Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460758 times)

paul851

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3000 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:13:36 pm »
Interesting that earlier in the year Kurt only had Alicia for support and Steve had the massed ranks of AUK egging him on , now it looks as if Steve will finish his first attempt tonight rather quietly whilst Kurt has more and more riders eager to help him finish.

Paul

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3001 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:36:18 pm »
Paul,
There are dozens of support messages posted for Steve this week here and on FB. Quick example (from an AUK trophy winner):
... Well done Steve you are such an inspiration and I genuinely can't believe how you have continued to ride massive distances daily with everything that has happened on the illness, injury and weather fronts. You will be talked about for years and decades to come and you have reawakened the interest in the HAMR.  It's been amazing to watch from the sidelines.

Meanwhile there is now at least as much cash coming in (via SOs) as on Jan 1st.

I'll let you analyse how much Kurt's support has increased, and why that might be ...  ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3002 on: 31 December, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »
I would imagine that they are good cyclists from the UMCA or other top local cyclists.

I think you might be underselling some of them

If you Google John and Jacquie Schlitter (renowned recumbent riders) you'll not find many people with better credentials for helping Kurt.

https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam2.php?N_webcat_id=51

John appears in various RAAM records

http://vitebikes.com/jacquie-schlitters-impressive-accomplishments-ultra-racing/

When they ride with him you can expect high mileage and high speed

https://www.strava.com/activities/455812530

Fortunately for anyone hoping to beat Kurt I think they've only ridden a handful of times around Flatwoods with him.

« Reply #3003 on: 31 December, 2015, 06:24:50 pm »
Which threads on YACF have had more views than this one, will it top 200,000?

paul851

« Reply #3004 on: 31 December, 2015, 07:27:22 pm »
Paul,
There are dozens of support messages posted for Steve this week here and on FB. Quick example (from an AUK trophy winner):
... Well done Steve you are such an inspiration and I genuinely can't believe how you have continued to ride massive distances daily with everything that has happened on the illness, injury and weather fronts. You will be talked about for years and decades to come and you have reawakened the interest in the HAMR.  It's been amazing to watch from the sidelines.

Meanwhile there is now at least as much cash coming in (via SOs) as on Jan 1st.

I'll let you analyse how much Kurt's support has increased, and why that might be ...  ;)

Very true Matt , probably just me feeling melancholy at the year's end and wishing Steve could have had the finish we where all hoping for I think .

Paul

« Reply #3005 on: 31 December, 2015, 08:47:13 pm »
I would imagine that they are good cyclists from the UMCA or other top local cyclists.

Just took a look at the UMCA website. Couldn't find Ms Coker there, but Randel and Miller are members. Randel has some 200+ mile 12 hr races and Miller has some 400+ mile 24 hr races and one 400 mile race well under 24hrs.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3006 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:38:07 pm »
At the beginning of the year Kurt was little-known over here, and I got the impression that quite a few people were reluctant to believe that he could seriously compete with Steve in the endurance cycling business. Over the course of the year he's obviously proved himself an incredible rider, and his and Alicia's story, told largely on Facebook, has generated much interest and warmth towards them both, and widespread admiration for their approach and their success. The closer the successful end of the year comes, the more the story gets out and the more interest is generated, and it's thoroughly deserved.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3007 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:29:28 am »
Alicia and the little known team Tarzan has done wonders and amazing thing this last year, bloody awzome :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3008 on: 01 January, 2016, 07:12:59 am »
Another 226 yesterday. About 800 to do.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #3009 on: 01 January, 2016, 07:49:17 am »
... told largely on Facebook, has generated much interest and warmth towards them both, and widespread admiration ...

They genuinely come across as likable people.

Wishing them success in their marriage.

« Reply #3010 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:11:08 pm »

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #3011 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »
... told largely on Facebook, has generated much interest and warmth towards them both, and widespread admiration ...

They genuinely come across as likable people.

Wishing them success in their marriage.

+1

It's been good fun following their adventure and watching the Facebook feeds over the year!
Will miss following Kurt's daily progress!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3012 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:59:01 pm »
Does he plan a ride up to the White House on 9th Jan, to meet Mr. President?

