Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460738 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2875 on: 12 December, 2015, 02:23:01 pm »
Looking at his total from his own spreadsheet, and adding on 210 for yesterday, takes him to 69885 at the start today. I reckon that once the tracker gives him 115 for today, that's the time for me to raise my glass. He's currently on 35 miles, so 80 to do. That should be around 7pm. Very appropriate!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2876 on: 12 December, 2015, 03:28:45 pm »
I hope he'll be getting a custom jersey to wear on the auspicious day itself. Is Alicia on the case?
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2877 on: 12 December, 2015, 03:31:14 pm »
His total on Strava is 112814km= 70099mi 650.1944yd so we are in a grey area...

Don't forget that he started on 10 January, and the Strava total is from 1 January (he did a few long rides before the "official" start).

Bloody impressive.

Indeed.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2878 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »
Congratulations Kurt, bloody awesome!

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2879 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »
Another hour or so to go, I reckon. He's just passed 100 miles for the day, according to the tracker.

Edit: although he seems to have stopped. Savouring the moment?  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2880 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:41:27 pm »
Outstanding.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2881 on: 12 December, 2015, 08:08:35 pm »
Indeed. He is now past 115 on the tracker. Is today the day he pulls ahead of Tommy Godwin's actual miles, as opposed to his average? He's damned close.

I even opened a new bottle in his honour!

« Reply #2882 on: 13 December, 2015, 04:28:32 pm »
Nice! But perhaps you should have sent him the bottle to savour as he has done all the hard work!! We are but spectators O:-)

« Reply #2883 on: 13 December, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »
I must say my cap is doff'ed to Kurt's efforts for percevering against all the problems he has overcome - a true athlete in all senses.

It remains to be seen now how much further he can move the target for others to follow, I wish him well.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2884 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:32:31 am »
If you work in retail it probably won't be long before you're expected in the store in the evening on Christmas Day so the entitlement brigade of consumers don't have to struggle through a whole 24 hours without buying some Chinese crap they don't need.

and food; it amazes me how most peeps seems to get through an entire trolley full of stuff that they purchased on Dec 24th by the time the shops open again on the 27th  :-\

Yep, go to the stores on Christmas Eve and see the people with trolleys filled with enough food to last an army about six months. Hey, you gotta be prepared, the shops are shut for TWENTY FOUR WHOLE HOURS, and how could you face the embarrassment if Great Aunt Maude asked for picked squid eyes and you didn't have any?
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2885 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:34:11 am »
I suppose we ought to open a book on when he will break the record. He seems to be in marvellous form at the moment. The last time he had a day in which he rode less than a Godwin was 8th November. He has ridden 5995 miles in the last 28 days. If he does the same over the next 28, that will be 4th or 5th Jan to exceed 75065.

Holy crap... 28 days of riding took him further than I've ever cycled in a year. I know I'm not exactly a hardcore audaxer but that's worthy of serious respect.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #2886 on: 14 December, 2015, 07:33:29 am »
..... and how could you face the embarrassment if Great Aunt Maude asked for picked squid eyes and you didn't have any?

I've met him and I don't think he would, HTH

« Reply #2887 on: 14 December, 2015, 09:36:16 pm »
Just seen the latest video on Kurts Facebook page showing him riding round Flatwood Park

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides - no account required.

Looks ideal for racking up the miles. He has company as well to help motivation and someone to draft at times.

Tuesday and Thursday he is apparently riding with the Schlitters who are big recumbent riders and have ridden with him before. He'll probably be on his recumbent as well that day. I'm anticipating big miles and a high average speed, as was the case when they rode with him before.

You've got to admire the bloke, after all this time and effort he's sprinting towards the finish line.

Chris S

« Reply #2888 on: 14 December, 2015, 09:44:40 pm »
Everything about this shows how he's got this nailed. It's a DISTANCE event, not a DIFFICULTY event.

Ride flat loops, tailwinds, with company if they show up, and have someone to come home to. Sorted!

LMT

« Reply #2889 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:10:32 pm »
Just seen the latest video on Kurts Facebook page showing him riding round Flatwood Park

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides - no account required.

Looks ideal for racking up the miles. He has company as well to help motivation and someone to draft at times.

Tuesday and Thursday he is apparently riding with the Schlitters who are big recumbent riders and have ridden with him before. He'll probably be on his recumbent as well that day. I'm anticipating big miles and a high average speed, as was the case when they rode with him before.

You've got to admire the bloke, after all this time and effort he's sprinting towards the finish line.

He has and they are. I think John and three others who rode RAAM back in 2007 still holds the four person RAAM record, Jacq has done RAAM as well and among the two of them they've done multiple ultra events. John has recently launched his own brand of recumbent after leaving Bachetta and thier Vite jerseys are really good for riding on a recumbent.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kurt is trying to break the HAMR, Steve (maybe) is still trying to break the Tommy Godwin record.

red marley

« Reply #2890 on: 14 December, 2015, 11:43:37 pm »
Wowbagger, if you'd like another reason to break open the whisky, Kurt has today overtaken Tommy's like-for-like total.

That means he's ridden further in 338 days than any rider in history. Congratulations Kurt!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2891 on: 15 December, 2015, 06:54:04 am »
Well, there's normally one reason or another to break open the whisky.

I notice that yesterday Kurt notched up 399k. That's as near as dammit to 250 miles. He wants this thing finished.

simonp

« Reply #2892 on: 15 December, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »
Well, there's normally one reason or another to break open the whisky.

I notice that yesterday Kurt notched up 399k. That's as near as dammit to 250 miles. He wants this thing finished.

I think he wants to set a mark.

« Reply #2893 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:13:05 pm »
Agree simonp, he wants the maximum distance he can get and make things as tough as possible for the next person to attempt this.

« Reply #2894 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:17:28 pm »
Agree simonp, he wants the maximum distance he can get and make things as tough as possible for the next person to attempt this.

Absolutely this. In the same way that Wiggo would have liked to put another 700 metres into his Hour record, to keep the record for as long as possible.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2895 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »
I don't think anyone believed Kurt when he said a couple of months ago that he was aiming to add a single mile to the record.  ;)

I always suspected that when the end was within reach he'd go all out to add as many extra miles as humanly possible, so I am expecting some long days in the remaining few weeks.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2896 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »
Tenuous claim to fame part 394 - I had dinner with John Schlitter, or at least sat at the opposite end of the same (rather long) table ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2897 on: 15 December, 2015, 05:13:02 pm »
Tenuous claim to fame part 394 - I had dinner with John Schlitter, or at least sat at the opposite end of the same (rather long) table ;D

Is that your tenuous claim to fame or his?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2898 on: 15 December, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »
I have a feeling that I'm probably supposed to know who John Schlitter is. 

Edit.  'S OK.  I googled.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2899 on: 15 December, 2015, 05:36:48 pm »

Is that your tenuous claim to fame or his?

His, definitely ;D

I was once called "another goddamn internet celebrity" by recumbent legend

Joe Kochanowski...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime