Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460875 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2775 on: 12 November, 2015, 09:48:22 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2776 on: 16 November, 2015, 11:29:48 am »
Now that the missing day has been found Kurt only requires 197 miles per day to eclipse Tommy.  At 207 mpd his year to date average - he would break the record with 2.5 days to spare - so it is still too close to call.

Go Kurt!!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

paul851

« Reply #2777 on: 16 November, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
I imagine both Kurt and Alicia are on tenterhooks these days as with no real time in hand so to speak an incident that kept Kurt of the bike could be catastrophic for the record , I for one have all my fingers a toes crossed that Kurt keep's on keeping on and breaks the record .

Paul

« Reply #2778 on: 16 November, 2015, 07:17:47 pm »
I imagine both Kurt and Alicia are on tenterhooks these days as with no real time in hand so to speak an incident that kept Kurt of the bike could be catastrophic for the record , I for one have all my fingers a toes crossed that Kurt keep's on keeping on and breaks the record .

Paul

I wonder why the record has stood for so long.

« Reply #2779 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
I would suggest you read Citizenfish's (of this parish) recent book "The Year" about the record if you are not familiar, it's a great read.

http://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/categories/cycling/the-year.html
ISBN 9781910 240434

It makes you realise just how determined and passionate the individuals have to be to even attempt this, never mind about the financial and social hardships it entails. It's also at least a year plus of your life effectively in isolation from many of the other things we take for granted, together with the ever present dangers from other road users and the elements. Getting knocked off seems to be an occupational hazard.

Apologies if you are familiar with all this already but the book certainly gave me a better understanding of the reasons why the record has stood for so long.

It might also find more favour when cycling is in "fashion" as it was in the 1930s

Chris S

« Reply #2780 on: 16 November, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »
I think we're about to have a Gibbon

From Kurt??!  :o

Damn, top work!!

« Reply #2781 on: 16 November, 2015, 09:10:39 pm »
 ;D ;D
I think we're about to have a Gibbon

From Kurt??!  :o

Damn, top work!!

;D Doh  :facepalm:  See other HAMR thread - the right one.
The sound of one pannier flapping

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2782 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:52:06 am »
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2783 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:10:54 am »
I notice that bell end, Adam Day is active again. I left a comment on Kurts strava recently on one of his really big days, and got the usual load of emails saying other commenters have added. He seems to be trolling Kurt now.  God knows what he gets out of it.

Anyway, ride on Kurt. I think only injury could stop you now, so stay safe !  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2784 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:18:30 am »
i guess thats where the comment on Facebook came from?

We have been notified by a number of individuals that some Brits fear that Tommy's record is about to be broken so they want to change history by changing the rules and picking what dates he counted toward his record. Sorry but that don't fly. Tommy started his attempt on January 1st - that's when he annouced - he finished on December 31st. I started my attempt on January 10th and will finish on January 9th and do hope to break his record of 75065 miles.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2785 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:38:13 am »
Dirty little troll idiot.

I am amazed they haven't blocked him. 

I am sure they don't think that his views represent even a small minority of UK views.  He may well be the kind of amusement they like?!?

Anyway - keep on pedalling and get this job done!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2786 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:50:02 am »
There is always one!  >:(

He's more than welcome to show us all how it should be done!!
Eddington Number 75

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2787 on: 18 November, 2015, 10:23:47 am »
Ask the troll to do a double Gibbon

https://goo.gl/maps/5f9QcznKcrP2

repeat weekly until realise this is 500+ miles short of what is required

then stir, vigorously.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2788 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
It's entirely possible that Kurt will break Tommy's record before the wossname in Times Square does its party piece which will leave the trolls looking even sillier than they do already.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

red marley

« Reply #2789 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:53:44 pm »

We have been notified by a number of individuals that some Brits fear that Tommy's record is about to be broken so they want to change history by changing the rules and picking what dates he counted toward his record. Sorry but that don't fly. Tommy started his attempt on January 1st - that's when he annouced - he finished on December 31st. I started my attempt on January 10th and will finish on January 9th and do hope to break his record of 75065 miles.

I can't see anything on FB or Strava that suggests Adam Day is responsible for that particular gripe. Paranoia is getting the better of me though and I do hope it is not "The Year" book that is causing team Searvogel to think 'the Brits want to change the rules'. My version of the OYTT chart in that book includes all the historical record holders as well as Steve and Kurt with an assumed start of 1st Jan (many of the historical attempts actually started later than the 1st and so "lost" distance). There was good reason to do this when considering the historical context, but do hope it isn't being inferred that I think Kurt's HAMR attempt should be adjusted for a Jan 1st start.

