Author Topic: So many choices!  (Read 3072 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
So many choices!
« on: 06 July, 2011, 12:05:16 pm »
I've decided it's time to start consider a GPS unit of some sort.  I'm in rush rush to buy one right away, but would like to pick something up by the end of the year.  This should give me plenty of time to learn all the ins and outs before a big trip next year.

I've had a trawl through this sub-forum, and looked at the 'which GPS?' threads, but still have questions.  I don't expect a “buy this specific model”, but any help in narrowing things down would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a random list of requirements:
* colour screen
* can take SD (or microSD)
* programme route
* trace where I've been
* maps for multiple countries (Europe, North America)
* can run live off dynamo/e-werk (dynamo by day, battery by night)
* bike computer functions
* 'sat-nav' feature would be nice
* I'd prefer to manage things via Linux, but also have a Windoze machine.

From what I've read, it appears I'd be looking at a Garmin of some sort, unless experience is that the SatMap is OK in British weather.

Your sage advice is greatly appreciated.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: So many choices!
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »
Your wish for bike computer functions drastically reduces the choice.  From Garmin, I think it's just the Edge 605 and 705 models that are cycling-specific.

You could instead use a conventional cycle computer for that.
 It's no big deal to have one fitted at the same time as a GPS.  In fact I do it even though I have a cycling-specific GPS (605).  Most non-cycling-specific models do have a "bike mode".

What about battery run time?  This is an important factor.  Do you do very long rides or touring?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »
Your wish for bike computer functions drastically reduces the choice.  From Garmin, I think it's just the Edge 605 and 705 models that are cycling-specific.
It depends on what you mean by cycle computer functions. Any of the eTrex series have a trip computer page which can tell you current speed, average speed, max speed, trip time, distance, elevation, time of day, grid reference etc.
Though they won't do cadence or heart rate. Something like the Dakota 20 would, with the optional sensors.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »
I added bike computer functions to save me combining data from two sources.  If I can find a unit I think is excellent but lacks bike functions I'd consider it.  Cadence and HRM would be nice, but not a requirement.

As for run time, the unit will be used for Audax and touring.  The bike I'll be using for such rides will have a hub dynamo and an e-werk, so power should be an issue.  But I would like it do handle a day ride (12-14 hrs?) on a single charge.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:30:11 pm »
I didn't realise the eTrexes had all that, sorry.  That's good news for Andrij then.
Your wish for bike computer functions drastically reduces the choice.  From Garmin, I think it's just the Edge 605 and 705 models that are cycling-specific.
It depends on what you mean by cycle computer functions. Any of the eTrex series have a trip computer page which can tell you current speed, average speed, max speed, trip time, distance, elevation, time of day, grid reference etc.
Though they won't do cadence or heart rate. Something like the Dakota 20 would, with the optional sensors.

I didn't realise the eTrexes had all that, sorry.  That's good news for Andrij then.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
I have an etrex legend hcx

It has all the nav features you've asked for, plus I think most of the 'bike computer' functions.

I can load multiple tracks, display them on the map, and have a totally separate ongoing record of trip time, distance, speed etc.

As for charging from the dynamo, I don't think any GPS manufacturer offers that as a feature. That requires a separate device.

I used my GPS on the tan hill ride, then to work and back plus a 15mile slow ride on sun. About 19-20 hours of use on one set of rechargeable AAs.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:38:33 pm »
If you want to go racing and want training gadgets, get a Garmin Edge 705/800. They run off a built in battery which dies after 12 hours or so, which means anything longer require some form of external battery pack and have a reputation for hanging/losing data and being operationally tricksy, none of which is necessarily an issue unless you are relying on it to validate a 600km GPS DIY in which case it is.

If you want to go audaxing/touring, get a Garmin Legend/Vista (which will run days off a pair of AAs (and will run off a external battery pack/e-werk if thats your fancy) as will the Oregon, though the AAs don't last so long (more functionlity to drive, including a HRM which is a very nice to have).

I currently have a Vista Cx (no HRM) which is 'fine' and just about bomb proof.  I'd only bother with an e-werk if I also (really) needed to charge other equipment on the road and had ~200squid to burn (e-werk plus stage battery).

