Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470998 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2500 on: 15 January, 2019, 12:22:40 pm »
Barakta's got actual work to do, so this rant left as an exercise for the reader...  But we went to the hospital at twirly o'clock this morning so they could do a steroid injection into the biceps tendon that it turns out (after some prodding about with the ultrasound scanner and a puzzled squint at the MRI) she hasn't got.   :facepalm:

(The VACTERL association bingo card is a bit like the list of potential side-effects for $random_scarydrug.  Once you discover a thing you can look and discover that, yep, it's on there, but as a list of things to look for it's so all-encompassing as to be practically useless.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2501 on: 15 January, 2019, 01:16:53 pm »
Radiologist++, he seemed to understand that the elbone is connected to the shoulder anatomy which seems to be a radical concept with some clinicians. I advised him that there were elbow MRIs which I'd had to "be rather persuasive" to get shoulder bods to order which he spent some time looking at. I believe I have the short head bit, but not the long head of the biceps tendon... Not sure about the elbow end of it thobut, will ask someone to show me the report next time I'm there which at this rate is next week or 25th Jan...

The idea of a numbered set of photos for the required arm positions was a good one, it meant that despite finding the radiologist difficult to hear (male, Indian, noisy ultrasound unit computer fan) I could work out which number he wanted. Kim signing at me later in the appointment while Radiologist was talking from across the room and with his back to me (bless!) got the point across. Annoyingly the accompanying radiographer who was female and English was also hard to hear cos she spoke really fast and a bit too quietly and gave no pre-amble so I wasn't parsing brilliantly...

Symptoms of a missing biceps tendon in the literature match mine - pain, difficulty lying on arm, instability - all a massive yep. Reaching up and tilting a mug to my face also painful. Have resorted to evil environment killing a straw to reduce tilting #NeedMyTea and that is helping...

Oh well, appt with arm/elbow bods in mid-March... Only taken them since October to get that appt through... July 2018 since I asked for shoulders AND elbows to be looked at cos they're all a "bit fucked"... Getting there, slowly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2502 on: 15 January, 2019, 02:22:54 pm »
Reaching up and tilting a mug to my face also painful. Have resorted to evil environment killing a straw to reduce tilting #NeedMyTea and that is helping...
Totally comprehending your pain on this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2503 on: 15 January, 2019, 02:29:02 pm »
That^^^. I only have a couple of buggered ligaments (or summat) under a shoulder blade but they can make life an aching misery. What you have to deal with sounds several hundred times worse.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2504 on: 15 January, 2019, 03:16:41 pm »
Reaching up and tilting a mug to my face also painful. Have resorted to evil environment killing a straw to reduce tilting #NeedMyTea and that is helping...
Totally comprehending your pain on this.

[OT] Plastic straws are light and hygienic. I don't think judicious, necessary use adds significantly to the plastic mountain problem. (Supermarket produce packaging is another matter.)

I have a metal 'ice cream spoon' which is long, spoon-ended straw (or straw-handled teaspoon). Dunno if you might find this useful.

barakta

« Reply #2505 on: 15 January, 2019, 08:32:59 pm »
Turns out there's only 5 or maybe 6 cases of absent biceps tendons reported in the literature... One of those is associated with my rare (1 in 10-40,000 ppl) syndrome. I shall see if I can get the paper which is in the American Journal of Orthopedics from 2002...

As for straws, I am well aware they're not actually evil, as a friend who worked for DEFRA researched, it's down to weight and purpose. We have an awful lot more single-use plasticky tat or things like coffee cup lids and unrecyclable coffee cups that should be reduced before picking on straws which benefit so many (disabled) people. Something like 75% of plastic waste in the sea is due to fishing net shreds or something bonkers like that. The whole (fucking) straw debate is virtue signalling and disablism on a huge scale!

Long handled stuff increases the leverage force so probably isn't helpful for me but yes I do pick my food and eating utensils carefully. I just eat with my hands some % of the time which I've been doing due to the elbow/wrist being problematic. I should probably type less, but that's just not something I'm willing to do - Dragon and I still do not get on.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2506 on: 15 January, 2019, 08:47:07 pm »
Eating with your hands is the tastiest way. Except for soup of course.

« Reply #2507 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:07:37 am »
I should probably type less, but that's just not something I'm willing to do - Dragon and I still do not get on.

Have you tried the latest version? I've used it at work and was surprised that it worked straight out of the box. With previous versions I've had to set up different profiles for various mic/location combinations and spend quite a bit of time training the software to those configurations.

I recently had to do a demo for some software developers to show the difficulties customers with impaired mobility have. There was a new machine with a new version of Dragon in the test lab so I decided to use that. Booted it up for a test run and was surprised that I could dictate with a very high degree of accuracy straight away.

Can't remember the latest version number but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

BTW - our accessibility expert reports Narrator in Windows is very good and getting better all the time.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

barakta

« Reply #2508 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:14:06 am »
Sadly I have tried v15 which is the latest. I do Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) assessments for a living so have a copy of Dragon 15 at work to show students.

