Author Topic: Strava & Memory Map  (Read 2414 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Strava & Memory Map
« on: 10 February, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »
I'm trying to work out how to get a route (or track) created with Memory Map (just plotted with the mouse) to upload as a Strava "activity" - so far I've tried route and track and then various conversions to .gpx and .fit formats - BUT they get an error when loading to Strava.

Strava has the option to "load a file from your PC" ... that's what I've done.

My Garmin 200 accepts the routes I load to (and can follow on a ride)

Strava sees rides that the Garmin (when connected)  has recorded and uploads them.

... it may be, I suppose, that Strava will only upload files from the PC that have been ridden, and thus have a time etc against them .. and not just a route?

[The objective is to create some Strava segments that can be used with our events ... keeping them "private" until just before the event day - we then have a quasi-timing mechanism.   Presumably if my surmise on route + time data is correct we'll have to go out and capture the route sections with the Garmin gadget?]

All help appreciated ..

Rob   - Confused of Stratford!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: Strava & Memory Map
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2013, 05:10:11 pm »
You've answered your own question.  What you can upload to Strava are tracks that you've ridden and these will include speed, height, time, etc.  The tracks you create with memory map won't have these vital bits of info.

My question is why would you want to upload tracks that you haven't ridden to Strava?

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2013, 05:19:40 pm »
You've answered your own question.  What you can upload to Strava are tracks that you've ridden and these will include speed, height, time, etc.  The tracks you create with memory map won't have these vital bits of info.

My question is why would you want to upload tracks that you haven't ridden to Strava?

That's what I thought. 

And the question you pose is answered in the [   ]  in my post ... the events have about 500 riders and we're using Strava as a timing mechanism for the adrenalin junkies.     

I'll just have to go and ride it all to capture the routes ... at least the time will be easy to beat as I'll be tootling along on my tourer  :thumbsup:

Thanks

Rob

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:21:34 am »
Upload your Track to BikeRouteToaster and then download it again - it will come down with timestamps and elevations added.

(You can set a road speed of your choice in BRT prior to download)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »
Upload your Track to BikeRouteToaster and then download it again - it will come down with timestamps and elevations added.

Brilliant - does EXACTLY what I wanted to do!

Thanks

Rob

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2013, 02:53:06 pm »
The BRT timestamps always start at 00:00

If you want to offset them to a realistic 'start time' say 09:00 that can be done too, I think via GPS Visualizer (using the 'advanced options')

« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2013, 11:58:33 am »

Maybe that explains why I am not KOM for any Strava segments ;-)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
 ;) :)