Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 281878 times)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #475 on: 03 October, 2018, 05:24:14 pm »
Silly question (that I should have asked before going out for the ride), but does a DIY 200 count towards your points and for a Brevet 1000 award?

My first DIY ever does now show up in the table on my results page, but is not included in the total points and "rides listed"; it does show "16 (1 are perms)" but it is still "3x200" as it was last week.

Yes, your 200 will count but it may just be a bit of a system bug or lag, my final ride of the season, the Border Castles 200 is on the results list but the 2 points have not been added to the total.  There is usually a lag between the ride being logged and I think the points go on after midnight but it's been like this for a couple of days, I might raise it on the AUK forum if it doesn't correct itself.

« Reply #476 on: 07 November, 2018, 01:15:36 pm »
Hi, I am thinking about heading to Cornwall over the xmas break and have 5 rides/routes which initially I hope to do as leisurely rides - but then I thought if there is Audax points to be had why not claim them! 
Then I got thinking about AAA points, but not having factored that into a DIY by GPS before I wonder if any of this basic information below would even satisfy AAA-criteria? And thirdly do I have do anything special to claim the AAA points or do I just submit the entry form and gpx/route as normal?

Day 1 - 94km - 1574m total ascent
Day 2 - 143km - 1302m total ascent
Day 3 - 131km - 1374m total ascent
Day 4 - 141km - 1202m total ascent
Day 5 - is a perm

Total ascent values are through BikeHide recalculation of data.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #477 on: 08 November, 2018, 07:03:17 am »
No need to do anything special - just your DIY-by-GPS entry as usual.

Your track will get AAA assessment if there seems a chance of AAAs.

"Day 1" looks more likely than the others to reach the 15m/km AAA threshold http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaavnts/aaaqual/

AAA-ness is difficult to predict http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaaclmb/

Enjoy wonderful Cornish Climbing!

« Reply #478 on: 08 November, 2018, 08:00:08 am »
Thank you, not seen that first link; because like many of the pages it's not in the main menu or hard to navigate to!

The second table is very useful.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #479 on: 04 February, 2019, 01:49:34 pm »
Question on the return of cards with Perms...

I recently purchased via online entry a Brevet Card for a perm. After completing the event is it standard practice to send a SAE to the organiser to return the validated card or is this included in the charge?

I realise that some perms are the same price for either online or postal entry, however for postal entry you're required to send two SAE. The instructions for online entry don't elude to this.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #480 on: 21 March, 2019, 09:19:33 am »
It varies by perm organiser.  Most will ask you to include an SAE if you want your validated brevet card back.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #481 on: 21 March, 2019, 09:22:49 am »
Le Tour de neuf Cheval Blancs next Friday (29th). 

This caught my eye as initially I thought it must be in France, but it turns out to be a tour of 9 white horses in the chalk hills of Wessex.  Lots of familiar roads but joined up in different ways.  Will ride from home to start in Alresford about 6am and see how it goes.  Hopefully will be a nice 300 for my how-to-fit-in-an-SR-series-when-you-are-not-doing-PBP year. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #482 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:58:41 am »
Having abandoned the 2019 London Wales London 400km for reasons beyond my control  :'(, I'm planning to do this ride again as DIY Audax in July, preferably on a Saturday following the original route mostly, but avoiding some hills. The pace will be moderate, 20kmph moving average (not a fast rider, sorry  ;D).

Start: Chalfont St Peter
Distance: 407km
Preferred Day: Saturday 
Date: 20 or 27 July (flexible)
Start time: Flexible

Please let me know if you're interested.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #483 on: 18 May, 2019, 01:08:47 pm »
Just in case ... you do know about the Bare Bones version, I guess? http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-307/ 25th May
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #484 on: 19 May, 2019, 12:10:29 pm »
Matt, thanks. Can’t do the barebones or in June hence seeking for buddy in July  :thumbsup:

« Reply #485 on: 19 May, 2019, 12:54:07 pm »
I did the same as you, had a mechanical at 70km so didn't finish,  as i live very close to the start i was also think of riding it as a Diy,. If you are still looking for company the End of July works for me ?

Regards

Colin.

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #486 on: 19 May, 2019, 07:23:29 pm »
Thats great Colin, thanks  :thumbsup:

Please check your PM.

