Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460796 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2950 on: 23 December, 2015, 08:52:58 am »
Quite. Whatever the state of his knee, that looked like another 225 mile day yesterday. It's looking as though he will be adding about 5 days' riding to the record, so another 1100 or so on top. The question is, will he ride right up to midnight on 9th Jan? He could finish with a 300 mile day if he did.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2951 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »
I would without hesitation as once it's midnight he can have as much sleep as he wants.

« Reply #2952 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:05:05 pm »
The question is, will he ride right up to midnight on 9th Jan? He could finish with a 300 mile day if he did.

The answer is, he'll do whatever Alicia wants him to do. No doubt in my mind that she's the reason that he's piling up the miles here towards the end.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2953 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:06:38 pm »
I reckon he might struggle once he's got past the mark.  It will be like going past the checkerboard on a time trial, the legs will suddenly want to stop turning.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2954 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:08:16 pm »
The question is, will he ride right up to midnight on 9th Jan? He could finish with a 300 mile day if he did.

The answer is, he'll do whatever Alicia wants him to do. No doubt in my mind that she's the reason that he's piling up the miles here towards the end.

Do you think he'll have the energy?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2955 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:22:36 pm »
Bad Wowbagger!  Go sit in the corner.

;D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2956 on: 23 December, 2015, 02:07:15 pm »

I reckon he might struggle once he's got past the mark.  It will be like going past the checkerboard on a time trial, the legs will suddenly want to stop turning.

I'd say not. He'll be miles greedy and want to acquire as many as possible. Mileating is more like a 24 hour - more is always better, so if you've got the time you ride.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2957 on: 23 December, 2015, 02:59:34 pm »
I get the impression he's really enjoying this final run-in, and that he really appreciates and responds to the social benefits of riding in a group with like-minded (and fast and fit) riders. I think he'll, if anything, up the pace a bit as the end approaches and he doesn't need to leave anything in the tank.

« Reply #2958 on: 23 December, 2015, 03:14:08 pm »
I doubt he'll be wanting to come here again in a hurry in the coming years. He also now knows something that none of us know - what it takes in reality to get to where he is right now. He must feel blessed to a degree. He's had his scares along the way, it could have been so very different and now the finish really is in sight. Now matter how exhausted he feels, all those factors grouped together must be a massive boast psychologically. I can't see anything other than huge amounts of adrenaline pumping through his veins over the next couple of weeks. Time to make the most of the situation.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2959 on: 23 December, 2015, 03:45:25 pm »
& having done all this, he doesn't want to hold the record for just 8/12 months. He must want to put it beyond reach (as far as he can)

« Reply #2960 on: 23 December, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »
I get the impression he's really enjoying this final run-in, and that he really appreciates and responds to the social benefits of riding in a group with like-minded (and fast and fit) riders. I think he'll, if anything, up the pace a bit as the end approaches and he doesn't need to leave anything in the tank.

+1 just reading his (or Alicia`s ) post on FB and it reads like he`s having a real great and fun time, plenty of cycling mates with him, some sprints during laps at Flatwoods, averaging 20 mph it`s all incredible what he`s done and is still doing. Alicia seems to be a wonderful motivating / inspiring / organising force behind Kurt too---lessons maybe for Steve and his team to consider with Steve`s attempt? Although that`s of course another thread !
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2961 on: 24 December, 2015, 12:00:58 pm »
According to farcebook - Kurt is up for having a go at the 100.000 mark if there is money in the pot :)

people have asked me what it would take for me to go from the 100,000 mile records. Its simple $$$. If you can find someone to pay my expenses which will be about 100K and acceptable salary of 100K which is base salary of pro rider (non of whom could do this) plus a 200K bonus if I beat the 500 day mark. So if some can find me this sponsor I'm in otherwise I have to go back to work.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

LMT

« Reply #2962 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:16:08 pm »
wow.

« Reply #2963 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »
According to farcebook - Kurt is up for having a go at the 100.000 mark if there is money in the pot :)

people have asked me what it would take for me to go from the 100,000 mile records. Its simple $$$. If you can find someone to pay my expenses which will be about 100K and acceptable salary of 100K which is base salary of pro rider (non of whom could do this) plus a 200K bonus if I beat the 500 day mark. So if some can find me this sponsor I'm in otherwise I have to go back to work.

There are a lot of poor people in The Unite States - there are plenty of rich people too.
Be careful what you wish for....you might get it! :)
Garry Broad

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2964 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:49:16 pm »
Quite. Whatever the state of his knee, that looked like another 225 mile day yesterday. It's looking as though he will be adding about 5 days' riding to the record, so another 1100 or so on top. The question is, will he ride right up to midnight on 9th Jan? He could finish with a 300 mile day if he did.

I reckon he'll get about 90 minutes sleep on the night of the 8th, though he might go for a luxurious 3 hours.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2965 on: 24 December, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
So $400000. There are plenty of rich US types for whom that sort of cash is pocket money. It just takes one of them to bite...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2966 on: 24 December, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
So $400000. There are plenty of rich US types for whom that sort of cash is pocket money. It just takes one of them to bite...

But FFS not Donald Trump, else we'll all have to take back the nice things we've said about Kurt O:-)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2967 on: 25 December, 2015, 12:26:19 am »
Has Kurt finished or the day, I wonder? 165 miles on the tracker.

« Reply #2968 on: 25 December, 2015, 12:33:42 am »
Facebook says 228.7.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2969 on: 25 December, 2015, 12:45:57 am »

LMT

« Reply #2970 on: 25 December, 2015, 07:04:28 am »
368k in a little over 10 and a half hours.

Awesome.

« Reply #2971 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:13:26 am »
 :thumbsup:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2972 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:59:02 am »
Merry Christmas Kurt and Alicia, have a great day.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2973 on: 25 December, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »
Kurt's already been on the road an hour and three-quarters and is either dawdling or hammering, depending on whether you believe SPOT or Google.  I am now convinced the latter has been drinking.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2974 on: 25 December, 2015, 05:54:48 pm »
Merry Christmas Kurt - almost there now.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)