The software on the current Vista is looking a bit dated nowadays but is not a stopper. The up side is the current model Legend/Vista is pretty cheap, especially on eBay. There is a new eTrex due in the fall which doubtless will have updated software but looks as though it may be more hiking specific.

That's it really. As always, YPYPATYC.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:40:02 pm »
The eTrexes have been kind-of superseded by the Oregon and Dakota series.  Some still like the button-centric UI of the eTrex (and early Edge) devices -- but if you don't have any experience with the older units, there's at least an argument that the touchscreen models (Oregon/Dakota/Edge 800) are much nicer.  Certainly, I think easier to learn.

I'm very happy with my Oregon 300.  Runs happily on AA NiMH batteries, with somewhere between 12-18 hours run time depending on backlight usage, etc.  So no problems on 200s and less, and will probably get you round a 300 if you turn the backlight off during daylight hours.  Easy to carry spares, and presumably no problem getting some kit to recharge from your dynohub.

The one downside is that I don't believe it can use GPXX files for routing, which rather limits the utility of the turn-by-turn navigation.  Edge-series units are (I hear) much better in this regard, and this is why I occasionally glance lustfully at the Edge 800.  I tend to just load a track and follow the purple line, but it's worth thinking about exactly what kind of routing/directions you're going to be using.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:48:03 pm »
I have an Edge 305 which is an old version similar to the current Edge 500 in functionality. It's a basic GPS tracker but a very good bike computer with HR and cadence sensor.
I also have an Etrex Legend HCX that I got solely for navigating but I guess would make a good bike computer on it's own (minus the HR and cadence sensors which aren't an option.) I opted for it as it has colour mapping (although I just follow the highlighted track option rather than routing) and runs off rechargeable AAs which is a consideration for multi day rides/camping/audaxes etc where I don't want to be tied to charging the thing every 12 hours.
If battery life wasn't an issue, i'd opt for the all-in-one Edge 800 as a good computer and navigational tool.
I guess it all depends on how much riding you do and if you do 12hr+ rides where you want to use a GPS.
There are options out there to extend battery life but I think it's not difficult to carry a few AA batteries and they're easily available worldwide.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:49:16 pm »
The one downside is that I don't believe it can use GPXX files for routing, which rather limits the utility of the turn-by-turn navigation.

That's interesting, and a negative for the Oregon if true. Not a show stopper possibly; it just requires a bit more thought to prepping routes.

Clicky

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »
The new Etrexes (10/20/30) are due out sometime around august - not that much detailed info on them at the mo', just basic specs (some piccies on the garmin site). Still button based, with a decent quoted runtime (25hrs).  The 30, at least, has Ant+ but I've seen nothing to confirm whether  that's for cadence or hrm..

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »
I'm an Oregon 450 user (I've had etrex and 705 in the past) and would highly recommend it. 

You can fit cadence sensor and heart rate if you want and the OSM maps are very very good. And it runs off AA batteries and has no track point limit.

No idea about the Linux.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:33:59 pm »
On the linux front, I have just bought a 705 and it works fine, plug it in, Linux sees it as a removeable storage device, so you can drag stuff off/put stuff on using standard file manager tools.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »
I would wait until the new eTrexes come out before making a decision.  In the absence of fatal flaws they could be just what you're looking for.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »
I would wait until the new eTrexes come out before making a decision.  In the absence of fatal flaws they could be just what you're looking for.

Well, as I'm in no rush I will see what the Autumn brings.

Thanks for all your comments.

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:32:59 pm »

Seconded.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48058.0

Otherwise: HCx for sure.

« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2011, 07:27:40 pm »

From what I've read, it appears I'd be looking at a Garmin of some sort, unless experience is that the SatMap is OK in British weather.

Your sage advice is greatly appreciated.
My SatMap Active 10 (bought as a gift for me by Mrs B a couple of years ago) has survived torrential rain, being splashed with mud, hard frosts, & hot sunny days (insofar as we have such things in the UK) without mishap. The only weather-related problem I've found is that the screen isn't easy to read in bright sunlight, though turning off the back light completely can improve things when the sun's very bright.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897