Author Topic: A visit to Dog Trust  (Read 32079 times)

Re: A visit to Dog Trust
« Reply #175 on: 04 December, 2014, 09:19:05 am »
Just a comment on crates in general. Our current resident, Harvey the whippet, came to us at 13 months and we were told by the breeder (puppy framer in reality) that he would benefit from having a crate to retreat to and that has very much been the case. He can go days without using it but when I was getting up to let our old boy out at 2am Harvey was most often curled up in his crate, in a little nest he had rumpled up around himself.

If someone he takes an instant dislike to comes into our living room and running a guest house this happens quite often Harvey either does not get up to greet or he retreats into his crate, his safety zone.

We are bringing our new lad Alby home from his family on Saturday and we are buying a "dog cave" for him and also setting up a 2nd crate so if he wants he has a choice.

In our experience dogs love having a safety zone and Harvey often takes himself off to bed before we do and it is far from uncommon for him to choose the crate so where the cruel element comes in we cannot see.

PH

Bees do nothing invariably.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #176 on: 04 December, 2014, 10:34:18 am »
Oh yes creates are good. I have never used it before, just a dog bed in a corner. We got a create for Tilley with a fleecy blanket thrown over. She often goes in there on her own, mostly to protest that we are not paying her enough attention. At night we only have to say "go dodo" and she goes in happily and the only sound we hear is her dreaming.

Beautiful dog there PH :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #177 on: 04 December, 2014, 10:45:11 am »
They look like a good idea.

I talked to MrsC last night - she was a bit flabbergasted since I've previously been against owning a dog.

The youngest (who has ME) has a few times said we should have a dog. He spends a lot of time sat alone in his room playing computer games and at his worst just immobile on the sofa. The cat would curl up with him then and he welcomed it. I think a dog would provide some companionship for him that he simply doesn't get. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #178 on: 04 December, 2014, 10:50:35 am »
Layla never settled in her crate at night, she'd cry and howl for hours. Tried for a couple of months before admitting defeat and now she sleeps in her basket, or, more usually, on the sofa

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #179 on: 04 December, 2014, 10:51:40 am »
They look like a good idea.

I talked to MrsC last night - she was a bit flabbergasted since I've previously been against owning a dog.

The youngest (who has ME) has a few times said we should have a dog. He spends a lot of time sat alone in his room playing computer games and at his worst just immobile on the sofa. The cat would curl up with him then and he welcomed it. I think a dog would provide some companionship for him that he simply doesn't get. 

That was part of our rationale for getting a dog, we just have one son and the dog was partly company for him. Helps that he loves dogs!

« Reply #180 on: 04 December, 2014, 04:04:01 pm »
We bought a "dog cave" made in the UK btw, and Harvey assessed it and with in ten minutes....Thanks Mum!

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #181 on: 04 December, 2014, 06:11:17 pm »
Having a dog as a kid was good for me. We moved around a bit, so the first few weeks where I didn't know anyone or when I got bullied, I had the dog to go to. I have read that a lot of kids/adults who suffers from illnesses, are generally better when there is dog about to pet or play with.

Don't show that dog cave to Peli, she will get it for Tilley :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #182 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:21:08 am »
Poppy loves her crate and will go in it to sleep at night.

Mind you, I have not seen a dog cave before - I reckon she'd like one of those for Christmas if I can find one in Germany!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #183 on: 07 December, 2014, 09:12:55 am »
Jack never got on with his crate/cave - but I think he may have been kept locked up in a crate before we got him.  He sleeps in bed with us... :-[

My sister, who is a dog behaviourist, uses crates for her two (both of whom the Dogs Trust thought they couldn't rehome) and they love them.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #184 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:58:12 am »
Pete (who is a cat, not a dog, or at least a stomach in a cat-shaped suit) spends most of his time on his cat bed which is next to me on the sofa. But when he wants to retreat, he lies in a big cardboard box which I have put a fleece into, and I make it a rule not to disturb him while he's in there. I think they all like a safe place to go to.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #185 on: 07 December, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »
We did quite a bit of training to get Tilley to like her crate. It also has a memory foam bed, loads of fleecy blankets and a blanket over the top so it's dark and comfy in there. We leave her in there with a kong/stuffed hooves when we go out and she is gradually getting better at being alone. She's been OK for up to three hours so far, but this has taken a lot of hard work.

However, as I have gone soft over the past few weeks, and worried about her getting cold at night, she's been snuggled up with us. She generally tends to sleep at the bottom of the bed, with her head poking out from under the duvet.  ::-)

« Reply #186 on: 08 December, 2014, 10:13:07 am »
MrsC is not receptive to the idea of a dog (and as she'd be the one who would end up walking it most mornings I can understand why).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #187 on: 07 September, 2015, 06:05:03 pm »
Wow it was two years ago we picked up Tilley today. What joy, fun she is. Really grown into become a right Diva, not that we have stopped her becoming one :)

We can now take out on a good walk, nearly loose lead, though she will tell me off for not walking her before 8am. She bosses us around with telling us when too cook and when to get off our computers and sit down and watch telly, as in so that she can get to lay on my lap and get belly rubs.

http://woofy.woollypigs.com/2015/09/gotcha-day-mark-two/

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #188 on: 07 September, 2015, 07:27:07 pm »
She's lovely.  I love her  :)

Happy Gotcha Day lovely Tilly.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #189 on: 07 September, 2015, 07:31:17 pm »
She rather likes you, too.  :-*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #190 on: 07 September, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »
She is an absolute delight. So is Tilley.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #191 on: 08 September, 2015, 01:39:48 pm »
The other Tillly has just discovered peanut butter, it appears to be like crack cocaine for dogs !
I bunged up the hole in a Kong with crunchy peant butter put some kibble in it and some water then bunged up the other end with another blob of peanut butter and froze it.
She is now locked in her run/crate and the only sound is licking, lots of licking.
She really should have a snooze as we have just had a mad half hour in the garden.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #192 on: 08 September, 2015, 01:43:07 pm »
Haha, peanut butter Kongs used to be Tilley's favourite thing. Then she discovered roast chicken and salmon... #spoiledrotten

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #193 on: 08 September, 2015, 01:47:52 pm »
Careful with some Kong's make sure that there is another hole, might have to drill one. So that the mutt can't created a vacuum and get tongue stuck. I hear a Kong Ball are really bad.

« Reply #194 on: 08 September, 2015, 01:58:12 pm »
Careful with some Kong's make sure that there is another hole, might have to drill one. So that the mutt can't created a vacuum and get tongue stuck. I hear a Kong Ball are really bad.

This one has a big hole at one end and a small one at the other.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #195 on: 11 September, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »
Jack knows exactly what the 'K' word means and will run off and bring you one expectantly, if you say it in his hearing...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #196 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:56:15 pm »
Three years gotcha day for Tilley

Loads of pictures here - http://woofy.woollypigs.com/2016/09/three-is-the-magic-number/

My favourite of the lot

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #197 on: 07 September, 2016, 10:06:09 pm »
Awww lovely Tilly  :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #198 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:05:26 pm »
Today is Tilley's fourth birthday, well a guesstimate birthday. And today we got from the lovely NSTNB, Rob and Jane this. Totally captures her look and smile.

Thanks a million!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #199 on: 01 February, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »

5 years today and celebrated with a popcake :)

Head over here - https://www.instagram.com/woollypigs/ - to get bored of snaps of her :)