« Reply #2790 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:02:03 pm »

I can't see anything on FB or Strava that suggests Adam Day is responsible for that particular gripe. Paranoia is getting the better of me though and I do hope it is not "The Year" book that is causing team Searvogel to think 'the Brits want to change the rules'. My version of the OYTT chart in that book includes all the historical record holders as well as Steve and Kurt with an assumed start of 1st Jan (many of the historical attempts actually started later than the 1st and so "lost" distance). There was good reason to do this when considering the historical context, but do hope it isn't being inferred that I think Kurt's HAMR attempt should be adjusted for a Jan 1st start.

I honestly don't think they are analysing things that closely Jo - probably far too pre-occupied and knackered to do that!  More likely that they have just decided that Brits are generally sceptics (based on some comments in the early part of the year) and to be seen loosely as "the competition". That probably works well from a motivational point of view.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2791 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:11:46 pm »

It won't be your chart Jo, it will be my writing. I state quite clearly in the book that the record Godwin went for and got was (and always was) a calendar year.  I told UMCA this as well. I sent Kurt a copy of the book out of courtesy. We brits can't change the rules (as defined by Cycling) they were always there and always unequivocal, it was a calendar year. Greaves and Humbles  were both penalised for late starts.

ps. please tell me you got your copy

« Reply #2792 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »
Tommy's record will almost certainly be broken by Kurt, and well done to him and Alicia in doing so.  :thumbsup:

All the current riders as far as I am aware are riding to UCMA rules which are different to those set back in the 1930s and things evolve. Godwin would have no doubt been delighted to have had Strava and other modern gadgets and tweaks to help him on his way.

I am looking forward to January when Kurt can at last take a break, unless he decides 100,000 would be a good place to finish?

We all wish you well from 'A small island' Mr & Mrs Searvogel.  :)

« Reply #2793 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:58:53 pm »
Tommy's record will almost certainly be broken by Kurt, and well done to him and Alicia in doing so.  :thumbsup:
Couldn't agree more.

:thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #2794 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:35:04 pm »
I state quite clearly in the book that the record Godwin went for and got was (and always was) a calendar year. 

Of course I preface this with all the due awe one owes these competitors.

But ...

If you look at the world of sport, there are many grand slams that by tradition take place in a calendar year.  When Serena won her "Selena Slam" it was titled this precisely because  it did not take place in a single year.  Kurt - IMO - will deserve the WR, but it does not have the same aesthetic ring to it as if it had taken place in a Western tradition year.  It was a shame he did not start on the same day as Steve.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #2795 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:36:48 pm »
Question to Jo:  As TG kept on riding, is there any other 12 month period that exceeds the mileage from 01/Jan - 31/Dec?

red marley

« Reply #2796 on: 18 November, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »
Yes. But I don't know which as I don't have a record of Tommy's daily distances between days 366-500.

We know that he hit 100,000 by day 500 (14th May taking the leap year into account) which means he covered 100,000-75065=24,935 miles (actually he did a few more just to be sure of the record) in the last 135 days of riding (184.7 mpd). In his first 135 days of riding from Jan 1st-15th May 1939 he had ridden 23,400 miles (173.3 mpd). This means in his last 12 months of riding he covered at least 76,600 miles. If anyone (CitizenFish?) has his 1940 daily mileages we could find out if there is a higher 12 month total than his last 365. His highest 12 month average could be as early as 15th Jan as from then on, his rolling average over 135 days was greater than his last 135 days' average.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2797 on: 18 November, 2015, 07:20:22 pm »
I state quite clearly in the book that the record Godwin went for and got was (and always was) a calendar year. 

Of course I preface this with all the due awe one owes these competitors.

But ...

If you look at the world of sport, there are many grand slams that by tradition take place in a calendar year.  When Serena won her "Selena Slam" it was titled this precisely because  it did not take place in a single year.  Kurt - IMO - will deserve the WR, but it does not have the same aesthetic ring to it as if it had taken place in a Western tradition year.  It was a shame he did not start on the same day as Steve.

But ...

What if Kurt surpasses Tommy's total before close of play on December 31st?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2798 on: 18 November, 2015, 07:28:47 pm »
In roundish figures, I understand that Kurt currently had four days in hand. In order to beat TG's record by the end of 2015 he would need to pick up a minimum of 6 extra days in in 6 weeks. That might see him squeak over the line. To be completely sure of this he would then need a buffer of, say, another couple of days. That's another 1400 miles, I think, putting the daily requirement to well above 230 miles a day. I can't see him doing this - but all that arithmetic has been done in my head so I'm quite happy to be corrected.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2799 on: 18 November, 2015, 07:31:26 pm »
What if Kurt surpasses Tommy's total before close of play on December 31st?

needs 242.2mpd for the rest of the calendar year