Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460767 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2575 on: 22 September, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »
Now less than 199mpd. 

The other stat that sticks out was the average riding speed of 18.2mph.  I am not known for hanging about on Audax events, but there are precious few where I would have achieved this on a single event (of events more than, I think the list would be 1, the Rough Diamond a couple of years back).  To have achieved this on 330k per day average for most of a year, irrespective of terrain, weather, and bicycle is nothing short of astonishing.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2576 on: 22 September, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »
I was musing about Kurt's objective now he is approaching the 3/4 stage.  On current pace he will break the record and add just over 1,000k to it.  Will he deem that to be enough, or will he have a final big push to try and put the record further out of reach?  I guess we'll find out soon.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #2577 on: 22 September, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
I am not known for hanging about on Audax events ...
...nothing short of astonishing.

I think that even if you are the fastest of the fast in audax terms, there is a gulf between elite cyclists and the rest. 

I know that there is no utility in comparing the fastest etape riders with regular TdF riders.  They are different animals.  Kurt is not known as the Beast for nothing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2578 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »
I am not known for hanging about on Audax events ...
...nothing short of astonishing.

I think that even if you are the fastest of the fast in audax terms, there is a gulf between elite cyclists and the rest. 

I know that there is no utility in comparing the fastest etape riders with regular TdF riders.  They are different animals.  Kurt is not known as the Beast for nothing.

I hasten to add that I wasn't making any exceptional claims about my own abilities - there are plenty of riders whose wheels I am not able even to suck -  I was just standing back in astonishment
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2579 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:00:24 pm »
I was musing about Kurt's objective now he is approaching the 3/4 stage.  On current pace he will break the record and add just over 1,000k to it.

so that gives him the record with around 3 days to spare

even a hail mary of riding for 3 days straight wouldn't add a great deal on the basis of the record

« Reply #2580 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »
I was musing about Kurt's objective now he is approaching the 3/4 stage.  On current pace he will break the record and add just over 1,000k to it.

so that gives him the record with around 3 days to spare

even a hail mary of riding for 3 days straight wouldn't add a great deal on the basis of the record

I wasn't thinking of a final effort once over the line - as you say that would be comparative peanuts.  Rather prehaps gradually increasing daily milages when he is reasonably confident of reaching the record total, perhaps starting 6 or 8 weeks out.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2581 on: 22 September, 2015, 10:57:30 pm »
There is still a very long way to go - about 20,000 miles, in 100 days. It is my view that it is far too soon to be looking that far ahead.

It will be a great psychological milestone when the total left drops into 4 figures, rather like a run-chase in 1-day cricket when the "required" total drops below 99. Then you really start to appreciate what every day/over means to quest.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2582 on: 23 September, 2015, 09:02:20 am »
I think we've shown that there are as many ways of looking at this as Steve has supporters :)

If it was me (and I've been in similar* situations), the psychological advantages come from buffers against the unexpected. e.g. knowing you have a day in hand means you can lose a day to illness, freak weather or mechanicals.
Having 3 days in hand must feel great!

*i.e. 1/365th of the duration :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2583 on: 23 September, 2015, 09:32:07 am »
It also means that you have to do fewer miles each day to keep 3 days in hand.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2584 on: 23 September, 2015, 09:35:15 am »
It seems as though Kurt's request for company is paying off!

Did a big loop out east then rode with lots of people in the afternoon. Adam Xaysuda, Greg Eberdt, Lisa Longinotti and many more!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2585 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:50:04 pm »
I was amused by Kurt's comment about his new custom wheel "working great". Wheels are pretty fundamental things for cycling, and I think you would know it very quickly if it wasn't working properly!

« Reply #2586 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:27:03 am »
Kurt's in the hospital at the moment. Heart spiked into the 200's today and he's been diagnosed with AFib...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2587 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:42:39 am »
Ouch!  GWS, Tarzan!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2588 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:43:35 am »
That's such bad news

From Facebook "Kurt's getting an EKG now. His heart rate spiked to 211 bpm. After 30 minutes of rest it was only down to 170 bpm. Back to Urgent Care".
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2589 on: 24 September, 2015, 04:14:31 am »
From Kurt at 4am BST after recording 171.9 miles

"This afternoon - my HR spike up over 210 and wouldn't come back down below 170 after 30 minutes so against my will, Alicia made me ride over to the urgent care. At urgent care my HR was 65 but garmin was recording 170. The top half of my heart was beating at 170 and the bottom half was beating at 65. So they hooked me up to an EKG and determined I was in Atrial Fibrillation and was sent over to the Heart Hospital. By the time I got to the Heart Hospital my heart was beating normally again. They took blood and determined my thyroid is wack and that I was dehydrated. I now wear a live tracking heart rate monitor and have an appointment with a cardiologist. No restriction on my activities for now. May sleep in tomorrow or may ride not sure how I'm feeling about all this. It was epic enough before - I don't need anything else to make this more challenging.."
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2590 on: 24 September, 2015, 07:19:57 am »
Jeepers, that's scary.

Go carefully Kurt.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2591 on: 24 September, 2015, 07:42:28 am »
AF is a pain in the arse - an inconvenience for people in everyday life - but for someone cycling 200 miles a day in a record attempt, it must be a major setback. I hope he finds a way to get it under control.

H

« Reply #2592 on: 24 September, 2015, 08:21:39 am »
Mebbe they need to get a defibrillator in the van . . .

Kurt has done so much ultra-distance competition it is hard to believe that he's had this issue all along. Must be cumulative damage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #2593 on: 24 September, 2015, 10:46:11 am »
"The strong association of endurance athletics and atrial fibrillation."

http://www.drjohnm.org/2011/03/cw-that-exercise-has-an-upper-limit-makes-perfect-sense/

I wish Kurt the very best in dealing with this.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2594 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:03:27 pm »
Absolutely. It must be a very frightening prospect.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2595 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:49:06 pm »
I'm astounded that he's riding 220 mpd in this condition.  When I was suffering from AF, I would have to stop for a rest half way on a 7 mile commute.
It's easily treatable, but not on a bike.  And is then drug controllable.

Take care Kurt.  Don't do permanent damage.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #2596 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:30:33 pm »
Yes here is to a quick recovery...I had AF fixed with ablation but meant I had to miss PBP.  According to my EP (cardiologist who fixes electrical problems of the heart) current thinking is that the risk is associated with the gap between resting rate and ty your rate while doing activity.  SO if you ride 'carefully' in the endurance zone the risk is minimised.  If you go to racing mode with HR going above 200 and a resting rate of 35 risk is much increased.  It is all rather cutting edge however.
Lees
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #2597 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:52:20 pm »
 http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93175&p=939240#p939240

Post at 1.25pm today links a very detailed article on older endurance athletes and heart problems

simonp

« Reply #2598 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:59:49 pm »
Well he's off and riding.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2599 on: 24 September, 2015, 03:17:33 pm »
He is. Currently at 4.5mph, according to his tracker, having covered 7.5 miles so far.