISH about that particular chain  >:( >:( >:(. And I would walk a 500 miles to avoid that golden arch...and I would walk 500 more. No McHaggis, neeps and tatties or a bridie in sight.

My work here is done 8)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2137 on: 28 March, 2015, 11:56:27 am »
#storminateacup

Rides public. And decent mileage too (but not compared to Steve's massive turn yesterday. Huzzah).

Pedants can now commence poring over whether they were submitted within 24 hours of the stipulated time.

Thank you - and if you had posted with the mileage and the time it was posted at it would perhaps have been greatly appreciated. Do I have to sign up to Strava to find that out? (Which makes little sense since I have no intention of posting my rides to Strava or even logging them digitally).

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2138 on: 28 March, 2015, 12:45:21 pm »

and... they don't even deep fry the burgers!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #2139 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »
it isn't THAT difficult to get a phone signal in the USA
You might be surprised. Outside of urban areas it certainly still can be. Have a look here - http://opensignal.com/networks/usa/verizon-coverage - zoom in a bit and see the holes expand. And I linked to the Verizon map because they're arguably regarded as having the best coverage, nationwide.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2140 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »
Perhaps I should have written phone, rather than signal. Land lines work. If a native USA-ian is travelling in his own country and needs to connect to the internet each day, he needs to do whatever needs to be done to ensure that happens.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2141 on: 28 March, 2015, 06:06:46 pm »
Perhaps I should have written phone, rather than signal. Land lines work. If a native USA-ian is travelling in his own country and needs to connect to the internet each day, he needs to do whatever needs to be done to ensure that happens.

Indeed.  Given the availability of a support person and motor vehicle, a satellite phone is probably overkill, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a POTS modem and dialup account on standby just in case.  (I'm vaguely aware that vast swathes of the rural US are broadband-impaired, also).

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2142 on: 28 March, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
Acoustic couplers!  With those he could probably upload the gpx files nearly as quickly as he rode them.

« Reply #2143 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:09:02 pm »
My word. I recall using an acoustic coupler to connect the teletype in our "computer lab" at school to the mainframes at Leicester University (CDC Cyber 72) and County Hall (Univac 1100) in 1978.

Makes I feel very old...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2144 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:33:17 pm »
#storminateacup

Thank you - and if you had posted with the mileage and the time it was posted at it would perhaps have been greatly appreciated. Do I have to sign up to Strava to find that out? (Which makes little sense since I have no intention of posting my rides to Strava or even logging them digitally).

Yes, you have to sign up to Strava.
You don't have to upload rides to join Strava, you can do it for the purpose of watching Steve's progress.
It really isn't hard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2145 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:50:37 pm »
My word. I recall using an acoustic coupler to connect the teletype in our "computer lab" at school to the mainframes at Leicester University (CDC Cyber 72) and County Hall (Univac 1100) in 1978.

Makes I feel very old...

Barakta's textphone has acoustic couplers (as well as a direct connection to analogue phone line).  In Baudot mode it can just barely keep up with her typing.  They're still making them; current models don't even use NiCad batteries!

Our-favourite-telco launched their internet-based alternative to such vintage tech last October.  It sort-of works, though I'm not sure anyone's worked out how to use it yet.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2146 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:58:52 pm »
Tarzan appears to be heading for El Dorado!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2147 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:30:12 am »
242 miles on the tracker at 1.20am
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #2148 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:37:33 am »
245.6mi @19.8mph with over 6k of climbing. A very strong day.

hillbilly

« Reply #2149 on: 29 March, 2015, 05:44:40 am »
I think we can read into those stats that he noticed Steve's ride on Friday and wanted to make it clear that he could match it and more. 

His average moving speed was 20% or so higher than Steve. Some of that will be the recumbent and he probably chose a route based on wind direction but, and I rarely use this emoticon,  :o