Or, as a resident of Arkansas, would it be more likely that he will enjoy his cigar with ex-president Clinton?

hillbilly

« Reply #3013 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:37:05 am »

Or, as a resident of Arkansas, would it be more likely that he will enjoy his cigar with ex-president Clinton?

Good god, yACF has changed. Cigar. Clinton. And nobody alluded to *that* incident.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3014 on: 02 January, 2016, 10:09:12 am »
It's been good fun following their adventure and watching the Facebook feeds over the year!
So will I. Given Alicia's recent demonstration of form how about returning the favor in 2017 eh Kurt?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

TimC

« Reply #3015 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:22:19 am »
So will I. Given Alicia's recent demonstration of form how about returning the favor in 2017 eh Kurt?

Perhaps Steve can borrow both of them; Kurt to pace him and Alicia to provide RV-based support?!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3016 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:35:09 am »
from Facebook

Started out with 50 miles solo before meeting up with Amanda Coker and Chris Miller before lunch. Alicia Searvogel, Phil, Kim Rowe, Rubin Randel where working it for afternoon. Amanda PR 145 miles and Alicia had a pr of 21mph average for 50 miles.

Does anyone know who these people are? With the speeds/distances they're riding, I have a hard time believing they're just random riders that Kurt is latching onto.

While good, it's worth pointing out that a 21 mph 50 isn't exceptional pro-level performance either, more the sort of thing you'd expect to find in the racing section of any decent club. 

FYI, the British 50 mile TT records are 31.7 and 28.1 mph for men and women respectively, both set by amateur riders. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3017 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:47:04 am »

Good god, yACF has changed. Cigar. Clinton. And nobody alluded to *that* incident.

You don't think that it was a coincidence that I used both those c-words in the same sentence, do you?  ;)

« Reply #3018 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:49:21 am »
from Facebook

Started out with 50 miles solo before meeting up with Amanda Coker and Chris Miller before lunch. Alicia Searvogel, Phil, Kim Rowe, Rubin Randel where working it for afternoon. Amanda PR 145 miles and Alicia had a pr of 21mph average for 50 miles.

Does anyone know who these people are? With the speeds/distances they're riding, I have a hard time believing they're just random riders that Kurt is latching onto.

While good, it's worth pointing out that a 21 mph 50 isn't exceptional pro-level performance either, more the sort of thing you'd expect to find in the racing section of any decent club. 

FYI, the British 50 mile TT records are 31.7 and 28.1 mph for men and women respectively, both set by amateur riders.
I bet those aren't set by a 53-year-old.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3019 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:55:09 am »
Tsk, mrcharly, one should never ask, or reveal, the Age of a Lady.

But I bet the BRITISH TT record holder wasn't living on the road for a year before setting it either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3020 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:32:41 pm »
from Facebook

I bet a UK 53yo has ridden closer to 31mph than to 21.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LMT

« Reply #3021 on: 02 January, 2016, 01:27:49 pm »
from Facebook

I bet a UK 53yo has ridden closer to 31mph than to 21.

Who cares.

Go tarzan.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3022 on: 02 January, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »

<LMT posts something>

Who cares?

Go Kurt/Steve!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

TimC

« Reply #3023 on: 02 January, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »
from Facebook

I would have thought that any fit, reasonably talented and experienced rider could expect to maintain evens in a group of similar riders on a flat course in decent weather. I'm not decrying Alicia's achievement - I've never had the opportunity to record something similar, but I have ridden in groups at higher speeds than that well into my 50s, so I don't find it at all surprising that she can do it too! My ex-wife, also an amateur who's never raced at all (but is a lot faster than me), can maintain a similar average over 100km in a group with her male clubmates over typically lumpy Suffolk B and C roads. She's 50.

« Reply #3024 on: 02 January, 2016, 02:22:02 pm »

<LMT posts something>

Who cares?

Go Kurt/Steve!

Don't forget Dr. Berkeley.   Are there any other riders currently in a challenge?  I have to admit that I've not been paying proper attention.    :-[