« Reply #487 on: 12 August, 2019, 09:48:28 pm »
I did a DIY by GPS on Sunday.  I submitted my route to the organiser at the beginning of the week but had no confirmation that the ride has been registered.  I went ahead and did the ride, uploading my GPX track.  I am assuming he is away on holiday, maybe making his way to Rambouillet and it will processed later.

« Reply #488 on: 13 August, 2019, 07:06:47 am »
... but had no confirmation that the ride has been registered.

If your entry is successfully submitted, you get an auto-reply confirming it.

« Reply #489 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:44:48 am »
... but had no confirmation that the ride has been registered.

If your entry is successfully submitted, you get an auto-reply confirming it.

Entered a DIY for 1st August. Confirmation page on AUK worked as expected but I didn't get the usual confirmation email. However, the organiser had received the entry.

Anyone else not getting confirmation emails?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #490 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:00:43 am »
Thanks for posting. Anyone else? Do please say, here or (better) on the AUK site.

It worked ok for me just now.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #491 on: 03 October, 2019, 02:55:42 pm »
Can someone kindly link me to where it is explained how to make a DIY into a BR/BRM qualifying ride in order to count towards RRTY?  The FAQ for DIYs on the new website just points me here.  Feels very circular!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #492 on: 03 October, 2019, 03:14:27 pm »
By default, DIYs of 200km and over are validated as BRs and so count towards RRTY and other AUK awards. No special action is required to stake a claim for DIYs; they are counted in exactly the same way Calendar events do, there is no distinction.

Perms - listed events and DIYs - are not registered with ACP and do not count as BRMs or otherwise contribute towards ACP awards, qualifying for PBP, whatever.

All the best, Paul Stewart, DIY Org, South East Region

« Reply #493 on: 03 October, 2019, 03:26:53 pm »
Beaten to it by the excellent Manotea; but here's my version of the same:

Any DIY of 200km or more is normally* a BR. (Minimum average speed 14.3km/hour for DIY 200s to 600s; speeds for longer distances in section 9 of the regs, which can be found by clicking "Directory", bottom right of this page:  https://www.audax.uk/about-us/  )

*There's such a thing as a BP 200, with a lower minimum speed, but it's unusual.

(There isn't such a thing as a BRM DIY.)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #494 on: 29 November, 2019, 06:11:45 pm »
Contemplating EL's 1000 next year either a Sutton Scotney start so can ride from home in Basingstoke or Chichester and ride from my caravan in Selsey.   Would stay in Travelodge or equivalents with sleep stops at 375km and, 730km

« Reply #495 on: 18 December, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »
Starting this month I am planning a RRTY of the classic Snow Roads Perm... SRRRTY if you will.

The current ground conditions are suitably snowy to kick off such a silly endeavor. Studded tyres going on tonight.

FifeingEejit is joining me this weekend, but anyone else interested over the next year get in touch

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #496 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:49:22 pm »
Might it now be OK to allow mandatory route 200km DIY's by GPS in England ( totally) to be validated?  :P

« Reply #497 on: 20 May, 2020, 06:00:20 am »
The latest thoughts from the Board are here:

http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=1868.0

« Reply #498 on: 06 July, 2020, 09:57:40 am »
Updating Tony's post:
Chairman Audax UK's statement (17 June) is here:
https://www.audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-17-june-2020/
An extract relevant to DIYs is:
"following an AUK Board meeting earlier this week, we plan to recommence validating Permanent and DIY AUK rides of up to 200km from August 1st.
"It may be that a particular region or part of the UK is still (or becomes) subject to local restrictions that would prevent either re-commencement on the 1st of August or the continuation of events at some later point. In that instance, our intention would be to, in effect, "quarantine" that region, while still allowing events elsewhere. Permanents ridden on foreign soil (PROFs) should only take place where they are explicitly permitted in the areas in which they take place.
"[Permanents/DIYs] will be open for entry on the audax.uk web site and/or by post from August 1st"
I think people are assuming that the plan announced 18 days ago will turn into a formal decision and action announced on or before 1 August. There is a Board meeting later this week aiui where confirmation of this plan (including how riders can enter a DIY at least the day before, before starting a ride at 0800 (say) on 1 August), the resumption of calendar events and extending the distance limit beyond 200km for Permanents/DIYs will no doubt all be on the agenda.

« Reply #499 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »
Does anybody know when you are able to access the website to submit a DIY by GPS.  I am planning to do one on 1 Aug