The difficulty for me is that I'm severely deaf from birth and my speech isn't actually as consistent as most people think. Even when dictation software does work, it's inordinately tiring for me to use cos I have to really work at my speech. v13 pro which I had on my uni work computer sometimes worked but after 20 mins of dictating work I was exhausted and could no longer speak or think. I manage my energy levels by typing and reading which are much less tiring and don't need me to use my hearing aid...

I have to use a video to demo Dragon to my students cos I can't reliably get it to work for me. Colleagues all share the same profile for demoing and were boggling that it doesn't like my speech at all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2509 on: 16 January, 2019, 03:20:40 pm »
5k walk with MrsT this afternoon. On last 2.5 k I realized what a good thing it is that sphincters don't get cramp.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2510 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:03:42 pm »
5k walk with MrsT this afternoon. On last 2.5 k I realized what a good thing it is that sphincters don't get cramp.

BTDT arrived home without a sock  :facepalm:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2511 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
Better than an empty wallet or a very disgruntled goose.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2512 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:09:09 pm »
For some months I have had lumps on my scalp. I initially thought they were spots and didn't take much notice other than to think to myself "They are hanging around a long time." They are behind my head, so totally out of sight and very difficult to see even with two mirrors.

One day I was playing the piano when Dez, who happened to be passing, said "What are those lumps on your head?" "Spots," I replied. "No they're not."

He then photographed them and showed me and indeed they weren't. Off I went to the doc's.

Visit 1: steroids and the reassurance that it wasn't cancer.

Visit 2: stronger steroids.

Visit 3 (5th November): stronger steroids still and the executive decision that we'll come back to these after all your cardio tests are over.

Visit 4 (a week or two ago): different doctor. "I don't know what it is either. I'll refer you to a dermatologist."

Visit 5 (dermatologist, yesterday, on Canvey island!): "Hmmm. I think we need to send you for a biopsy to find out if it's what I think it is."

"What do you think it is?"

"It might be a form of cancer or it might be viral. You could need plastic surgery."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2513 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:50:49 pm »
Oh dear, WB!

Suspect these will need the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Most scalp lesions are fairly simple to remove and some respond to radiotherapy.

Hope all is sorted soon!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2514 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:00:14 pm »
My FiL had something similar. It wasn't cancer or a virus but it did need removing.

« Reply #2515 on: 17 January, 2019, 07:42:19 am »
You're a medical mystery, Wow! I'm surprised that a dermatologist couldn't identify the lesions.

I have what I am 99% certain are lipoma on my ribs. One has been there for years, has always been about 2cm across. Had that one checked by a doc way back and they said it was a cyst. The others are pea sized, maybe 3 or 4 of them. Tiny things and a bit difficult to find. MrsC thinks I should get them checked. I'm 99% certain they are just classic lipoma (i.e. lumps of harder fat).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2516 on: 17 January, 2019, 07:53:20 am »
@Wow: ouch.  I hope it can be dealt with simply and painlessly.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2517 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:32:21 pm »
The leader of "The Association for Knowledge about Vaccinations" (in Poland) has been found guilty of libel against a doctor on some national vaccination programme. Fines totaling about £3k. Ha!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2518 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:33:28 am »
The WHO has named anti-vaccination sentiment as one of the top 10 health threats facing the world in 2019.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2519 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:21:30 am »
I'm glad they're taking it seriously.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2520 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:57:42 pm »
+1

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2521 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/health/nhs-gout-tuberculosis-scarlet-fever-2449042
Hundreds of people in <insert place name here> are being admitted to hospital with 'Victorian' diseases like gout, tuberculosis, and scarlet fever.

Exclusive figures from NHS Digital show there were at least 260 occasions in 2017/18 when people were treated as inpatients for one of 13 Victorian diseases.

They are classed as “Victorian” because they were commonly found in the 19th century, when poverty was rife. The figures count what the NHS refers to as “finished admission episodes” in 2017/18.
Gout a disease of poverty? Surely a disease of overly rich eating not poverty?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2522 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:58:04 pm »
The WHO has named anti-vaccination sentiment as one of the top 10 health threats facing the world in 2019.

Not big in the UK, but in Italy is all the newspapers talk about

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2523 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:49:13 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/health/nhs-gout-tuberculosis-scarlet-fever-2449042
Hundreds of people in <insert place name here> are being admitted to hospital with 'Victorian' diseases like gout, tuberculosis, and scarlet fever.

Exclusive figures from NHS Digital show there were at least 260 occasions in 2017/18 when people were treated as inpatients for one of 13 Victorian diseases.

They are classed as “Victorian” because they were commonly found in the 19th century, when poverty was rife. The figures count what the NHS refers to as “finished admission episodes” in 2017/18.
Gout a disease of poverty? Surely a disease of overly rich eating not poverty?

A disease of excess, previously the reserve of the privileged. Or maybe the gout of the poor simply wasn't noticed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2524 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:57:00 pm »
It lists "13 Victorian diseases".
Gout

Tuberculosis

Malnutrition

Whooping cough

Measles

Scurvy

Typhoid

Scarlet fever

Diphtheria

Mumps

Rickets

Cholera

Vitamin D deficiency.
Some are clearly linked to poverty, others I can't really see the connection.