Author Topic: Camera-Phone Photos  (Read 120425 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Camera-Phone Photos
« Reply #175 on: 13 August, 2013, 04:30:48 pm »
That is rather nice.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

« Reply #176 on: 14 August, 2013, 10:33:17 am »
That is rather nice.
Thanks, I'll take that as high praise indeed.

We were out walking through Hampshire fields one evening when a thunderstorm rolled in.  30 minutes later were were getting truly soaked but this was at that magical time when you are stood in bright sun watching someone else, a few miles away, getting soaked.

It's possibly the first photo I've taken on a phone that I don't regret not having a "proper" camera with me.

That's 30% down to the improvement in Camera-Phones but 70% down to the ambient conditions matching the phone's capabilities nicely.

They still don't do a very good job with less than perfect lighting.  I think the trick is to understand your phone's capabilities and you can squeeze a decent photo out of them occasionally. 

Of course any photo is sometimes better than none and I have some fairly awful images, but of some lovely memories, courtesy of my phone.

« Reply #177 on: 14 September, 2013, 11:21:53 am »
Here one from my initial crop of photos from my first smartphone (Huawei Ascend Y300) 

5MP camera.  I needed to set WB cloudy, as auto was too undersaturated, and also took the exposure down to -1 (as DR not great as expected).  Sharpened a tad in Picasa.

Not too bad really, considering the fingerprint on lens I've just noticed.  ;)

IMG_20130914_110857 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #178 on: 14 September, 2013, 12:19:34 pm »

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #179 on: 30 September, 2013, 12:54:37 pm »
By luck rather than judgement:

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LEE

« Reply #180 on: 09 October, 2013, 10:47:10 am »

Quarley, St Michael's Church
HTC Desire S

I think the sweaty lens (phone stuffed in rear pocket) added to the effect rather than subtracted from it.

I'm finding that, with my "old" HTC and my Wife's new Samsung, if you take 5-10 photos at various settings/metering you tend to come away with a couple of decent photos, good enough for full screen display on a large monitor.  Certainly capable of more than a 10x8" size print.

In that respect they have definitely moved on from the "crap but better than nothing at all" device of just a few years ago.

Ambient light is still the limiting factor, I've yet to see one deal with difficult lighting conditions well.  I don't see the point of a LOMO camera when most camera phones exhibit most of the (desirable?) image issues of a LOMO camera/film (or have a built-in LOMO filter).

« Reply #181 on: 09 October, 2013, 11:14:36 am »
That looks great - New Forest?

« Reply #182 on: 09 October, 2013, 11:17:35 am »
htc wildfire s any idea what it is

Loafer, I've only just seen this; it's a swallow-tail moth.

LEE

« Reply #183 on: 09 October, 2013, 11:18:33 am »
That looks great - New Forest?

About 30km north of NF.

« Reply #184 on: 09 October, 2013, 11:42:48 am »
Yes, sorry, I didn't notice you'd put the place!

« Reply #185 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:54:51 pm »
htc wildfire s any idea what it is

Loafer, I've only just seen this; it's a swallow-tail moth.

thanks peter  :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #186 on: 24 October, 2013, 10:17:00 am »
I am very very pleased with this from my old HTC Desire S

It's "The Holy Trinity" taken last night into a very interesting sky.  Just sharpened a touch but nothing else.

The Holy Trinity?

(click to show/hide)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #187 on: 19 December, 2013, 08:16:26 am »
The moon rise, at my digs, a couple of nights ago:

ETA: photo taken with a HTC One
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

« Reply #188 on: 01 January, 2014, 02:12:58 pm »
Any photos from your new Christmas toys?

Interested to see iPhone 5 and especially the new Nokia Lumia 41Mp

LEE

« Reply #189 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »
Interesting article from DPREVIEW

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5533410947/smartphones-versus-dslr-versus-film?page=4

Summary

It’s sobering to look back at the old reviews of the cameras that we included. The earliest, the Canon EOS10D was a marvel of 2003. Phil Askey from DPReview described it as “the absolute best in its class, with the best image quality, lowest high sensitivity noise, superb build quality and excellent price.” He described the “Excellent resolution”, the “Noise free ‘silky smooth’ images”, with “very low noise levels even at ISO 1600.” The EOS 10D ran rings around the film that we’d been using for 50 years in terms of clarity and freedom from grain.

Yet it’s comprehensively humbled by modern phones. The iPhone out-shoots it, and the Nokia out-resolves it, all by huge margins.

David Martin

« Reply #190 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »

IMAG1937 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

This morning on my way in.

LEE

« Reply #191 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:06:19 pm »

HTC Desire S ?

It's done a nice job of difficult light.  The detail in the tree branches is ridiculous for a "pin hole" lens.

Just looking at your FLIKR stuff.  Apart from the obvious telephoto lens, it's not obvious, quality wise, where the HTC photos run into the D80 photos.

I'm tempted to drive out to a favourite photo spot, armed with all my family's cast off phones and do a head-to-head.

LEE

« Reply #192 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »

It feels like years since it's been here..... by  DJB, on Flickr

The world revolving around you by  DJB, on Flickr

iPhone 5 according to FLIKR (running some in-camera effects.)

Stunning I think.

« Reply #193 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »
Thanks Lee, too kind :thumbsup:

Love playing with my iphone. It's all I use now, always with me too unlike my dslrs.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

David Martin

« Reply #194 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:56:46 pm »

HTC Desire S ?

It's done a nice job of difficult light.  The detail in the tree branches is ridiculous for a "pin hole" lens.

Just looking at your FLIKR stuff.  Apart from the obvious telephoto lens, it's not obvious, quality wise, where the HTC photos run into the D80 photos.

I'm tempted to drive out to a favourite photo spot, armed with all my family's cast off phones and do a head-to-head.

If the exposure is spot on and within a credible range then the Desire S does very well. As soon as you want telephoto, action, or difficult exposures then it falls down on enlargement to full screen. There is almost no detail in the shadow - the D80 would have kept some (and the D610 a bit more) but one was at home and the other at work.

« Reply #195 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:35:23 pm »
nokia lumia 920         my g/f not impressed with the weather.... :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #196 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:45:52 pm »
Motorola MB525:

After my eye op in February. 
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #197 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:49:47 pm »
Motorola MB525:

After my eye op in February.

Eye op OR I hop

The buggers taken your other leg off!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #198 on: 29 October, 2014, 11:09:18 am »
Just got a new (Mk2) Motorola Moto G.  It's a £149 phone so nothing special but it has an 8Mp camera on the back and a 2Mp "selfie" camera on the front.

I'm always amazed by the pin-hole "selfie" cameras, that they manage to produce anything at all but check this out...

The top photo is in 6Mp mode (widescreen) and the bottom is the 2Mp "pin-hole" camera.  Perfectly usable for a 6x4 print.
In fact, in some respects, it's actually better.

The main camera resolves detail, colours and contrast better but I'm still impressed by the bottom image (after a bit of tweaking to get come contrast and sharpness back).

The lens is perhaps a millimetre in diameter at most.  Incredible.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #199 on: 03 November, 2014, 09:41:27 am »
My first chance to play with the MOTO G Mk2.  Oct 2104.

It's clear to me that, even with a fairly cheap (if you can consider a £150 phone cheap) phone, forgetting your "real" camera is getting to be much less of an issue, as long as you understand the limitations of the lens and sensor size.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.